1,495 results
All reviewsjacuzzi bathtara restaurantsuperior roomafternoon teabottle of champagnemain buildingmini bareggs benedictsconeslovely hotelcream teacourse dinnera la carte menuwedding venueboth nightsbed and breakfastlovely setting
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Usually my partner and I use this site to recommend lovely places to eat and stay but I feel compelled to write my first negative review after our stay at Hatton Court on Saturday 3rd May.

Let me start by saying, I am 34 weeks pregnant and this trip was our last weekend away before our first baby arrives, so understandably we were looking forward to a relaxing and romantic break before this life changing event!

Upon arrival, first impressions were good, lovely building, good service at reception. We could see a wedding being celebrated on the grounds and wondered if this would impact on our stay....

We had paid £110 for an 'Executive' room and when we arrived at Room 40 (in the East Wing?) we were a little underwhelmed. The room was quite dark, with a small window giving little natural light. We were pleased with the big bath but fittings were quite shabby. The main disappointment was the bed, which was two single mattresses pushed together, and cheap, sprung mattresses at that...no memory foam here! The complimentary bottle of water had a fly floating in it...nice. My partner rang reception to see if we could change rooms but unfortunately we were told the hotel was fully booked. We therefore tried to make the best of it.

As I'm feeling a little uncomfortable and tired at the moment we decided to order room service for dinner. This was probably the highlight of our stay; it arrived promptly and was good quality, and is the main reason I've given 2 stars instead of 1.

The main issues with our stay started at around Midnight, with drunken wedding guests having a good time in the corridor. We tried to ignore it and go back to sleep but with the noise being right outside our door this was very difficult. By 1am I had had enough, and rang down to reception to ask if something could be done about it. I believe someone did come up to speak to the guests, but they remained in the corridor and the noise continued - shouting, running around etc I rang again at 1.30am, and also decided to go out in the corridor and speak to the guests themselves. The noise continued off and on until 3am by which time I was so wound up and frazzled I couldn't get back to sleep at all and my partner had to comfort a crying, emotional pregnant lady.

Feeling like zombies, we decided to get up and leave as early as we could. Whilst getting ready to go to breakfast an ear piercing fire alarm went off to add to our existing headaches!

We went down to breakfast which was an ok experience but we were in no mood to enjoy it and just wanted to speak to the manager about how upset we were about our stay.

At check out shortly after, we spoke to the lady on the desk who informed us that the manager was on leave and the deputy manager would give us a call as he wasn't around. Begrudgingly we paid and bleary eyed, drove home.

By 1pm I still had not been contacted, so decided to ring the hotel. I was put through to the deputy manager- no explanation as to why I had not been contacted yet- and explained how disappointed we were with our stay. He apologised but I felt didn't truly empathise with our concerns. I want to know why we were not told upon booking there would be a large wedding party (my partner had mentioned I was pregnant) as we would have chosen to stay elsewhere had we have known. We are not party poopers and of course the wedding party should be enjoying themselves, but why were we put on a floor with all of these guests? Surely they would have realised this was a recipe for disaster.

I was given a refund of £50, which is better than nothing I suppose, but I still think £60 for a sleepless night is very expensive and don't understand why we wouldn't be offered a full refund as our experience was so awful. The deputy manager however refused to budge on this. I was told I would be offered an excellent rate next time we stay...err, no thanks, we have enough sleepless nights ahead of us for free, we are not going to pay for one!

On another note, if you are looking for somewhere excellent to stay that does offer a personal and relaxing experience, please stay at Dean Field B and B about 45 minutes away from here, where we stayed on the Friday night ( see separate review).

To sum up, if you are going to stay here do check to see if there is a big party booked in ahead, as clearly the individual customer falls by the wayside at this time, and as long as they have your money, whether you get any sleep during your stay at all doesn't seem to be a priority for the management.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Mat19852014
Reviewed 28 April 2014

After staying regularly at this lovely under rated hotel for the past 4 months, the final element of service has been addressed. Myself and several of my team have had the opportunity to almost make this lovely hotel a second home in the last few months. Absolutely stunning views, exceptional staff who are so warm and entertaining, approachable and helpful, lovely comfortable rooms, peace and quiet, good fine dining menus in the evening restaurant service, no charge for wifi (what a change) and complimentary bottled water in every room. Such a shame it has taken 8 weeks to get the breakfast menu sorted but they have! Our last week they hosted a private dining evening for our team and some of our invited guests - absolutely brilliant food and service!
I had good memories of a stay at this hotel 23 years ago and returned here expecting to find a shabby run down hotel - not in the least! This is a fabulously under rated hotel which provides superb value for money in a fantastic setting and a warm and inviting atmosphere created by the accommodating staff - thank you Vrat, Ben, Lucy, Tim, Derek and all reception and bar staff for treating us so well. Unfortunately we will return!

Room Tip: All the rooms in the east wing are fab but the rooms over the hotel need a little revamping though still comfortable and clean.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed at Hatton Court Hotel with a friend for a short get away break. Staff very welcoming, food exceptional. The hotel was lovely situated with rolling views over the countryside,easy driving access to Cheltenham &the Cotswolds.
A well Managed hotel, I would reccomend to friends & relatives.well deserving of a higher star rating.
Will look forward to returning in the near future.

Room Tip: Had room 43 in the annexed, very quiet, a wedding was on & never heard a thing.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Had a great weekend attending a wedding amongst friends. Arrived Friday afternoon, reception was good and booked into our room in the annex.

Room was very spacious with the added bonus of jacuzzi bath. Let down a little buy poor housekeeping (hair in bath plug and used cotton bud on floor) view was great from room and was nice and quiet. Enjoyed drinks in the bar and service was good.

Wedding was in the marque following day, a great venue and well laid out staff were attentive and polite. Let down by oh so slow service. Food was nice well presented and ok.

Breakfast over the stay was Jeckell and Hyde, first morning was excellent, quick tasty and service was great. Second morning was awful poor service, dramatically smaller portions, put it down to just a bad day in the office.

But fantastic location, ideal for local towns, lovely setting, nice rooms, great atmosphere.

In conclusion, a hotel with so much potential just needs to tighten up on the basics to get a better rating from me.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Paul A
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Enjoyed our two night break in the Cotswolds in this luxurious hotel. Room was contemporary and comfortable, with everything we needed, including a fridge. Food was lovely, in spite of being nouvelle cuisine. Lovely views from bedroom and restaurant. Lack of choice gfor breakfast on second day (no delivery?), otherwise would have given 5 stars. Would stay here again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple