“Great for Bed and Breakfast. Forget the Dinner!”

The Cheltenham Chase Hotel - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Brockworth
West Midlands
“Great for Bed and Breakfast. Forget the Dinner!”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

The hotel is modern, comfortable and has every amenity needed. The staff were very friendly and attentive .Even the Manager spent some time with me telling me all about the fruit, herbs and beehives he had introduced into the garden.
The room was well equipped with comfy beds and good linen.
Breakfast was great with a good choice of well cooked food served buffet style. Tables were cleared quickly between courses.
Dinner was awful. Long wait between courses, small portions, not well cooked and poor value for money The lemon posset we ordered for desert was not set at all with the consistency of runny yogurt and was sent back to the kitchen. The cheese board, at a cost of £8.50 consisted of 4 grapes, 4 ritz crackers, chutney and 4 of the tiniest, thin slivers of cheese we had ever seen.
This could be a really wonderful hotel if they employed a new chef.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor overlooking the garden.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carol L
General M, General Manager at The Cheltenham Chase Hotel - A QHotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear Carol L
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review regaring your stay with us and it was a pleasure to be able to talk to you during your stay.
I'm sorry that you felt your experience at dinner did not match your experience in the rest of the Hotel and I can assure you that we will take your comments on board and will take action where necessary. This is certainly not a true reflection of our normal standards and I hope that you would not be deterred from returning in the future.
Keith Turnbull

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Just returned from an overnight Spa Break with my Mum. This was actually our 1st Spa experience and we absolutely loved it and will be returning this Hotel again very soon.
The Hotel was very easy to find once coming of the M5 and we couldn't fault a single thing. All the staff were super friendly and helpful and the whole stay was very organised and the service was fantastic. The Hotel is lovely and spotlessly clean -we loved our room which was spacious and modern.The spa facilities were fantastic. Our deal wihich included an over night stay, a 1 hout treatment, lunch, dinner and breakfast. The food was lovely - breakfast was fantastic and offered everything you could think of. The 'light lunch' wasn't that light and certainly filled us up. Driinks vere a little pricey but to be honest you expect this at any hotel. We really enjoyed our stay from the second we arrived until the moment we left and can't wait to come back. Thank you to all the staff!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Abbigail H
Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your Spa Break. I'm pleased that both you and your Mum were able to enjoy some quality time together.
We look forward to seeing you both again soon.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I booked this hotel for a 3 night long weekend with my girlfriend over an English Bank Holiday weekend. I was very impressed to be able to find a 4 star hotel for a total of £225 for the 3 nights, normally hotels inflate their prices over such weekends. It's because of this I'm rating the hotel as a 4, had I paid £300 I'd probably be giving it a 3.

On arrival the staff were very friendly and checked us into our room on the top floor quickly. Both room and communal areas were very clean. Furniture, fixtures and fittings were all modern and I think pretty new which gave the hotel a good feel. On top of this the wifi was good, I used it to stream on an iPad without problems.

The restaurant in the hotel was fully booked on one of the nights I was there however they still served food in the bar, we paid £50 for a burger, fish 'n' chips and a bottle of wine which I thought was slightly on the high side for food which wasn't bad but also didn't blow me away. Breakfast was a help yourself buffet and it was what I'd expect for a lower end 4 star hotel: a wide range of reasonable quaity food. The only odd thing at breakfast is on every morning they asked if we wanted coffee as we were seated, each time this failed to arrive and we had to ask again.

The spa in the hotel is a decent size, clean and contains: pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. It also wasn't too busy, I think a large contributor to this is the hotel appears to do most of its trade through coach tours which do not typically contain a lot of spa users so this is a good thing although it might have contributed to the fully booked restaurant on the Saturday night.

The location of the hotel is good. There are no good quality restaurants within walking distance but Cheltenham is a short drive away which has many. The Cotswolds is also on the doorstep which presents ample things to do during the day.

All in all I have to say I had a great weekend in this hotel, having trawled all the usual websites before booking I honestly don't think I'd have found a better hotel for the money we paid.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Kev W
Thank you for your review and for taking the time to give such detailed and constructive feedback on your stay with us. I'm so pleased that you felt you received value for money and enjoyed your stay overall. I can assure you that we will take on board your comments regarding the food offering during your stay.
We hope you will choose to return soon.
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

