“Wonderful stay and effective treatments, but...”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kalpetta
Ayurveda Yoga Villa
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Kalpetta
Exloo, The Netherlands
“Wonderful stay and effective treatments, but...”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

My stay at AYV - four weeks in January/February 2014 - did not have a good start; when I arrived at Calicut airport the promised car for the transfer was not there. As my plane had landed half an hour early, and I very quickly passed customs, I decided to wait for some time, but after an hour or so I did start to wonder if AYV itself maybe was just as virtual as its website. A phone call did reassure me, but then it was still half an hour before the driver turned up.
Having arrived at AYV I was offered a meal, and then shown to my room, in a herbal cottage. The room is spacious, and has a wonderful, shady veranda (just as all other rooms). After the long journey I was glad to be able to rest. At that moment I did not realize that I was quite lucky - later I found out that AYV is often overbooked. People then are lodged in a holiday resort called Pepper Green, about 1 km away, or other places much farther away. During my stay most of the time at least two, and often more people were staying outside. Between meals, treatments and doctor's consultations they could be found resting on benches in the veranda of the restaurant or in the lobby... Not really conducive to a benificial intensive panchakarma treatment.

From all this one might conclude that AYV is a terrible place to be - but no, on the contrary, once you're 'in', it's warm, welcoming and caring. This was my fifth panchakarma treatment, and certainly the best. Before I had been to more or less renowned places in Sri Lanka - and at AYV it became clear to me that in these other places they omit parts of the panchakarma treatment that people from the West do not particularly like. At AYV panchakarma is done in the traditional way, and that means it is not the wellness holiday some people expect, but it is all the more effective for it. Sometimes I did have a hard time, but then the therapists are so caring and supportive, and soon after the treatment I felt a whole lot better - physically, but also mentally. Also, the doctors have plenty of time for their patients and explain the treatments into detail. As they each have a limited number of patients, which they see on a daily basis, they know them well, and treatments are adapted according to the results. I have been back home for a month now, and I still follow the dietary advice my doctor gave me - she explained so well why it is necessary, that I am very motivated to keep it.

Now I haven't mentioned the other staff yet - all the people working in the restaurant, the kitchen, the pharmacy, the gardens, the cleaning ladies - they also do all they can to make you feel welcome, feel at home. A warm smile, a conversation, a few friendly words...

But it is not only the staff that make AYV such a wonderful place to stay. It's also the guests. They come from all over the world, and what they have in common is a open attitude to life, to other people. I've never been to a place where I met so many inspiring, interesting, funny and warm people as I did here.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo

5 Thank Jan K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Finnish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I have left AYV feeling privileged to be included in the life of an ayuvedic resort, committed to sharing the best of the culture, the beliefs, the skills, the food, and the beauty of a remote region of Kerala.
I used my time to rest, meet fellow guests, staff and, to some extent, local people on my daily walks among the paddy fields, coffee groves, coconut and banana plants, and beans ....yes, I watched beans grow! The river was a constant companion; we all heard about the tiger in the jungle, ... but we felt safe in our compound. I did see the glimpse of a wild elephant, and - amazing for India - happy looking, non threatening dogs, playing in the harvested paddy fields.

Staff were always friendly, helpful, and kind. The therapists gave very professional - and very tender, and caring treatments. The doctors were always available for overview, and in case of any specific concerns.

I would suggest: some planned induction for new guests on arrival - like a walk through the facilities and compound. I felt rather 'lost' after a long flight from Britain, losing a night's sleep, then a rather terrifying 4 hour drive (you get used to it, but it is an immersion shock - arrived and left safely, but scarily). Others, new to India, or from long flights, felt the same.
The receptionist, Aniz, helped me adjust, with his friendly warmth and consideration. I think the staff are patient with arrival trauma; but some thought to give a more particular welcome and introduction might help. A simple map of the public areas - yoga rooms, prayer hall, 'hut' for sitting near river, and the names and lay-out of the cottages?

