“Could not ask for more!”
Review of Hatton Court Hotel

Hatton Court Hotel
Radlett, United Kingdom
“Could not ask for more!”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This was our second stay at Hatton Court as we enjoyed it so much the first time. We found the staff highly trained, efficient and very attentive. Excellent value for money as we took advantage of the promotions. Will certainly visit again later in the year. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Wetherby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

I have just returned from my second stay at Hatton Court and once again had an enjoyable stay.
We stayed in room 38 which is a lovely room with plenty of space. The bathroom is quite large with a corner bath which was badly marked but clean.
Breakfast was delightful with plenty of choice and excellent service.

I was again a bit disappointed that special requests seem to be ignored. I asked that we had no more than one flight of stairs as my husband and I both have arthritis but we had very steep stairs up to the annexe and then another flight of stairs after. This means that after breakfast I did not feel able to go back to the room to get ready to go out and after going to the room at night, I did not feel able to leave it again. As I had said why I was requesting fewer stairs and had booked well in advance, I do think that they could have done more to accommodate our requirements.
However, I do think this is a very nice hotel.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I booked this hotel for one night at the last minute as part of a business trip and managed to get an excellent rate for B&B, nearly £20 cheaper than a nearby national budget hotel. I was made very welcome on arrival, used the restaurant and bar and enjoyed all the food and drink I was offered. The standard room (37) was a very pleasant surprise: larger than expected, comfortably furnished and very clean with a more extensive than usual range of facilities including a mini bar, complimentary mineral water, tea, real coffee, a carton of milk in the fridge (when did I last see that) and free wifi. The staff were very polite and helpful and overall, I had a very comfortable overnight stay at a good price. I will definitely be returning at the next opportunity.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Having previously enjoyed an excellent stay at Hatton Court, we recommended it for a visit with our friends and in many respects it lived up to expectations but there are a couple of negatives to note from our latest venture. We received a good value invitation to return to the hotel and took advantage of the opportunity to enjoy a two night stay to include breakfast on both days, a three course dinner on one night and an afternoon cream tea. In addition we were surprised to receive a complimentary bottle of wine per couple in the restaurant. Since we had decided to take our dogs, we were advised that we would be allocated rooms in the main part of the hotel rather than the very nice rooms we occupied in the annexe on our previous visit. On arrival you can't fail to be impressed with the building although, as others have mentioned, the driveway could do with a bit of pot-hole repairing! Reception friendly and efficient and an overall ambience of quality hotel are first impressions. We were allocated rooms 3 and 5 - both on the first floor and both decent size. We had room 5 and although we fully accept that it is a room where dogs are accommodated, we felt that a bit of TLC is long overdue for this room. There are large cracks in the wall, evidence of damp, flaking paint and most disappointing of all, the worst shower I have ever experienced in a hotel - even more surprising as I note that other guests have also commented on this and nothing has been done to correct the issue. There was either little or no pressure and it was absolutely impossible use as it spurted either boiling hot or ice cold water at regular intervals. On a positive note, the room was clean and what looked like a rickety old bed turned out to be pretty comfortable resulting in a near perfect nights' sleep. Our cream tea was pretty good - nice sandwiches, scones, cake and (miniscule) slither of lemon tart which must have been cut with a surgeon's scalpel! Drinks in the bar are reasonably priced and although there was a wedding party in attendance, the service was courteous and efficient - which is more than can be said about breakfast in the restaurant next morning! There was an obvious staff shortage problem and even more apparent that there was absolutely no leadership in evidence. By way of balance it must be said that the evening dinner service was entirely the opposite and created an excellent image of a well run, high quality restaurant as indeed did the following day breakfast service. The first breakfast experience saw many people complaining about having to wait to be seated, waiting for orders to be taken, receiving the wrong order and waiting for tea and coffee. There was no urgency about any of the staff members and an almost belligerent attitude to the problem. Had this been our only experience of the restaurant, we would not have returned but thanks to the professionalism of the restaurant manager and her team on the other occasions, we would wholeheartedly recommend it for atmosphere, service, food quality and value for money. The bar staff are also worthy of mention - cheerful, courteous and on-the-ball. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and at an inclusive price of £145 per couple for the entire deal, it was exceptional value for money.

