“The perfect place for an Ayurveda retreat!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ayurveda Yoga Villa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kalpetta
Ayurveda Yoga Villa
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Kalpetta
Shanghai, China
“The perfect place for an Ayurveda retreat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

I stayed at AYV in May/June 2014 for 4 weeks to do a Panchakarma treatment. Overall my experience at AYV was excellent and I had a wonderful stay. The treatments were very effective; also other guests (who had discipline) had wonderful results and insights about their individual constitutions during my stay. Dr Jeena was my primary doctor. While consultations and treatments went well, it would have been great to consult with the head doctor Vipin once in a while. All the staff were extremely friendly and accommodating, including therapist, kitchen and service staff, house cleaning and the yoga yoga masters.
I stayed in a herbal cottage at the beginnings and transferred into a riverside front cottage after some days, due to construction noise next to the grounds of villa no 1. While both types of villas had its pros and cons I actually preferred the riverside front cottages as they are brighter and larger.
The environment around AYV is great, especially the river in front of the compound.
Overall a great experience which absolutely met my expectations. Great value for money, so that I would definitely come back for another treatment in the future.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Finnish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

It is all true. All the good reviews are all true. Before confirming my reservation I was in doubt asking myself "How could this place get so many great reviews??? All these people can not possible be wrong or did they get paid off to write them???". They are ALL right and we ALL write the great reviews out of our free will. The staff, the location, the beautiful nature, the hospitality, the wonderful people you meet, the new experiences, the love, the care, the guidance....
Doctor Anu has a permanent place in my heart. Her beauty comes from deep inside of her and manifests itself clearly on her outside. Her warmth, her care, her guidance, her spirituality continues to move me every time I think of her. She gave me the tools to start my new quest and make some major life changes, without her it would never be possible and I can not thank her enough. My beautiful, sweet treatment girls, how I wish they spoke English so I could tell them how wonderful they are - I was in tears when I had my last treatment and I miss them so much.
Monisha is another gem. Due to many reasons my booking was a bit back and forth, complicated to say the least. Monisha showed me nothing but kindness and patience, my thanks hold no limits and she is one of the greatest assets Ayurveda Yoga Villa has.
I would have given them 5 stars and I will explain why I didn't:
At the end of my stay they brought a new yoga teacher and I am still surprised about his behavior. He started making visits to the guest's cottages (mine included) and acted like some sort of therapist. Obviously he had reviews our files and with that information he probed, lectured and tried to find our weak spots. He told me I should stop reading the sort of book I was reading (a thriller) since those kind of books are stupid. Clearly he did not know that I hold a degree in creative writing, that I have read most of the "heavy" historical literature (Russian, French, German authors amongst others) but when I am enjoying "time off" I like to read books that are more "light". He also told me that since I was "getting old (I am in my mid 40's) I should do less demanding yoga, I don't have much time left and I will loose my flexibility very soon". Additionally he made comments about my past and very personal aspects about my life, things it takes me years and years to discuss with anyone. In the end, for him to walk around as if he has it all figured out, chasing guests around so he can analyze them and act like a professional therapist (which takes years and years and years to become) is completely inappropriate, unacceptable and unprofessional. He knows NOTHING about me (and many others he chased after) and it should be MY choice if I want to speak with him or not. Yes, at the end I asked him to please leave and instead he went to speak about me with another guest! With this I would like to end my review and apart from the dark cloud the yoga teacher created I am giving them my highest recommendations.

Room Tip: Herbal Cottages are a must for anyone who values complete silence.
11 Thank GretaNYC
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

The most beautiful smiles that warms the hart and soul of anyone.
The people at Udayagiri are like family, old friends that you have met before..
The treatments are amazing, powerful healing.. Ayurveda from heart and soul,and the food is made with love and care, very tasteful.
A place to relax and enjoy the nature, the beauty, the sunset is a gift to start the day..
I'd wish that that everyone could have the opportunity in a life time to have this experience.
The combination of all the things and yoga & Puja gave my mind peaceful and serenity. I'm back home now, but for sure I've changed some behaviors that i needed to change.
I'm feeling healthier, happier, with a huge smile on my face..
Thank you Udaya Giri friends! Untill next time

Room Tip: Rooms up up up.. Not the first one down, close to the kitchen..
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank VeraMauro
Kuwait City, Kuwait
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

It has been an excellent get away ... the place is beautiful and peaceful .. had been suffering from insomnia and anxiety.. being here has helped me relax and live in the present and now i am able to live normally back to work and back to my family the way i used to be before... excellent friendly young staff ever willing to help ....an excellent yoga teacher ..sunil..thank you..

Room Tip: laxhmi was very noisy...
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

The two weeks stay was a good start to change my lifestyle to a more regulated, healthier one and be myself again. The people there are amazing and show you through their smiles and actions that life is there to enjoy and every problem has a solution. Being in the middle of palm trees and fields, close by a river allows to be in touch with nature and realize how important it is. The huts are very comfortable and clean. A wide program is offered and it is up to you in what you want to participate, meditation, yoga, pooja, kalari (if you want to sweat), one to more Ayurveda treatments a day, one Ayurveda doctor consultation every day.

Be aware that this place is a lot about Ayurveda (I did not really inform myself before going), so you can get a lot of special treatments especially if you do panchakarma. Anyway it is really making you feel yourself again and cleanses your body. So just enjoy :-).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Binmann
Cologne, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed here with my partner for 6 days and we really enjoyed our stay. During many back and forths in my bookings due to personal reasons, I was so impressed by the professional and warm handling of my requests by Monisha, that I got motivated to make everything possible to visit AYV. We were picked up at Mararikulam, a car drive of about 10-12 hours away, which was very easy going and also professionally executed. The restaurant manager accompanied us and he was very helpful and friendly during our entire stay. The treatments were good, the care by Dr. Anu excellent and adapted to our needs. She was sincerely concerned about our well-being and did a fantastic job in consulting us, especially since my partner is an Ayurvedic practitioner himself.

I highly recommend taking Kalari classes with the extraordinary Kalari Master and Guru Mureedharan, who also did amazing Kalari massages (the best massages I had during my stay) and very touching and inspiring Puja sessions in the morning and evening. Coming from a traditional Kalari family, Mureedharan takes the training sessions very seriously and puts his heart into it. It taught me a lot about my body and my capabilities and helped me to get in shape quickly - it is physically very demanding but one of the most special and effective trainings I have ever had.

The yoga teacher Shakti had a voice of an angel when she sang the mantras and we felt very well taken care of by the entire staff. The restaurant staff, especially the manager, was amazing and the food the best I had in my one month stay in Kerala.

Overall it was a great stay at a resort which is down-to-earth, making its own medicines and taking the Panchakarma very seriously. The location by the river is perfect to get grounded and let go of your stress.
If you expect luxury and a perfect set-up in the treatment rooms or villas, you are not at the right place. The rooms are very simple and an overall renovation would be needed. Also a better space for the Kalari massages and a renovation of the floor in the Kalari hall would be a great improvement. However, since these are just details, it is definitely worth visiting AYV and next time I will make sure to stay longer. Thank you to the entire staff for this warm welcome and I hope to see you all again soon.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Vivienne D
Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Ayurveda Yoga Villa managed to transform my life in two weeks following extremely thorough consultation resulting in a program that has left me with a profound feeling of well being.I cannot praise all the staff highly enough for an exceptionally therapeutic experience and i am planning a return visit next year

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank lesley w
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalpetta
Sharoy Resort
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,279 reviews
Hiliya Resort
Hiliya Resort
#2 of 2 in Kenichira

Been to Ayurveda Yoga Villa? Share your experiences!