Room Tip: rooms on either side of the 3 room block have a side window, and more light. No rooms, in fact, hav...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

4 Thank heather a
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We were adviced this place by our ayurvedic doctor in Holland as being one of the best authentic ayurvedic treatment centers. After 3 weeks of panchakarma ( the detoxification treatment) we can say that all the positive feedback from other guests is really true indeed. Although the whole cleaning out programme can give you some difficult moment, the whole staff and all the people who take care of you (4 doctors, all the massage and treatment people, the puja and kalari master, the yoga teacher, the kitchen staff, housekeeping cleaners and gardeners) are there to be at service to you and make your stay as pleasant as possible. There is a vibrant, loving energy in this place, where it is tangible that everbody working here is very happy to be part of this ayurvedic caretaking family. They get a lot of thankfulness and happy smiles back from all the guests and this works like a perpetuum mobile! To end I would like to share 3 tips:
1. All the guesthouses are more or less the same on the inside, only front and middle are less noisy than the back cottages, since in these you hear more sounds from the indian rural people living next to the ayurvedic premises (but NO music and they go to bed very early). AND if you feel something is missing, you can kindly ask and they will provide you, if possible.
2. The ayurvedic whole body massages with oil are traditionally done in a rhythmic way, with a certain pressure and speed. My impression was that sometimes this was done in a routine way, where the strokes were done so fast that it made me personally restless. It took me many days to become aware of this. Once I asked to slow down, the massages became beneficial and relaxing for me! They always ask you: "pressure okay, mam?" but forget to ask: "speed okay, mam?"
3. You don't need to bring old clothes for oil treatment, because they now have long treatment dresses (also for men) that you can buy for very little and the laundry service is very cheap, so make use if this for your own comfort.
4. Finally a tip for those who really seek optimal quietness in which to undergo this internal cleaning process: they do have 6 guesthouses way up in the mountain, with same treatment care, 1 doctor, same balanced food diet, yoga teacher etc. For booking this hill-top place send them an email for more detail and information ♡♡♡

Room Tip: All guesthouses are the same and when you miss something you can tell and they will try to provide...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

6 Thank fardiyah
Willebadessen, Germany
Reviewed 1 March 2014

It is not a holiday resort, but a serious no frills clinic practising authentic Ayurveda treatments and diet. The excellent doctors I saw daily listened to me and took notice, as I did them. I felt confident all along that they truly wanted to help me.

I arrived at the AYV with a list of remaining side effects from Chemo and Radio therapy, as well as fear of the disease returning, of which each were treated successfully. I wanted to help cure myself too, with their help, so opened my mind and belief to it, knowing instinctively when I booked up it was the right choice. When I left after 6 weeks care, I was given several packages of medication to take home to continue taking over the next 6 months which is an extra boost to my confidence. Some problems cannot be cured overnight and need more time.

Very quickly you feel you have been welcomed into a big close family. I certainly felt a belonging to that family and there was a tug on my heart strings when I left to go home. All the staff work hard, willingly, and always with smiles and prayers. Pooja, Bhajan, meditation, breath, and yoga also all played a big part in the healing process.

I had no problems at all with the booking and enjoyed a perfect spot in a back cottage, surrounded by exotic butterfly and bird filled shrubs and trees, giving both sun and shade. The rooms with good en suite bathrooms are also very spacious and cleaned regularly. You will be asked daily if you require a change of bed linen or towels, or have other requests.

The wider surroundings are beautiful. The river has a special mesmerizing feel to it, full of positive spiritual energy. There is space to roam up and down the river bank, or to the village, and a short walk away is a raft crossing to Kuruva Island, where I particularly felt a powerful pull of mystique spiritual energy. As I am a lover of nature and wildlife, I found plenty to photograph and observe, finding it easy to slip away alone for a while.

