“This ain't gastro pub food.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Ebrington Arms

The Ebrington Arms
Ranked #1 of 5 Ebrington B&B and Inns
london
“This ain't gastro pub food.....”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We went with friends who lived locally, but this was their first visit too.

Simply put this is really a restaurant with a small bar, rather than a gastro pub serving posh grub.

Everything from the welcome from attentive staff, slick waiting staff, and clearly a very talented chef in the kitchen. Someone has assembled a good team here.

The food was exquisite and you'd have been more than happy with this is a fancy London restaurant. No one wasted time taking photos of the food - it looked as good as it tasted and no one held back!

We have recommended The Ebrington Arms to many others already.

Pricing - all four had three courses and two bottles of decent red and we were in for forty quid a head - an alround bargain! In London this would have set you back another twenty quid a head.

And we hope to come back again when next in the Cotswolds.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bluetax

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Popped in today after a walk in Blockley, place was buzzing at 12.00 noon!
I had ox cheek, meltingly good, my wife had gurnard on tomato concasse, and my daughter haddock and chips, the chips incidentally were fantastic. Great beer selection, interesting wine list, and hooray lots of 500ml carafe wines, we had Les Galets, perfect for a lunchtime libation in moderation. Good breads too, selection of three, tasted fresh and home made. Photo of today's menu just posted.
A pub worth finding.

Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Rob N
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

The Cotswolds is always a good bet for food because the competition is fierce. Local, organic, fresh, seasonal are de rigeur in any Cotswolds restaurant worth its salt. The Ebrington Arms combines olde worlde pub charm with modern food. The atmosphere in the pub is spot on - warm, friendly, welcoming. The menu is everything a Michelin and Good Food Guide recommendation should be - including being weighty on price. The in-house smoked salmon was lovely, but too "nouvelle" - three teeny transparent slices for £6.50. The lamb was equally delicious, but equally miniscule and costing £18.50 - phew! We enjoyed the superb cheese board - particularly the Shropshire goat's cheese. But once again, £8.00 seems steep.
We will eat there again because my partner has deep pockets when it comes to rosette class food, but he will be paying again!

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank dingtonia
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

traditional but smart country pub with a foodie menu. I went for lunch with a friend and was pleased to see 5 or 6 choices for starters and mains - more than that and I worry about the quality and and know its a sign that the food isn't freshly prepared. The menu was enticing and written in the modern style of listing the ingredients or components so you have a great time discussing and theorising about what you might be presented with - some might find it off putting but I'm sure the friendly staff would be more than happy to elucidate. I eventually plumped for duck parfait with smoked duck breast and spiced granola (rather than the savoury wild garlic pannacotta) to start and had slow cooked lamb shoulder fashioned into a fried patty and served with rare pencil fillet, peas and baby broadbeans and lettuce with a salt baked celeriac'dauphinoise' as a main followed by a gorgeously runny chocolate and orange tart with orange curd icecream to finish. I love my food and I had serious issues trying to decide what to have as there were several things that sounded really interesting.....might have to go back soon...if only to have another pint of the Yubby beer brewed to order for the landlord (Ebrington is locally referred to as 'Yubberton').

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Franklin, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Fun, authentic pub, Highly recommend the cheese and tomato toastie; but, not the cold pork sandwich. it would have been better served hot. Chips were perfectly cooked. Would visit again and recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Went here for Easter Sunday lunch. It was relatively busy but not overpacked.
The food we ordered was very tasty, well thought out and presented. We shared 2 starters and the vegetarian main which was all very good, and in my opinion, reasonably priced. I have paid the same price to have really really bad pub food before, so hence me writing that I do think it is reasonable.

However, for the childs roast dinner, it was only on leaving that we had realised they didn't bring out the accompanying vegetables that came with it. at the time we were too hungry to notice! But this bit was disappointing, i'm sure had I have mentioned it, they would have resolved there and then.

service was good.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kay W
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I had planned for years to seize an opportunity to stay at this pub-hotel, which looks so enticing in its photos. Finally, it came. The building looks as good in person as in the photos, and a warm welcome awaits you from the moment you enter the front door. Could not be more complimentary about hostesses Sara, Leila, and Paris. The bartenders were also sturdy and helpful, as was the man in charge of the menu and wine (Jean-Marc). Food and ambiance were so good, with warming fires in mid-October to enliven the cozy eating and drinking areas, that we ended up taking all our dinners there for all three days of our stay,along with the included gourmet-quality breakfasts. I would agree with a reviewer preceding me that all this perfection comes at a price, which did not go down much for midweek or solo occupancy (we took two rooms). Nor was it anywhere close to sold out (which could justify a high price to ration limited supply). But the food and beverages were fairly priced, and we knew in advance we'd be paying a fairly dear price for country pub accommodations, however attractively done.

The owner, Jim, was friendly to us (though we saw less of him than staff); however, my glowing post-stay email to him did not meet with a response, which would have been nice. However, I guess that's the nature of the business: you are constantly planning and executing to make new memories for new guests. Finally, I was crestfallen that the village's noted author Susan Hill had recently moved away from Ebrington; but I was able to get some good reminiscences of her from the staff.

Room Tip: All the rooms I saw were charming and, given the bucolic location of the village, quiet.