“A very good hotel let down by the restaurant”

The Cheltenham Chase Hotel - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Brockworth
Wales
“A very good hotel let down by the restaurant”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I stayed two nights on a spa break package with my husband and our friends - another couple. We arrived at the hotel at around midday and was hopeing to drop our luggage off while we explored Cheltenham. We were delighted to be informed by a very pleasant and professional looking lady on reception that our rooms were ready. We headed to our rooms and were very happy to find that they were spacious, clean, modern and well equipped. We then headed to the spa to confirm our treatment times for the next day and headed into Cheltenham town centre, which is a lovely place to shop.

Our spa package included bed, breakfast, lunch on one day and evening meal both nights. We eat in the restaurant on the first night. The menu was a bit limited but we ordered 3 courses each. The mushroom soup was Luke warm and was supposed to be served with a crusty roll but it did not arrive until about 10 mins after receiving the soup, the main courses were ok but risotto was awful, the desserts were lovely. Service was slow but just about acceptable.

No complaints about breakfast, plenty of choice and tasty. Lunch was good too. We enjoyed the day in the spa, the staff were very friendly and the wet facilities were very good. Our treatments were wonderful but there is one thing that needs addressing - the relax lounge. It is a very small room with four loungers and two chairs. Apart from four loungers in the pool area this is the only area in which you can relax, which is totally inadequate for the amount of people who want to use it.

We booked a table for 7.30pm for our evening meal and arrived at the restaurant a little ahead of that time and was shown straight to our table. We placed our order and waited one and a quarter hours for our starter to arrive. We complained to our waitress who apologised and said that there was a large function at the hotel which was causing a delay in the kitchen, we expressed our dissatisfaction and was told that our complaint would be passed on to the manager. We waited around 45 mins for our main course to arrive and the burgers were burnt and hard. Another complaint which was also being reported to the manager. From The time we sat down to the time we received our desserts (which were lovely) two and three quarter hours had passed, two complaints which were supposedly sent to the restaurant manager but no visit from the manager at all. There is obviously a managment problem in the restaurant.

It's a real shame about the restaurant because otherwise we all had a lovely weekend, but if I was to return I would not buy a package which included an evening meal.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank mikcol
General M, General Manager at The Cheltenham Chase Hotel - A QHotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear mikcol
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at The Cheltenham Chase Hotel.
It certainly sounds like you enjoyed your stay overall which is great to hear. I hope that you will accept our sincere apologies for the delays experienced in the restaurant. We are working hard on our food standards and food service at present and we will be introducing a new menu in the next few weeks so guest comments such as yours is invaluable to us.
Keith Turnbull

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 4 April 2014

A really nice and tidy hotel with four stars. The reception area is warm and welcomed. The staff friedly und helpful all the time. I was on my way to the hotel and booked a table in the restaurant at short notice and it wasn't a problem. Even after I have asked to shuffle me forward due to earler arriving it wasn't a matter.

The restaurant is warm and friendly too and we enjoyed our dinner (it was part of a special offer and we can definitively recommend such a offer). Only one minor issue was during our order we received the information that we couldn't get our wished dish due to no longer available. The menu list is quite tight too, so we had the problem to find something else. I did the wrong choice but it was my mistake. Another minor point is that we were in the mood to order some wine but after getting the wine list it took about 20 minutes the waitress to ask, so we decided to stick to the Aperitifes and we got a long drink later at the bar.

The breakfast was served as buffet in the restaurant and we can't complain anything. Tea, coffee, toast, beans, fruits (a full english breakfast plus).

The room was tidy, nice and we had space enough. Everything was fine apart from two minor things. Fistly and this is the biggest one the matress was a bit old and on my side I felt like lying in a well. I was able to sleep therefore a minor issue. Secondly the bathroom is very small, this not really a problem but there was no heater inside and it was very cold on the tiles, especially for my wife :-)

But in the end a really nice hotel with a friendly staff and we can definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: We had a standard room and it was really nice and appropriate.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear torstensuess
Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to write a constructive review regarding your stay with us. We welcome all of our customer feedback and certainly use it to maintain and improve our standards for future and returning guests.
It was great to hear that you enjoyed the majority of your stay and we will certainly take on board your comments regarding the service of wine and the comfort of your mattress so thank you for bring these matters to my attention.
Cambs. UK
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I suspect this hotel is not accustomed to catering for many people during the week. Last night we ordered Duck.... No duck, we ordered pizza.... No pizza. Tonight we asked first, anything off the menu... No sir please just order. There were six of us, two ordered Duck guess what.... No Duck. Soup without bread roll , the lovely blond waitresses are not at fault they just bring the bad news with a resigned smile. This morning the porridge took 20 mins and the poached egg was hard, looking forward to breakfast in the morning.
Btw the rooms are ok and the staff are friendly. Restaurant management probably needs a review.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Longing-for-peace
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review, and I am pleased that you appreciated our rooms and the friendliness of the team here.
We were sorry to read your comments regarding breakfast service and we will utilise your feedback in re-training our team in the restaurant.
I hope that you will accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Thame, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Arrived spa 5 mins after last admission due to delay at check-in (no-one at desk) even though only wanted few mins relax in hot-tub told closing pool 40 mins before published time. Next morning no self-service hot food, staff confusion, eventually ordered cooked breakfast arrived 30 mins later: these experiences disrupted whole purpose of being there: to relax & enjoy time out.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear dmf56trips
Thank you for posting a review. I have discussed your comments with the Leisure Manager and his records show that you arrived at the pool at 7.30pm (last admission is 7.15pm) and as the club closes at 8pm we normally close the pool and poolside side facilities at around 7.50pm in order to allow people to change and leave by 8pm. I am sorry that you were not able to take advantage of this facility.
I am also sorry to hear that your breakfast took so long to prepare. On the morning in question we had a smaller number of guests in house and therefore the restaurant and kitchen took the decision to operate a 'breakfast cooked to order system' to prevent the food spoiling under the hot lamps. However this did cause a delay and we have learnt from this experience for future occasions. I hope that you will accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Recently visited for relaxing spa day. Found the facilities to be fine and no problems with lunch. I treated myself to an hours hot stone massage and was initially impressed by the treatment area upstairs, described on the spa website as 'enjoy tranquillity, calm; we are skilled in the art of relaxation'. I was then told my treatment would be downstairs and was taken to a room which I believe was in the corridor leading to some of the bedrooms. Well throughout my entire treatment I could hear a male and female member of staff the other side of the wall (reception area / office) chatting away about their social life and even discussing episodes of Jeremy Kyle ! As clients checked into the spa every word could be heard. Then unbelievably somebody started vacuuming and the adjoining wall was bashed into several times, as was the door into the treatment room. I appreciate that a hotel has to be cleaned, but surely this needs to be scheduled around the use of this extra treatment room. A hot stone massage starts from £65 so not cheap, and surely should be carried out in a quieter environment.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank libby236
General M, General Manager at The Cheltenham Chase Hotel - A QHotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear libby236
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review and for your constructive comments regarding your treatment.
It certainly sounds like you enjoyed all other aspects of your spa day which is great, but I am sorry that your enjoyment of your treatment was affected. I have passed on your comments to the Leisure Manager and his team and he will be reviewing the communication which takes place on the front desk, the cleaning schedules around treatment times and will also ensure that the appropriate signage is in place when the ground floor room is in use. I hope that you will accept our sincere apologies.
Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

My niece booked a 1 night spa package for herself, mother and myself to celebrate a birthday and Mothers day surprise. The package included lunch, evening meal and breakfast, complementary wine in the room and an individual spa treatment for each of us. We arrived at midday and were lucky enough to go directly into our room. We then had a lovely light lunch, and spent the afternoon relaxing in the swimming pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna prior to our spa treatments at 5pm. My sister and myself had an hour long back, face and head massage which was bliss, my niece opted for two shorter treatments, but really enjoyed the experience as well. The evening meal was excellent with a wide choice of menu. Breakfast was also another good eating experience. I cannot fault the service given in every area of the hotel, restaurant staff, spa staff, receptionists and even cleaning staff. I recommend this spa package most highly, so much that we are planning our next trip there

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Elaine B
Dear Elaine B
Brilliant! What lovely feedback..... thank you so much for taking the time to post your review - it's lovely to be able to pass such great feedback on to the team here.
I am really pleased that you enjoyed your Spa Break at the Hotel and we look forward to seeing you for your next trip!
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Came here on a 2 day spa break with a friend.Hotel was excellent-spotlessly clean,friendly welcome,all staff extremely helpful and pleasant. They have clearly got their customer training spot on. Food fine, though nothing to write home about.Service rather slow on day 2 as there was a coach trip in residence and didnt appear to be any more staff than on a quiet Sun eve. Only criticism would be that it was cold-both in restaurant and bedroom.Needed to use a fan heater that we found in the wardrobe so this is clearly a common problem.
The spa package was good value and the treatments excellent.Best massage I have ever had.Not much space around the pool. Only 4 loungers and so close to the waters edge that you got splashed. Plenty of other places to sit and relax though.
Cheltemham itself a great location-architecture and shop wise.Easily accessible from the hotel by car or by a bus from right outside the hotel.Hotel itself really easy to find. Would certainly go again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear serwms
Thank you for taking the time to post such a constructive review on your Spa Break at The Chase. We really appreciate all of our guest feedback as it is so useful in maintaining and improving our service and product for the future.
It sounds like you had a great time and i'm glad you managed to tear yourselves away from the Spa long enough for a visit to lovely Cheltenham.
We hope to see you again soon.
Keith Turnbull
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockworth
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
Jurys Inn Cheltenham
Jurys Inn Cheltenham
#11 of 23 in Cheltenham
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
Ellenborough Park
Ellenborough Park
#3 of 23 in Cheltenham
De Vere Tortworth Court
De Vere Tortworth Court
#1 of 1 in Tortworth

Been to The Cheltenham Chase Hotel - A QHotel? Share your experiences!