The final 6th week I stayed at the Udayigiri Retreat up in the mountains, which was equally as satisfying. It is much smaller and quieter, and ideal for rejuvenation after treatment.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
9 Thank Jane212014
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Hello, I'm Cristina. I spent four weeks at AYV on February. Sunny and warm weather. High energy place with beautiful natural surroundings, lovely and inspiring riverside. I went there for a check up and I discovered ayurveda way of life that enchanted me as it is an holistic approach of human being.Excellent physicians and therapists, with daily consultation and treatment, good cooking, kind and competent staff supporting me on each stage of the cure. Explanations and personal advices during my stay which helped me to understand and trust my body and have a positive attitude to profit from this "cleaning process" . I got back home with medicines and practical daily chart to follow the process I started at AYV.I highly recommend this cure to those who want to take care of their physical, mental and spiritual balance and maintain health and happy daily life .

Room Tip: Chose front river view cottages
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank crisoli555
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 27 February 2014

After some research on the net a couple of years ago we chose Ayurveda yoga villa as the one to receive the kind of treatment we wanted (my husband suffers from Rheumatoid Arthritis). We have since been three times sampling both properties - one on the river and one in the mountains and have found them both to be excellent for the Ayurvedic treatments, surroundings and the staff are very friendly and helpful.
We have met many like minded people (who look for a natural, holistic way of healing) and many of them have told us that they had visited other centres, however, this was the best.
As stated in their literature it is not a resort with swimming pool and other western type treatments but a full body and mind treatment which allows you to get the most out of this kind of treatment. My husband has found this very effective and we are planning another visit to keep this auto immune disease in check. They also don't give you false promises and have told him that his rheumatoid arthritis cannot be cured but they can improve his condition and this has proved to be the case.
The head doctor Dr Vipin is there full time now and is very thorough and assesses everyone individually then recommends the treatments needed. There are doctor's appointments every day and treatments as well as yoga twice a day. Mureli the pharmacist and yoga teachers Shakti and Sunil are very spiritual and enthusiastic teachers.
The whole package which includes full board, consultations and treatments is very reasonable and the accommodation is comfortable.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank atodmccarthy
Mauritius
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

My journey to Ayurveda yoga Villa started last year during a casual conversation with a friend of mine who narrated his trip to me about a break from our mundane activities and the positive changes he noticed after his trip. A conversation which I almost forgot till December when I read an article on ayurveda holistic approach to the body,mind and soul. It was a turning point when I think in retrospect which encouraged me to research more on Ayurveda and AYV which my friend mentioned to me, I booked my stay and flight the same day for Feb. After a trip to UK for some office work,my flight to Kozhikode was approx 12 hrs inclusive of the stop @ Dubai.The rollercoaster ride to AYV is approx 3h45min which include atleast 1hr of hill ascent.On reaching AYV I was greeted by the receptionist to fill some form before being allocated my room.With still the jet lag effect I consulted the ayurvedic doctor and a relaxation oil massage was scheduled in the evening.My first night was a bit awful since I have never slept on such a hard mattress and no TV and WiFi was a bit difficult to cope with.The next day my yoga class was a challenge to me being completely ignorant of the poses n stretching require but after a few gentle classes in the evening,I was gaining confidence.I met all the guests who were of various nationalities and came to AYV through either tripadvisor or a friend recommendation like myself.AYV is not resort but more like an ashram in the 21th century with some modern amenities to suit western exigencies.All staffs were really helpful and I must say their overall attitude made my stay very pleasant,special mention to Kishore.After a few days,I really started feeling more energised and less stressed, in addition I started to notice some few changes such as my eyes iris was browner to mention a few.It's highly advised to bring some books and a few movies in your laptop since after it will keep you engaged in between treatment/consultation time.
I would say that AYV has some negative aspects but the positive ones outweighs them.If you are looking for true Ayurveda which is not only limited to ayurvedic treatments but for a holistic approach then AYV is definitely worth it.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank RVKJ08
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalpetta
Sharoy Resort
#2 of 7 in Sultan Bathery
Orange County Resorts Kabini
Orange County Resorts Kabini
#1 of 2 in Nagarhole National Park

Been to Ayurveda Yoga Villa? Share your experiences!