“deteriorating quality and value for money”
Review of Hatton Court Hotel

Hatton Court Hotel
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Since my wife and I stayed here 12 months ago there was a noticeable deterioration in things. We booked the bed, breakfast & evening meal deal. The room we were given No10 was looking shabby with ripped wallpaper, missing light fittings and inadequate heating. To be fair the very helpful girl on reception did offer us an alternative room, but as we had so much baggage with us, we did not want to pack and unpack again. A heater was sent to the room to increase the warmth.
The evening meal was delicious but the size of the helpings was noticeably much smaller... this was repeated at breakfast time where scrambled egg on toast was just one half of a bap ! The staff were all very friendly and efficient but the Hotel felt in need of a face lift and good clean. the bar areas and bedroom we encountered looked and felt shabby. We love the hotel situation but it will make us think twice before using again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Simon H, General Manager at Hatton Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear James D,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted to read that you were a return visitor, it is a shame that you did not write a positve review from your first stay.
Since your last stay the hotel has spent £500,000 on a rolling refurbishment program, unfortunately there are a few rooms that are not yet completed, thse will be completed in the coming months. I am surprised to read your comments on our bar and lounges as they have been refurbished.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We had to spend a night near Gloucester and could not have chosen a better hotel. If you are visiting the Cotswolds or Gloucester/Cheltenham then give this hotel a try. The room was very good - the only down side was the noise from some unruly (probably drunken) guests late at night who decided to have a heated conversation in the corridor outside of our room. Other than that, room service and food was excellent and the breakfast was very good as well

Reviewed 27 December 2013

We have just returned from the 2 night Christmas break. We paid extra for a junior suite (quite a lot extra actually). The service from all of the staff was first rate; very attentive and very helpful at all times and all parts of the hotel so that is very good. The food (breakfast and the other meals) was also very good and served good and hot; just as it should be. What was not so good was the state of the junior suite we stayed in (room 7); the room is now very tatty, especially the curtains which were frayed. Things are not a lot better in the bathroom; no shelving for your own stuff and a over bath shower with very little power (although as there is no shower screen perhaps this is as well). As I understand it some of the lesser rooms have recently been refurbished so may not reflect this comment but it remains very disappointing that the hotel management have let their premium rooms fall so badly below a reasonable standard. I will add the we still very much enjoyed our Christmas break but feel a bit cheated by paying a significant excess for a very tatty room.

Room Tip: Just avoid the more expensive rooms (until they get around to refurbishing them).

Dear Engineer42,

Thank you for your review, I am delighted to read that you had a many good aspects to your stay. Unfortunately our suite was not to your liking, as you will have noticed we have invested heavily in the product over the last 2 years and that will continue in 2014, with Room 7 being a priority.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Loved our mini-break at Hatton Court last weekend to celebrate our 35th Wedding Anniversary. Room was great quality and the 5 course taster menu and glass of champagne was delicious and unusual. Only slight downside was that once you've got your finery on and ready to head to the bar and restaurant - you then have to go outside, down some fairly steep stairs and cross a small courtyard, Really could do with a cleverly designed glass and wrought iron canopy so that you're not drenched and blown about (as we were).

Room Tip: The superior rooms are good quality and I especially liked the refreshments draw in the desk.
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Hatton Court hosted our 2013 Christmas Package and, from start to finish, the service was first class. The all-inclusive package that the hotel offered was fantastic and very much appreciated by all 78 guests who made up our party.
The rooms at Hatton Court were wonderful (especially the whirlpool bath...very nice indeed!) and we all left very satisfied. Would highly recommend Hatton Court to all

1  Thank Stapleford L
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights on business and at the very start I was made to feel extremely welcome by the receptionist Charlotte who was friendly and very helpful, as others have stated I was upgraded to a superior room with Jacuzzi bath (very Nice). The Tara restaurant was very nice and dinner was of the highest standard and quality..as was the breakfast with a fantastic choice, both hot and cold with all the hot food prepared fresh. I have seen comments on here that are not that positive....let me tell you if these people think this hotel is anything other than fantastic then they must never stay in hotels very often!! The customer service I encountered for the whole 5 days was nothing short of superb. I will most definitely be returning for a leisure break in the very near future.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your positive review. I am delighted that you took the time in a very busy period to write about your experiences.
It makes me very happy and proud when my team get praised for their hard work. Hopefully we will see you back at Hatton Court in 2014.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

I booked in for one night last Friday - not with any party or function, but as an overnight stay for Cheltenham races.

When I checked in, I was asked by reception whether I was with a function/party - and said no.

My sleep was subsequently disturbed up to 3.30am by noise from the function/party and the aftermath ....

When checking out, the same receptionist then asked 'how was your stay?'

When I told her the truth, she said that, if I had said I wasn't with the party/function, I would have had a room in away from the main hotel block.

Simply unbelievable!!

Safe to say, I will not be returning.

Room Tip: suggest you write down, maybe in CAPITAL letters, that you would like a quiet room ....
2  Thank redbeer560
Shanna79, General Manager at Hatton Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Dear Redbeer560,Thank you for your review, as always I would have preferred to have discussed this face to face or by phone. My reception manager spoke with you on both occassions and she explains that she was extremely apologetic to you on check out. In December our hotel is tahnkfully very busy with a variety of clientele, all here to have a good time. We do try our best to ensure that relevant rooms are allocated dependent on demand and availability. I am sorry that we did not get it right for you. If you wish to discuss the issue further please contact me directly at the Hotel.
Kind Regards

Simon Hanna

Also consider these accommodations in or near Upton St Leonards
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
#1 of 2 in Stonehouse
Hotel Ibis Gloucester
Hotel Ibis Gloucester
#3 of 21 in Gloucester

Been to Hatton Court Hotel? Share your experiences!