“Lovely!”

Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

The best recommendation I can give is that I'd stay again!
Our room was lovely (4th floor) we had enough TV choice to watch a decent film in bed and the breakfast was spot on!
I don't think I need to say anything about the hotel & grounds as there are plenty of pictures.
The best thing tho was the staff. I stay in hotels every week with work and then there of course holidays too, but the staff here were awesome, especially the front desk, some of the most welcoming EVER!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
BowdenHall, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear Gary0202

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel.

What lovely words, thank you! We are certainly extremely proud of our team here at Bowden Hall as one thing that we never fail on is good service above everything, it can make the difference between a good stay and a great stay. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the Reception team and to all the staff involved in making your stay such a pleasurable one.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your experience with us and do hope that should you return to the Mercure Gloucester Bowden Hall then we look forward to welcoming you back for what we hope will be an equally pleasant stay.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Firstly I cannot believe some of the negative comments made about this establishment.
This was our third visit to Bowden and we have not had a bad or negative experience.
We had a room on the top floor and ok, it is not 5* but it was clean the bed was very comfy and the room very spacious.
In comparison to the hotels I stayed in last year Bowden is head and shoulders above them all.
We had a 2 night stay with evening meal on the first night and breakfast on both mornings, I cannot say a bad word about the quality of the food served.
The service from the moment we checked in to the moment we left was impeccable.
Ok some may say its a little tired and in need of a little tlc, but remember its a character building and you will find a lot worse than Bowden all over the country and I can name a few.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
BowdenHall, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear Ken M

Thank you for your kind review of the Mercure Gloucester Bowden Hall hotel.

We were pleased to read that you enjoyed your 3rd stay with us recently and that everything was to your satisfaction.

As long as our guests are welcomed, made to feel comfortable, enjoy a good night's sleep and enjoy a good hearty home-cooked breakfast then we are happy as we are providing the service expected of us as a hotel. We are glad that all of these aspects were enjoyed by yourselves during your experience with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel should you wish to visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
BowdenHall, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Reviewed 4 February 2014

I booked a junior suite ( 441 ) for my Husbands birthday as a surprise. On arrival I was a little disappointed for the amount that I paid £199 dbb for one night I expected a little more for my money. The carpet was grubby,the windows didn't open and the hospitality tray was very sparce although we were told we could request extra from reception. My Husband contacted the manager who reduced the bill by £20 due to an error and provided us with a complimentary bottle of wine.
Now for the good points, we had a very warm welcome from the receptionist.The evening meal was lovely, the ambiance really nice with soft music and our waiter was excellent. The four poster bed was so comfortable and linen was spotlessly clean. Breakfast again was very good and all the staff were attentive and friendly. We would not hesitate to return but only if the price was more reasonable.

Room Tip: No lift so ask for first floor if unable to manage stairs. Suites are on top floor,four flights of...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Dear JonKath75
Thank you for your comments for the Mercure Gloucester Bowden Hall. We welcome all comments and feedback.
The room you stayed in was a Superior Room which is one of our best rooms on the 4th floor ensuring a stunning view along with tranquillity and lots of space. Along with the dinner that was included in the rate, this is about right for such a room in a 4 star hotel in a beautifully situated area. You were initially charged £199 due to the early check in which incurs a fee of £20 normally and was indeed made in error, but as you mentioned, this was refunded to you and a bottle of wine was given free of charge which we hope you enjoyed.
We were pleased to hear that every other aspect of your stay was enjoyable and we will let the staff, who made your experience a welcome one, know of your comments. Overall we aim to make our guests as comfortable and welcome as possible so we are glad to see that you would return again.
We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you decide to stay again with us.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

What a fantastic stay we had this weekend at Bowden Hall. On arrival we were delighted with the outside of the building, regal and well kept for its age. The receptionist was courteous, polite and a good laugh too. The room was spotless as was the linen. On the Sunday after a fantastic night’s sleep we went down for breakfast, the waiting staff were so nice, welcoming and polite, the selection of food was excellent as was the quality. We then went out exploring again as we didn’t have to check out until 6pm, unheard of! We recommend Bowden Hall and its staff to any prospective visitors. We will be returning that’s for sure.

3  Thank Kenny3008

Dear Kenny3008
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We were pleased to read that you had a fantastic stay with us and it sounds as if you had an idyllic weekend.
We are glad that you found the hotel comfortable, the staff friendly and the breakfast enjoyable. Bowden Hall is perfectly situated to explore some beautiful parts of Gloucestershire and it’s great that you had the time to visit some of these places.
We will pass on your comments to the team involved in making your experience with us so pleasant and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Gloucester Bowden Hall when you return.

Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

Where do I start! Im one that's lived in hostels so I've had my fair share if gorey places as well as luxury hotels. This place ranks in my gorey list.

The outside is nice, however the picture presenst it in much better light. The main enterance is dated and tired. The receptionists aren't that friendly but thankfully not rude either. We weren't offered any assistance with our luggage, which is fine as it's only a 3 star hotel so I wasn't expecting 5* service.

When walking to our rooms we noticed the carpets looked dirty and very old. Some were very worn down and starting to shrubble up. I took very little notice at this point. When I opened the door to our room I was surprised how small and pokey it was. It seemed ok though but nothing special.

We headed straight to the bar after dropping our luggage off and checked out the rest of the hotel. Boy were we shocked!

We ordered two drinks and found mucky finger prints all over the glases. Not to make a fuss we wondered into the large sitting area. The carpet was all shrubled up and very dirty looking. We sat down and I got a sense of feeling dirty after looking at how manky the couch was - has this actually ever been cleaned? We left our drinks half empty and curious to see what the rest of the hotel was like we wondered into the dinning area shocked at how dangerous the carpet was: shrubled up very badly.

This was the last straw for us so we complained to the reveptionist about these problems. We got told the carpet is due for replacement - like I gave a hoot at that point - which is not much use to current guests. We asked for a refund but got told the computer says no attitude as it was past 3pm. We asked to speak to the manager and in 3mins came the person in charge (who was the same person who served us at the bar). He again mentioned the carpet was due for replacement soon of which I wasn't pleased at this point and made it clear it was a health and safety issue and I didnt care when it was being replaced as that didn't help our current situation. He then denied there were finger prints on the glasses so we asked him to take a look for himself rather than assuming we were lying.

We asked for a refund of which he couldn't provide as he wasn't the duty manager. He did however call the manager who offered a full regund. He was generally polite but not that appologetic.

I returned to get the luggage and I got another shock as I noticed one of the fire doors had a 4" gap at the bottom which is a major breach of health and safety regs.

We promptly left for Chepstow St Piere instead which was far more pleasant.

What a dump of a hotel that breached health and safety regs with that carpet and fire door. Lets hope for the safety of guests its changed and they clean those manky sofas.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Jay-Producer
BowdenHall, General Manager at Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Jay Producer Thank you for your input.

Sadly, this post cannot go totally uncommented upon: this is a public place. However, we have deliberately kept our remarks minimal.

We are of course very upset that Jay Producer left here feeling able to report their stay in such derogatory terms: Concerning the substantive issues raised i can confirm that we meet all the current Health and Safety and Fire guidelines. The guest booked a Classic bedroom. Had Jay Producer felt the room was not to his liking, we would have been more than happy to offer a room upgrade for the sum of £20.00 per Night.

I am delighted to announce that since your visit new carpets have now been replaced throughout the hotel public areas.

We will take on board the constructive point(s) they have made as we look to continue to improve over time, and please see other reviews to form a balanced judgement.

Kind regards

Gavin Jones

Reviewed 25 January 2014

I can't say how disappointed I have been with Bowden Hall. Having made a reservation a few weeks ago for my mother's 80th birthday on the basis that they do a carvery, I was phoned yesterday to be told that they have had their restaurant refurbished and now don't do a carvery. They must have known this at the time they not only took my booking but also took a sizeable deposit. Such a shame that they couldn't be bothered to tell me this at the outset and now I have to find another venue and also disappoint my mother. I certainly won't be going there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank M T
BowdenHall, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear M T

Thank you for your comments.

I have spoken with the General Manager and he informs me that when your booking was made, the hotel had yet not received it's refurbishment date for removal of the carvery unit. This happened to occur after you had placed your deposit and was therefore out of the hotel's hands. However, you were offered the choice of still having the same food as you would have done with a carvery (minus the self service unit obviously) and I do believe your deposit was returned to you straight away once you withdrew your booking.

We are sorry that you will not be visiting us and we do hope that the celebration of your mother's 80th birthday is a success.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Upton St Leonards
Hilton Puckrup Hall, Tewkesbury
Hotel Ibis Gloucester
Hotel Ibis Gloucester
#3 of 21 in Gloucester

Been to Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!