My friend and I treated our selves to a spa day at the Chase with a added treatment ...
I highly recommend this hotel, its not to big so large groups may struggle with the pool spa fercilitys. . but I highly recommend the treatment the lady that done my shoulder neck and back massage was amazing. there a honour to the company..the gym is also rather tiny..but everywhere is clean and staff are lovely.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Caroline M
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review regarding your spa day at The Cheltenham Chase. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your day with us and found the treatments to be so lovely. Come back for more soon!
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Just returned after a last minute booking of the 'Romantic Package Deal' what a bargain! Received bottle if Landin champagne and box of Hotel du Chocolat upon arrival in room. As part of package we received a 2 x £10 voucher for the spa ( one per guest). We arrived a little early as wasn't informed check in was 3pm when we booked. Staff very accommodating and prepped room for us to go in early. I was booked for a 2.30pm treatment in spa- opted for eye lift and firm treatment along with facial. I can't tell you how relaxing it was. Therapist Emma was very professional and made me feel at ease immediately. Treatment lasted about 1hr 30mins and it was like heaven. Felt so rejuvenated afterwards and would highly recommend a visit to the spa.
Did go for a quick swim in pool but lots of children in there made it not that relaxing.
Part of the package also included £26 per head towards evening meal at Hardys restaurant. Service initially was a little slow but once order was taken food actually arrived very quickly. Portions were a little on the small side but I felt were just right for me, however my partner was disappointed with size. Three courses are definitely needed.
Had a fairly good nights sleep however, as we were end of corridor listened to banging door for much of night. Room was very spacious with all amenities - tea/coffee making faculties, hair dryer, iron and board, seating area to eat. Opted for the complimentary breakfast in bed which came as part of package- was fab to not have to rush to get shower and dressed to catch breakfast service. Really enjoyed our stay - and also allowed to take our dog for a £15 charge which was great ( although dogs are not allowed to leave room) would highly recommend and hope to do again. Great package and a real bargain for all what's included!

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Ihearththeusa
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Cheltenham Chase and its great to hear that you enjoyed yourselves! Now the children are mostly all back to school it is now nice and quiet in our Pool area.
We hope you will choose to return again soon.
Oxford-UK
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

This was our second stay at a Q hotel in two weeks. We were so impressed with The Stratford hotel that we decided to try another.
The staff are lovely here and all extremely helpful, really great customer service. The food was all lovely too. Not as fantastic as the food at The Stratford, but still very lovely. We used the pool twice and the changing rooms were very nice and clean, if not a tad freezing! But the pool was great, the kids loved it.
My only issue was the bed. It was quite soft and I really didn't get a good nights sleep at all. Believe it or not, this really would put me off returning as I was literally awake half the night. Our stay at The Stratford was perfect, and the bed fabulous with a mattress topper on it. This was my only issue unfortunately.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
General M, General Manager at The Cheltenham Chase Hotel - A QHotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Law74
Thank you! you've only got another 19 hotels to try! It's great to hear that you have enjoyed your stays with Q and we do have so many other lovely properties in the group, I hope you will try some more.
I am sorry to hear that you found your bed to be uncomfortable and apologise for any inconvenience caused. If you do find this on a future visit, please do let us know asap and we will do whatever we can to rectify this for you.
We hope to welcome you back to The Chase in the near future.
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a chilled out weekend very nice. We got to the hotel about mid day on the Saturday and at checkering in we were told that there was no room in the restaurant for that night as they had a large party booked in, a bit disappointing for a four star hotel but not a problem we went to the local Toby down the road which was only a five min walk away.

Walking in to the reception area was a nice surprise very pleasant and well decorated and it only improved when we got to the rooms they were spotlessly clean and very modern I can say we were very impressed.

We came back from a day out on Sunday and was going to have a nice afternoon tea in the hotel until we found out the price £14.95 each! that would have been almost £60 for four of us that's a crazy price.
We ate in the restaurant on the Sunday evening the food was nice but the service was a bit slow but we were in no rush so this was ok for us. The only down side of the hotel was the outside area, we used this area a lot and had to clean the pile of glasses and plates of the tables we wanted to use more than once also there were a lot of cigarettes on the floor and tables, I don't think the person in charge understands how disgusting non smokers like ourselves find that. They need to organise a rotor of checking the area and cleaning it.

But all said we did enjoy the stay and would recommend the hotel and use it again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert M
Dear Robert M
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us. I'm sorry that we weren't able to accommodate you on the first night of your stay. We do get very busy in our restaurant and therefore booking prior to arrival is recommended.
We also take on board your comments regarding the outside area. It should be regularly serviced, the same as the bar and restaurant areas and I shall ensure that we are exta vigilant of this over the particularly busy weekends, my apologies.
It's great to hear that you otherwise enjoyed a chilled out weekend with us and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Keith Turnbull
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockworth
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
Jurys Inn Cheltenham
Jurys Inn Cheltenham
#11 of 23 in Cheltenham
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
Ellenborough Park
Ellenborough Park
#3 of 23 in Cheltenham
De Vere Tortworth Court
De Vere Tortworth Court
#1 of 1 in Tortworth

Been to The Cheltenham Chase Hotel - A QHotel? Share your experiences!