1 Thank andyccpc
Simon H, General Manager at Hatton Court Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Andyccpc, Thank you for returning to stay with us. I am sorry that your rooms were not to your previous standard. We have suffered from the ailments recently, the wet weather and our old building did not agree in certain areas, we are however correcting these issues. The weak water supply is also being addressed now that there are suitable working conditions. I am sorry to read that Sunday breakfast was not as smooth as normal, we do have a breakfast manager on daily, unfortunately a Sunday morning is challenge for every hotel, as a majority of guests choose to have a well earned lie in, and come for breakfast later. I do hope we will see you again in the future.
west midlands. england
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Myself and my husband booked this hotel for a weekend away to celebrate my birthday.
I requested a nice room with a nice view. we got a nice room but with a bay tree and a telegraph pole within inches of the window so no nice view.
The hotel was alot smaller than i expected and so was the room. we had room 31 which was a superior room supposedly. I would class it as just an average room though to be honest which also seemed alot smaller than as shown on the hotel photographs. The jacquzzi bath wasnt much to rave about and was very noisy. there is a mini bar in the room but as no prices were available for the items we were frightened to use anything because they state that branded water is available at reception to the cost of £5.00
The staff were pleasant but by no means make any conversation other than what is necessary.
We had a good nights sleep, no noise and the bed was comfortable. However, breakfast was a big let down. We were told to help ourselves to the buffet which we did but our cooked breakfast arrived within seconds and we had to ask for it to be taken back. Our toast then arrived and then our breakfasts once again. As i could see the egg was hard and the beans were dried up we decided to leave our buffet food and eat our cooked breakfast. All this time we still hadnt been offered tea and coffee, we asked and were told it would be there soon but it didnt arrive untill we had nearly finished and then we were offered refils before we had even had chance to drink it.
All in all and average stay at an average hotel. would i go again? probably not.

Dear Mr & Mrs McKibben,

Thank you for writing a review. I am sorry to read that you fet our Superior rooms were not large enough. Our jacuzzi baths are a great feature and very popular,unfortunately they are not silent, but also not intrusive. We put a lot of effort into ensuring that our guests recieve a freshly plated breakfast each morning, away from the usual hotel style of a hot buffet! As always I shall be reviewing the issues noted by you with my team.
nottingham
Reviewed 23 February 2014

just took my wife for a valentines weekend break(the first chance ive had for several years)and I have to say we just couldnt fault it!!!The hotel is old but classy (it was an old manor house) and may be a bit tired in places but nothing we would scream about.Ive read some different reviews on this place and maybe some people would be better off staying at a premier lodge!!The staff were excellent friendly helpful and all extemely pleasant.we had a lovely room overlooking the malvern hills and gloucester with a mini bar wifi and large corner bath.The food and service in the restaraunt was exceptional (which is why Ive booked again for my birthday in july)it has a lovely relaxing bar and my only complaint?They forgot one of my newspapers on saturday bah humbug!!joking I would definately recommend.

Room Tip: a classic room overlooking the malvarn hills
1 Thank dav1d49
Dear David,

Thank you for your lovely review and support! On your next visit the newspapers are on us!!!
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

A hidden hotel in Gloucestershire, we went for a little overnight de stress visit. It's very quiet & pretty. Had a room with a spar bath in number 32, needs a little bit of TLC as bed was very noisy when you turned over & also the maids cupboard is right outside. & someone was getting everything out ready to clean at around 7.45am not great when your staying at hotel for a rest. But other then those little things the food was lovely & it was peaceful

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Carol,

Thank you for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay! I will make sure our housekeepers be more considerate early in the morning! I look forward to you returning to stay with us in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Upton St Leonards
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
#7 of 21 in Gloucester
Snooty Fox Hotel
Snooty Fox Hotel
#5 of 6 in Tetbury

Been to Hatton Court Hotel? Share your experiences!