“disappointing”

The Hollow Bottom
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
“disappointing”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

we visited The Hollow Bottom in May for a birthday weekend. Its a bit off the beaten track, and due to the rotten weather we weren't able to go out (it was lashing rain and very windy and we had no suitable shoes/clothing).

The pub itself is lovely, very olde worlde, our bedroom was large, clean and comfortable and the staff were very obliging and welcoming. However, I did feel that the drinks were expensive and the food was not that good (nothing out of the ordinary and expensive for what it was). The breakfast not good, the eggs did not look particularly appetising and the fried bread left a lot to be desired! (dripped fat onto plate when you bit into it - not pleasant!). The room was not cheap - it cost over £100 for the two of us for one night - paid less for better even in London.

All in all, an disappointing weekend

4 Thank stb51
TalkisGood, Owner at The Hollow Bottom, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Thank you for your comments on your stay with us. We are delighted that you found the pub to be lovely, clean with our obliging staff. Both our Menus on food & drink are being reviewed at present to help those customers on a tight budget and there will be some radical price changes. We have recently been awarded "Cotswolds Best Pub Food" from our local Food & Drink producers and we disagree strongly that our food is ordinary. Very sorry about the "rotten weather" and your lack of "suitable clothing" but I am afraid that is something even out of our powers! We hope to welcome you back one sunny day,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
West Wales
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We arrived late, we had the room overlooking the front. Room was good and bed comfortable. The bathroom was across the hall and large. Yes, one of our towels were a bit frayed too...but the shower was good. Cooked Breakfast was the best that I had during our week away. I had an omelette with toast. Service was good and the horse theme seemed to be a good idea. Excellent price prebooked via hotels.com .Definately go back when I'm in the area again

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
TalkisGood, Owner at The Hollow Bottom, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
Thank you for a lovely review and for a rating of 4 out of 5. We're glad you enjoyed your breakfast and it was the best you'd had over your stay. We have now replaced all of our towels. (It was on our todo list). We're glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forwrad to welcoming you back. Hugh
Reviewed 7 March 2013

I booked this as a lastminute cheap night away for myself and my other half. The price I paid was unbelievably good value for money. I won't disclose how much as I know I got it at a reduced rate and it would be unfair on the owners for me to tell the world how much they charged because in my opinion they could fully justify charging twice as much and it would be good value for money.

We stayed in the old converted building at the rear of the pub. It was enormous and beautifully renovated. The bathroom was bigger than some front rooms I have seen.

We arrived very late at night but the owner still offered to make us food which was a lovely touch. We didn't experience the pub itself as we were too tired but it had a large roaring fire and had a very local feel about it which is a dying bread these days.

The breakfast was amazing and really set me up for the day. I had the full English which was cooked to perfection.

The only negatives I can think of are:

1) The pub is in such a peaceful area that my old sat nav couldn't find it. Not the pubs fault. Megan my satnav has now been retired
2) The room we stayed in was so big I struggled to see the TV. This negative is just my fault for being blind, not the pubs fault.
3) My biggest complaint though is that the bed was soo comfortable my other half got a fantastic night sleep so I had to put up with heavy snoring all night. In respect of this I demand a full refund, or just a pack of the yummy sausages that were served at breakfast :)

Joking aside, I really would recommend this place to anybody. Yes it may get loud in the bar, yes the floors might creak a bit but you booked or are looking at booking a room in a busy thriving local pub, what do you expect? I personally was just happy to see a pub that clearly manages to stay afloat in such difficult times.

If the owners are reading this in would just like to say a big thank you and hopefully we will get to see you again soon.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank my0pinion
TalkisGood, Owner at The Hollow Bottom, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
The owner is reading this, and the owner thanks you so much for such a lovely review! I can only appologise that your husband found the bed so comfortable that he proceeded to snore loudly all night! Maybe on your return you could put him in another room!!? Our sausages are from local butcher Dave Moore of Mickelton. We find his meat to be perfection and he never lets us down. We're glad you agree. Again, thank you so much for a lovely review. We look forward to welcoming back in the near future. Hugh.
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Booked here as a last minute overnight break at a reduced rate, staying in the small double above the bar; the last minute discount made it good value for money and although the room was basic and towels a bit frayed around the edges, it was warm and clean. There is some noise from the bar (not unpleasant - someone serenading us with "Danny Boy" around midnight.) The bathroom was two short steps across the corridor (the two larger rooms are ensuite); there was a huge bath with shower over and limitless supplies of piping hot water. Service was good in the bar and the restaurant; we had ok scallops followed by pleasant and plentiful venison stew and pie and a delicious sticky toffee pudding. Breakfast was the usual cereals and toast followed by traditional cooked breakfast or haddock and eggs. The pub is handy for Stowe, Bourton etc and in a quiet village

Room Tip: Bindaree room being in carpark at rear may be quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
TalkisGood, Owner at The Hollow Bottom, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
Thank you for a honest review. Its lovely to hear you enjoyed your stay and found it to be good value for money. We have now replaced all of our towels and hope you will return to enjoy some more of our menu.
Midlands, UK
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We've just returned from a superb two night stay at The Hollow Bottom and already can't wait to go back! It's a beautiful charming pub with roaring log fires, a friendly atmosphere and a really warm welcome from the staff and locals.

Our room 'Mrs Muck' was so cosy with lovely views of the surrounding countryside and an amazing shower! The food is incredible and very reasonably priced - we had the pleasure of being there for Burns Night and every course was absolutely delicious and washed down with tasty wines (and a wee drop of whiskey!!) The breakfast is scrumptious - the best we've ever had - and set us up for a great day out at the races.

Hugh & his team work tirelessly to give you a wonderful stay from start to finish. It's like staying with lifelong friends - nothing is too much trouble, and you instantly feel very much at home! We got a lift in the pub minibus to and from the races - a really nice touch and meant we could have a few drinks without worrying about how we'd get back!

Our meal on the second night was equally delicious - we had roast pork (the roasties and crackling are perfection!) and the burger - and can highly recommend both!

We've had a good dose of TLC, great laughs, amazing meals - and look forward to visiting again soon!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
TalkisGood, Owner at The Hollow Bottom, responded to this review, 28 January 2013
Thank you so much for a lovely review. We loved having you here and were glad to hear you enjoyed our Burns Night too.... possibly one of my favourite nights at The Hollow Bottom. Thank you for highlighting the work my team put in, I really am blessed with such wonderful people!! Hopefully we'll be seeing you again very soon. Hugh
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Stayed here with my Husband for my Birthday. Lovely friendly welcome, bedroom clean and spacious with a good variety of teas and coffee facilities. The weather was really cold and frosty but we were so warm and snug. Log fire in the bar..lovely. Breakfast both mornings superb,and we ate there both nights...food is absolutely delicious!!! Good choice and well presented. The only critisism we have is that it is quite a way from civilisation but this did not bother us as we really were there for a relaxing weekend, though we did get our christmas shopping done! All in all a thouroughly nice place...and the locals are very friendly! Would definately visit again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to do some Christmas Shopping too!! We hope to welcome you back in the near future. Hugh
berrow
Reviewed 20 January 2013

only stayed for one night ,but would definitely go back. staff were really friendly,the food and meat quality was first class.we stayed in the bindaree room which is totally separate from the rest of the building,so we did not have to worry about our dogs barking or making a noise with direct access outside for late night wees.the locals on saturday night were most welcoming,brilliant atmosphere.we will definitely go back.thanks for a lovely weekend (even though it was snowing).

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank abicook
Thanks for a lovely review, we're glad we could live up to your expectations and that you were still able to enjoy your stay even with the snow! We're glad you enjoyed our Bindaree room and that the dogs were happy too! It was lovely to have you here and hopefully we'll see you again soon. Hugh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guiting Power
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,047 reviews
Clarence Court Hotel
Clarence Court Hotel
#4 of 22 in Cheltenham

Been to The Hollow Bottom? Share your experiences!