“A Tale of Two Hotels?”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Brockworth
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“A Tale of Two Hotels?”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

If we had stayed one night, this Hotel would have received 5 stars from us.

Firstly, before arrival, the website says, "Government Issued Photo ID required on Check-In" - I have no Photo ID, no Passport, no Driving Licence (well, a paper one from 40 years ago!). I found this most odd as I had never been asked that before by a Hotel. So, I rang the Hotel to enquire - to be told that I needed ID if I worked for the Government - strange, but anyway, I didn't need any for me, I was informed.

So I booked 2 nights B&B.

Arrived on the Sunday and got into room 001 - if my name was James Bond I would have been allocated 007 it was suggested with a smile. Such was the warm welcome, excellent.

Room 001 was clean and well appointed with great TV, Air-con, King size bed and room to move.

Sadly, Room 001 didn't have a window which could open - yes, there was Air-con, but it would have been nice to have had the option to open the window. This highlighted another omission, no Air-con instructions ... I had to guess what to do on the control panel, I'm an Engineer so well placed - but others would struggle I feel.

There were two Floor Lamps in the room, which would have been nice had they worked! Both were not working so guessed more than just failed bulbs?

There was a hole in the carpet under one of the wheels on the bed, which kind of let the side down rather.

The table lamp worked well, the curtains blacked the room out completely, the hair dryer was of a design which would not allow it to accidentally remain on - by the requirement to hold a button in for the entire time the dryer was needed, I can understand the reason - but for those with arthritis, it renders it useless.

As said above, the TV was excellent - offering HD channels. Upon arrival home my lounge TV now seems lacking!

The Air-con worked well ... but I think it went off when the room was left?

We stayed for two nights, three days, and the last day seemed lacking somewhat in service - the reason for the title of my review.

The swimming pool was lovely, as was the steam room, sauna and jacuzzi.

We ate out the first night. The first breakfast was great - quick service and good food offerings. I say service as my wife is a veggie and requested a veggie sausage and poached egg - she highly recommends the veggie sausage, by the way! The rest was a self service buffet, just how I like it.

Very relaxed Hotel, it makes you feel quite comfortable straight away.

The second night was our Pearl Wedding Anniversary so we decided to eat in at the Hotel, we had heard there was a new Head Chef and they were highly regarded. The reports were right! Fantastic food, really great. If I have one criticism it is that the service was too fast - the meals were clearly ready in the kitchen to bring out - once the starter was ordered it was on the table within 3 minutes, same with the main meal and the dessert. It was too rushed in all honesty - I know most complaints are of a lengthy wait, so it's a strange complaint really!

The second breakfast, this morning, was the polar opposite of the previous day ... there was a distinct lack of service this time, my wife didn't have her order for veggie sausage taken (she had to chase a waitress/waiter around the dining area) - then, once ordered, it didn't arrive! After about 20 minutes, and after I had finished my breakfast she had to go and ask where it was - it then arrived 5 minutes later. At this breakfast there was no fried bread and no uncut loafs of bread where the morning before there was. The whole thing seemed so sloppy compared to the top notch service the morning before - had someone who was working on the Bank Holiday Monday been given the day off on the Tuesday? Of course they need their break, but there was a certain lack of direction this morning.

Another point I would like to offer, just by way of a suggestion, we were always placed in the window seats - which was absolutely brilliant - the view is of countryside. It would be great if a bird table was positioned outside these windows - there must be a huge amount of food from the kitchens which would attract the birds. Yes, rats may be an issue, but not if the food is placed high in a bird station. It would just add something to the outside view in my opinion.

Overall, a great Hotel with polite friendly staff, and it was a pleasure to spend two nights over our anniversary with you - THANK YOU!

2 Thank MrRee007
KTurnbull, General Manager at The Cheltenham Chase Hotel - A QHotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Mr Ree007,
Thank you for your kind and constructive comments following your stay over the bank holiday weekend, and your genuine thanks - it is very much apprecaited by the team. I now undertsand your appreciation of the Bond reference with your TripAdvisor name! Thank you for your comments on our new dinner menu - it is indeed a pleasure to welcome David Gent back as Head Chef to the Chase.
Yours sincerely
Keith Turnbull

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
Carnforth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed here in April taking advantage of a 2 night Q break hoping for a quiet mid-week break with some spa treatments. We arrived to find the hotel being used for a recruitment drive. There was a health company, energy companies, insurance company all holding interviews. We had upgraded our room which was on the first floor but as we arrived in the lift the whole area around the lift was surrounded by people sitting at desks with potential employees being put through their paces for the whole time we were there. After our long journey we were ready for a cuppa so we went to the lounge area for afternoon tea but there was nowhere to sit as the whole lounge was full of corporate bodies on lap tops and mobile phones and people waiting to be interviewed. In the evening we came down to dinner at 7pm for 7.30 hoping for a drink in the bar but lo and behold a coach party had arrived and we were unable to get a pre dinner drink as the bar was 4 deep and the waiters rushed off their feet and once again not a spare seat in the lounge. Dinner was ok, the food was nice but we did wait half an hour between starter and main courses before eventually catching the restaurant managers eye who swiftly returned with our food. Breakfast was the best meal, the breakfast staff were very friendly and the selection was good. The spa treatments were very relaxing and the pool facilities were great but we did have to wait until late in the afternoon to use it as there were baby swimming classes on both days we were there.We wanted a couple of days to chill out after working a particularly busy Easter but quickly realised this was not the place for a quiet break. On a lighter note our upgraded room was lovely with a very comfortable bed the bathroom was lovely and clean with nice toiletries and the fridge with drinks package was very welcome. We won't be coming back here but won't hesitate to use other Q Hotels we have found.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Alyson Y
KTurnbull, General Manager at The Cheltenham Chase Hotel - A QHotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Alyson Y,
May I thank you for your constructive feedback following your midweek break. We are a very busy hotel with events, meetings and dinners on the go during the week and a high volume of business guests. The hotel does however take on a much more leisurely feel at weekends and I would recommend that be more appropriate for you given your feedback. Furthermore there are excellent value spa breaks most Fridays and Sundays.
kidn regards
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We have stayed here before for a work do so knew it was a nice hotel. We booked it as a very lastminute stay, we booked the dinner bed and breakfast deal which we found good value for money, but it took us over 3 hours to get through to anyone at the hotel to actually book, we actually nearly gave up and booked somewhere else! At one point the phone was hung up on us! But we did eventually get through to someone and they were very pleasant and booked it for us no problem, we wouldve booked online but wanted to make sure we got a reasonable time booked for dinner so we wanted to actually book it by speaking to someone.
We got there early so couldnt check in, but we were able to use the pool, jacuzzi etc and the leisure staff were lovely and friendly and helpful. The facilities were good. Our room was lovely and big, very comfy bed and nice bathroom. Unfortunately we were in an adjoining room with a family who had very young children so didnt get much sleep as we could hear their kids screaming all night! Perhaps the hotel should keep family with young children in rooms not next to couples, but we understand as ours was a lastminute booking. The dinner was excellent, food was gorgeous. Service was a little slow but that was to be expected as it was busy and it was a bank holiday! Bar and restaurant staff were very nice and professional. Breakfast was nice but my husband was dissapointed as there was no black pudding!! All in all a pleasant stay.

Dear sazzer 6
I am so pleased that your persistence paid off and that we were able to accommodate you at the weekend, leading to a nice lastminute stay. Thank you for your kind comments, and the suggestions regarding the allocation of families together - one that we do try to do so but sometimes struggle with when fully booked as we were this weekend, Hopefully on your next stay we can book you in farther in advance to a quieter location,
kind regards
keith Turnbull
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

A large group of us stayed at the Chase after my son's wedding nearby. The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful, the reception staff made us feel very welcome and were very patient considering I had forgotten to bring any bank cards with me! The breakfast staff could not have been more helpful, even the toilet cleaners were friendly and chatty. Hotel room was lovely, large clean and with all the usual facilities. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking in that area!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Tim S
Thank you for your kind comments follwoing the weekend of your son's wedding. We know how important a problem free stay is to our guests on such a special occasion, whether the Wedding be here at the Hotel or locally, and are so pleased that we were able to deliver that for you. May I thank you for highlighting Teresa: the friendliest "public area cleaner" I have ever worked with. She will be delighted with the mention and is really one of a kind.
yours sincerely
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

My friends and I recently visited for a weekend away including a spa package.
The hotel room was nice and clean and plenty big enough.
The spa facilities were nice no complaints. There is also a gym which has plenty of options on machines.
The treatment it's self was a one hour back, facial and scalp routine. It was one of the best massages I have had without doubt- I think the ladies name was Lucy.
Our light lunch, evening dinner and full English breakfast was all of a high quality- very tasty.
Although there is nothing to do around the hotel the hotel is of a very good quality and I enjoyed myself.
Only criticisms are: there are no toilet brushes in the toilets.
Additionally the people that worked at the gym would hang around the corridors talking- they made us feel a little uncomfortable as they would stop talking when we walked through.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laura B
Dear Laura B
May I thank you for your kind comments following your "Girly spa weekend". We are delighted that you and your friends enjoyed the hotel and spa facilities and look forward to welcoming yuo back
kind regards
kidderminster
Reviewed 22 May 2014

My wife and I stayed for one night in May 2014.We found the staff helpful and friendly. The food and service could not be faulted.This is the best Q Hotel we have stayed in. We will be back for a longer stay,

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
KTurnbull, General Manager at The Cheltenham Chase Hotel - A QHotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Alan S,
Thank you for your great feedback. We are absolutely delighted and do hope that we may welcome you back to your favourite Q Hotel to date in the near future. There is always a festival or event on in Gloucestershire worth returning for.
Kindest regards
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Just returned from another four day break at this hotel. The accomodation was superb and the staff really friendly and attentative to our .needs.
Both the breakfasts and dinners could not be faulted with plenty of choice to suit every taste.
Would not hesitate to recommend Q Hotels!

1 Thank gregnig
KTurnbull, General Manager at The Cheltenham Chase Hotel - A QHotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Gregnig
Thank you for your kind comments following your 4 night stay. I am delighted that we "could not be faulted" as will the team here as they do all aim to provide the best levels of comfort and service. I know Dronfield is a fair distance ( as having lived in Sheffield myself) but it just shows that we are not so far South or West as to be driveable for a weekend for most of central England - and form personal experience we do have a sunnier climate!
We look forward to welcoming you back
Keith Turnbull
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockworth
The Greenway Hotel and Spa
Jurys Inn Cheltenham
Jurys Inn Cheltenham
#9 of 22 in Cheltenham
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
Ellenborough Park
Ellenborough Park
#2 of 22 in Cheltenham
Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
#11 of 21 in Gloucester

Been to The Cheltenham Chase Hotel - A QHotel? Share your experiences!