“Lovely Weekend Stay”

The Cheltenham Chase Hotel - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Brockworth
Reviewed 15 July 2012

My husband and I arrived Friday afternoon for a weekend stay on our Breakaway membership. Check in was welcoming and friendly, and the room we had asked for, had been allocated to us. Dinner was a lovely relaxing affair both evenings, we tend to eat early so usually benefit from good service and a choice of where to sit.

The breakfasts were lovely both days and the staff did well to keep up with demand. The breakfast staff do a very good job of trying to keep track of guests, despite some ignorant ones not waiting to be seated, and just walking in!!!

We enjoyed our free cocktails & strawberries & cream on Saturday afternoon (courtesy of breakaway membership), which were much appreciated after spending several hours shopping in the nearby Gloucester Docks Outlet Shopping Village.

The hotel is set in a lovely location, has plenty of free parking, lovely spacious rooms and modern bathrooms and is a credit to the Q Hotel Chain. We shall be back!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
J_Sibbald-Wall, General Manager at The Cheltenham Chase Hotel - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Thank you so much for your fabulous feedback! I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with as and managed to fit in some Retail Therapy at the Docks! Your comments have been passed on to the team here who will be so pleased to hear that their efforts do not go unrecognised.
Thank you once again and we'll hopefully see you again soon!

Reviewed 14 July 2012

Stayed here 1 night as a solo female traveller. 1st room was ground floor at the rear of the hotel with no mobile phone signal. Asked to be moved and ended up on the second floor. Both rooms were clean but both had 2 single beds which I thought was a bit unusual. Aircon wasn't working which made for a stuffy night and bath didn't drain properly when in the shower. For a busy hotel breakfast was a bit shambolic, not enough staff. After waiting 5 minutes to be seated I eventually helped myself. After reading previous poor reviews about dinner I went to the Toby Carvery next door which was quite nice.

• Stayed: July 2012

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback regarding your stay at The Cheltenham Chase Hotel.

I can assure you that we do appreciate such constructive feedback. As a solo female guest we would not normally allocate rooms on the ground floor and we have since re-trained our team accordingly - please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

We do have double and twin bedded rooms within the hotel. When the room is sold as single occupancy we would try to allocate a double bedded room subject to availability however this is not always possible.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 14 July 2012

Buiness trip in middle of a busy week
Nice hotel, good room service and staff helpful. Good selection of food and lounge area light and airy - felt safe sitting there sipping a glass of wine on my own

Breakfast fresh and swift service

My only concern was being on the ground floor as a single femal

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
J_Sibbald-Wall, General Manager at The Cheltenham Chase Hotel - A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the hotel.
I appreciate the concerns that travelling as a female can throw-up and am delighted that you felt safe and secure staying with us. We have a great night team that monitor access to the property at night vigilantly and ensure our guests are completely safe.
Thanks again for your great feedback, we hope to see you soon.
Jennifer Sibbald-Wall

Reviewed 12 July 2012

I stay at this hotel a fair amount with work and its a really good quality hotel. Always nice and clean, nice spacious rooms, friendly reception staff etc. And cheap films at £2 which is great when your away with work and are bored.
I had a problem booking this time and when i complained the hotel manager took the time to call me personally which was really appreciated, the problem was sorted and i found when i arrived id been given an room upgrade.
The only slight downside is the foods not great, i had the salmon, it was pretty dry with 4 boiled spuds and a bit of salad, no sauce or anything and find it quite expensive for the quality of food served at night.
The breakfast however is excellent and they serve probably the best porridge i have ever had.
all in all by far and away the best hotel in the area.

Room Tip: the standard rooms are very good
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback. I am so pleased that we were able to overcome the issue that you experienced with the reservation process and it' great to hear that you are very happy with your regular stays at The Chase.
I have passed your comments regarding the salmon dish on to our Chef who will take any action necessary to rectify this for the future - thank you for bringing this to our attention and I hope that you will accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.
We hope that you will continue to use The Chase as your home away from home whilst on business!

