“Great lunch”

and 1 more site!
Bodkin House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Badminton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 February 2013

We popped in for a quick lunch because our favourite place was already closed, and now we have a new favourite place! We came in with low expectations, but came out on a high. We just had some soup and sandwiches, but they were clearly freshly made and very well presented. The chunky chips were very chunky indeed and there was a lot of steak in the steak sandwich. Highly recommended for a meal, and we will definitely be back and have something more substantial the next time.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 6 January 2013

We ate lunch here today in the bar and received really great service by a very friendly bar man/waiter. So attentive and friendly. The mains were nice and puddings to die for, especially Brownies and sticky toffee :-) Thank you Bodkin House!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Trinabeans
Reviewed 16 December 2012

We stayed overnight as part of a birthday celebration, our party of 20+ took over all of the rooms. When we arrived we were greated by log fire in the bar, encouraging the sampling of one of the fine cask ales. The lounge, bar and all public areas were immaculately clean, and provided a lovely ambience for a traditional country inn. Our room on the 1st floor at the rear, was warm, impeccably clean, indeed faultless. Our celebration dinner menus were pre-ordered and were delivered on time, hot and very tasty. Dons attention to us during the evening was exemplary, nothing was too much trouble for him, they also had a full restaurant to deal with. The breakfast was as good as any other hotel I have stayed in. I cant comment on price/vfm, as I didnt have to pay.
I really cannot understand the recent very negative comments made here; we will DEFINITEY be staying here overnight when we are next in the area.
Highly recommended for a short break when visiting the area especially Bath only 15 miles away.

Room Tip: at the rear
Reviewed 14 December 2012

Unplanned visit - lovely light lunch - shoulder of lamb and veg, and one vegetarian. Food good quality, Piping hot. Friendly staff. We were the only three people at that time and that is a shame as it deserves more people popping in for lunches.
Staff all very friendly and welcoming
Will recommend to friends

And the added bonus was that the loos were really clean - don't get that some places!

Reviewed 9 December 2012

Just had a lunch here with friends for the second or third year running. Today was just awful. Table was not properly prepared with condiments, yule-tide decorations or water jugs. No mince pies or Christmas touches offered. Service was good and staff as friendly as usual but the landlord was just miserable and entirely missed the point. Perhaps he just didn't want business to interrupt his day. Turkey dinner was poor-I don't think it was home prepared and the sausage was hard and dry. Only two small bowls of veg between 12 of us-I had just ONE carrot on my plate. Cannot see our party ever returning. Very disappointing indeed-you travel a hundred miles for lunch and it was just poor.

5  Thank Bomberboys
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Whenever I am on the A46, travelling between the M4 and the Cotswolds, I try to arrange my timing to eat in the Bodkin.

I ate in the bar today, in front of a welcoming - and welcome - log fire, and as usual the food was first class.

As I ordered I was warned that it would be cooked to order, so there would be a delay. i was happy to read - and eat a packet of superior crisps:) - while my food was freshly prepared.

And the emphasis is on fresh.

I had a supreme de poulet very well butchered - just the right amount of wing left on - and freshly cooked to perfection. Not dry and overdone, but succulent inside and crisp on the outside. This was served in a fresh cream sauce (not a pre-prepared flour-thickened one) with fresh mushrooms. New potatoes and fine beans - freshly cooked al dente - joined them to make a perfect plateful.

I was tempted by the puds, and had an Eton Mess. Fresh cream whipped, not something out of a can, was joined by meringue and fresh, yes fresh not frozen, strawberries and raspberries. In December - they had been shopping for all eventualities and all customer choice.

The bill for one, including the posh crisps and a bottle of sparkling water, was under £15. I would have paid twice the price in London, and the quality could not have been bettered.

Exquisite.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Turista-Inglesa
Reviewed 17 November 2012

Had lunch with old friends at the Bodkin, last minute decision to meet at the Bodkin. While we were the only ones at lunch the service was superb and the food excellent. Having coffee in the lounge was relaxing and gave old friends time to catch-up with the past. A thoroughly enjoyable experience, the peace was lovely, a shame not more people sample the delights of the Bodkin, then again it will spoil it for me!!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank John O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Badminton
The Hare and Hounds Hotel
#1 of 1 in Didmarton
The Cross Hands Hotel
The Cross Hands Hotel
#2 of 4 in Old Sodbury

Been to Bodkin House Hotel? Share your experiences!