“Cotswolds weekend”
Review of The Beckford

The Beckford
Ranked #1 of 1 Beckford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We booked this last minute which is something we never do.had a lovely room The Limes.Disappointing bar area as lighting was far too bright. Breakfast was good and we both sampled the omelettes.Outside area was not what we expected as photographs gave the impression that there was a large lawn at the back with tables and chairs. However in reality this area was to the front of the hotel and there was a marquee for weddings on the lawn

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Beckford

Reviewed 3 February 2013

We spent a night in a Luxury Premium double room, located in a separate building close to the A46. The room was clean & newly furnished, apart from the desk/dressing table which was scarred by old cigarette burns. It was also stone cold on our arrival. Since the room had no phone, we had to go across to the main building 3 times before the friendly & helpful staff discovered that our building had its own separate boiler which hadn't been switched on. In January. For pre-booked guests. Once this was rectified our room warmed up quickly, apart from the ensuite shower room radiator which stayed resolutely cold for the length of our stay. However, leaving the door open ensured that some of the bedroom's warmth trickled in.
We dined & breakfasted in the restaurant, where the staff were cheerful, friendly & efficient. The food was tasty & well-presented & we'd certainly eat there again.
We were visiting the area for a funeral & the wake was being held at this Inn. The management very kindly allowed us to leave our belongings in our room nearly 4hrs beyond the official check-out time, so that we could change back into our travelling clothes afterwards, at no extra cost.

Room Tip: Room 14 (The Willows) is very close to the busy A46. I took earplugs but my husband didn't &...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 January 2013

My husband and I recently stayed for a couple of nights just as part of a mini break. The room was lovely and clean, and the bed very comfortable. We ate in the first night and both had steak which was absolutely first class. Breakfasts were really enjoyable too , especially the quality of the sausages. Overall a very pleasant stay in a well run rural hotel, we will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 14 November 2012

Went to the Beckford last night with a friend. I ordered fish and chips and asked for garden peas instead of mushy peas. My friend ordered the fish cakes with chips and salad. When the meal arrived my peas didn't and was told intially that they were following. I started my meal without the peas and tasted the so call chuncky chips, which looked like chuncky slabs of potato and the taste was quite disgusting. My friend tasted hers with the same result. When my peas eventually arrived I said to the waitress that we both found the chips unpalatable, can't describe the taste, don't know if the potatoes were off or it was the soil in which they were grown or what. After offering to get another portion cooked I said no as my fish would be cold. Oh we can keep your fish warm under the heaters came the reply, to which again I said no as the fish would then be dried up. Eventually after some thought we were told that she could get us some new potatoes, which took some time to arrive and I couldn't believe that 5 small potatoes could take the place of 2 portions of chips. As I don't like new potatoes my friend tried one and said they tasted the same as the chips. We asked for the bill and were a little surprised to find that we had been charged the full amount. My friend asked to see the manager who expressed surprise as he didn't know we had had a problem!! We asked for a small reduction in cost, say 10%, then he said he would do what he could. He reduced the bill by 10% and gave us a card that we could redeem for 10% for our next meal. Needless to say with no actual apology and poor food we won't be going back.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Corsalass
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I heard that there was a new chef and that The Beckford was trying to go more up market by doing a fine dining menu. So we thought that we would give it a go. Being in the hospitality industry for the last 15 years I must say that we felt very disappointed. There is not enough choice of seasonal dishes and you feel like the menu was put together by somebody who does not buy food on the local market as I would expect from your local dining pub. Even basic stuff as bowl of seasonal veg reminded me of Christmas. My dessert was tasteless and my partners dish looked like a school dinner for a very expensive meal out. I believe you should stick to pub food because that is all what the kitchen is capable of.
If we visit again, we hope to see an improvement in the kitchen as they let down front of house. I am not a person who would complain in many occasions but I felt like everybody should know what to expect....

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Anna C
Reviewed 7 May 2012 via mobile

Have been a regular at the Beckford for some time and it's a great place with lovely rooms and good food. But service on our latest visit was a bit all over the place - people trying to do their best but slow, intermittent and everyone looked a bit stressed and dis organised. Just needs a bit of attention but otherwise a great place to eat or stay.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Booked here for breakfast for the first three mornings before going to cheltenham races! What a brilliant breakfast, efficient service and polite staff! See you next year!

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank fionageorge1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beckford
Hilton Puckrup Hall, Tewkesbury
#1 of 7 in Tewkesbury
Ellenborough Park
Ellenborough Park
#4 of 23 in Cheltenham

Been to The Beckford? Share your experiences!