Reviewed 11 July 2012

We were on a 2 day coach holiday to The Cotswolds. Having stayed in Q hotels before we knew the hotel would be good. It lived up to expectations and gave us a very comfortable overnight stay. Being in a large group and seeing another coach party arrive at the same time as ours we knew the service in the restaurant would be limited. However, the food was nice and the few niggles were just down to lack of staff to cater for the number of guests. We would certainly stay here again on another trip to this area.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed to be the same, so any one would be good.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Cheltenham Chase. I'm so pleased that you had a comfortable stay with us and hope that you might choose to return perhaps as an independent leisure guest soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

My husband and i stayed at this hotel from 6th - 8th July 2012. The hotel facilites were very good the rooms were very comfortable and a good size. I used the pool facilites on both days and enjoyed all their facilites.
We booked a table in the restaurant on the 6th July for 8pm sadly this did not live up to the rest of the services we received in the hotel and spa.
We received the starters of soup after 15 minutes, but sadly no one came to speak to us nor did our main course arrive. At 9.05 i asked what had happened to our meal we were told the meal would be a couple of minutes, sadly by 9.15 we left the restaurant having travelled all day and still waiting for our evening meal 1 hour and 15minutes later. The waiter service was also very poor no one came to see if we needed more drinks or try and apologies for the delay. The restaurant was not overly full. On leaving the hotel that evening i informed the reception we had left without our evening meal and was going elsewhere to find some food. The receptionist asked what our room number was. At no time in the following 2 days did any member of the hotel staff try and communicate with us or apologies for the appalling service. I was very dissappointed in what i was hoping was going to be a very enjoyable experiance and we would have certainly eaten there on the Saturday night if Fridays had been of a quality service. I was concerend that the breakfast was going to be as disorganised but i am glad to say this was not the case the food was good and plentiful. The organisation and the delivery of the restaurant needs a complete review as this provides a poor review of what is other wise a lovely hotel.

1  Thank Jackie1410
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your detailed feedback regarding your stay. I am sorry that your visit to our restaurant did not meet with your expectations and hope that you will accept our sincere apologies for any disappointment caused.
I can assure you that we really do value our customer feedback, good and bad, and your comments will be used to re-train our team as necessary. It is also disappointing to learn that we were unable to follow up your comments during your stay. I can assure you that this is certainly not a true reflection of our normal standards and we will address this immediately.
Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

Recently decided to eat at the Hotel restaurant after visiting before and having a very nice experience.

Unfortunately this was not repeated.

Couple of bad things.

On arrival we sat in the bar, I went to the bar to order drinks fully anticipating what the price would be so that was no shock. What took me by surprise was the unfriendly service that went with the price tag. Not a smile in sight and when I asked for a dinner menu to look at it all I got was "we don't have one to hand......" No offer to get one for us and it was actually another customer who went back to his own table and got us one.

When we went in for dinner the young lady serving us seem uninterested and lacked the 4 star service you expect. Over all she wasn't that bad it was just a combination of little things.

It was not all bad though!

Some good things.

The menu was interesting with a good selection without been overwhelming with choice. The food was ok, but the pri pri chicken could have done with a bit more ummffff.

Desserts were nice but not great value in terms of portion size for £5.50.

Although we did not receive great service it was clear that the table next to us been served by a different waitress were having a very different experience.

Over all it was not the best evening meal out but I would try again based on our previous visit towards the end of 2011 when everything was superb.

2  Thank Alastair P
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased to hear that you would consider returning despite the issues you experienced at Dinner.
I can assure you that this is certainly not a true reflection of our normal standards of service. Your comments have been discussed with the team here in order to make the necessary improvements and I hope that you will accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.
I trust that all other aspects of your stay with us was enjoyable and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockworth
Jurys Inn Cheltenham
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings
Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards

Been to The Cheltenham Chase Hotel - A QHotel? Share your experiences!