“Lovely Relaxing Break”

Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We recently returned from a very enjoyable 2 night bed and breakfast (dinner first night included) stay with friends. Hotel very spacious and welcoming. Staff couldn't do enough to please us and even provided typed walking route into Gloucester town centre for us. Food was excellent, especially the breakfasts. The only downside was no lift and it would have been helpful to have been warned of this when booking. Room was adequate with lovely view of the lake. (Biscuits would have been nice to have with the tea/coffee). On returning to our room after breakfast we were a little annoyed to find our room was being cleaned and made-up ready for next guests BEFORE we had checked out (check out time we were told was 12 oclock). On mentioning this to reception we were told that this should not have happened.

We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: View of the lake
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
BowdenHall, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear jananddenw

Many thanks for your comments on our hotel. We were glad to hear you enjoyed your 2 night break with us recently.

Our staff work endlessly to make sure that all of our guests have a pleasant stay so we are pleased that this was the case for you and that you thought the food and breakfast were good. Biscuits are provided in our Privilege rooms.

Due to the age and design of the building, we are unable to install a modern lift to all 4 floors. However we do have a Stannah platform lift that takes guests to the first floor and our reception team offer all of our guests assistance with their luggage upon check in. Unless any special requests are made upon booking, our reception team will be unaware of any special needs regarding mobility and therefore will room guests accordingly.

With regards to our housekeeping team cleaning your room before you checked out, this rarely ever happens and shouldn't have happened so for that we apologise.

However, we are really glad that you would choose to stay with us again and if you decide to re-book then we look forward to welcoming you back again.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel

Reviewed 17 April 2014

The Mercure hotel is set in lovely country grounds, We did get lost as out sat nav was confused but finally we found the hotel. The parking was easy with beautiful gardens. The staff were friendly, efficient and they even loaned us an adaptor for I phone. The room was clean and we had nice view of the garden. We ordered the room service as we were tired after driving all day as we had been touring some Cotswold villages on the way from London. The food was very reasonable but some items arrived a bit cold which is my only gripe.
There was a wedding at the hotel that weekend and I asked some of guests if they were happy with the venue and they all seemed pleased as this is perfect setting for a wedding. It is also a good getaway for romantic weekends.
I would definitely stay at this hotel again

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Smeets P

Dear Smeets P

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Gloucester Bowden Hall.

Indeed we are set away a little from everything but this ensures a quiet, tranquil and relaxing stay. There are several routes to the hotel including main roads but once you are in Upton St Leonards, there is ample signage to Bowden Hall.

We are extremely proud of all our staff particularly our Reception team who work tirelessly to ensure that all guests are welcomed and are looked after from the outset so we were pleased to read that they were able to accommodate you with regards to a phone charger.

We usually have great reviews about our food so we can only apologise if some of your room service food wasn't as warm as you would have liked. Although no excuse, we can only imagine that the fact we had a large wedding in house may have accounted for the food being anything less to your satisfaction.

The hotel is a perfect getaway for couples and newlyweds due to the romantic location with it's scenic grounds and lake making it ideal for weekend breaks hidden away but still not too far from local towns, attractions and of course the beautiful Cotswolds.

We are pleased to read that you would stay again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Only downside was the absence of a proper self operated lift . I checked before booking and was told there was a lift. What they actually do have is a wheelchair hoist up one of the stairs, This is an open platform with guard rails and small ramps. It has to be operated by a staff member. Not easy for people who are unsteady on their feet. My wife found it frightening. Staff offered to put a chair on the platform but it was better for me to go up and down with her. However staff responded immediately when asked for assistance and were very helpful.

Why is it assumed that all disabled people are in wheelchairs?

Room Tip: Just be aware of the access situation if stairs are a problem.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TorvicSolihull
BowdenHall, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear torvicSolihull

Thank you for taking the time to leave some feedback for the Mercure Gloucester Bowden Hall.

We are glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

With regards to the lift, we apologise if you felt you were misled by our Reservations team and told that there was a fully operational lift to all the floors. Unfortunately we cannot have a modern lift due to the age and design of the building. However, we do have a platform lift to the first floor as you discovered when staying here.

The lift is very steady and slow and designed for guests such as yourselves as it was designed by Stannah and not at all meant to terrify anybody. However we are most glad that our helpful staff were on hand to assist you promptly to ensure that you were not inconvenienced too much.

We wish you well with your future travels.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

I took my wife for a surprise birthday treat.
The the staff, facilities where great, with nice rooms and excellent menu.
Nice grounds and a good selection of gins in the bar
Would highly recommend for s relaxing stay, close to the city too
Good standards which I believe is a constant within the chain
A good value for money booking.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Davidnewbold1600

Dear Davidnewbold1600

Many thanks for taking the time to leave some comments for our hotel.

We were thrilled to read that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us here at Bowden Hall. I do hope she was suitably surprised and enjoyed her birthday!

We pride ourselves on offering great service with good food and a comfortable night's sleep. Our staff enjoy welcoming guests and looking after them which we feel is of utmost importance for a good hotel experience.

The hotel's proximity to Gloucester with it's historic docks and quayside shops and restaurants along with Royal Cheltenham Spa a bit further along and the beautiful Cotswolds nearby make it ideal as a base for exploring Gloucestershire.

We do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future where we can offer you another great stay.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

A very good hotel and on our weekend break providing extremely good value for money. Only down side was no lift which I would have liked prior warning of as I have a problem with stairs and could have requested a room on the ground floor.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank 115LizF

Dear 115LizF

Thank your for your feedback.

We were happy to hear that you enjoyed your weekend break with us recently and that you found us good value for money.

With regards to there being no lift, we do have a platform lift to the first floor for guests with mobility issues as we do not have any ground floor rooms. We always advise guests upon booking to let us know of any mobility issues or special requests so that we can accommodate you appropriately.

However we do hope that this did not hinder your stay too much and that you decide to return to the Mercure Gloucester Bowden Hall in the future.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Enjoyed our stay very much no complaints at all. Pleasant staff, good food, very nice quiet surroundings, The hotel was very clean. Free wifi . All that we required and at a good offer deal price. Look forward to a return trip.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank kjnKentEngland

Dear kjnKentEngland

Thank you for your review of our hotel.

We were really pleased to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us recently.

The hotel is indeed situated in extremely pleasant and tranquil surroundings making it ideal for a relaxing weekend break for couples and families also.

I will pass on your kind comments to all the staff involved in making your stay such a pleasant one and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Gloucester Bowden Hall hotel in the future.

Warm regards

Reviewed 5 April 2014

My wife and I booked a long weekend away at Bowden Hall on a deal that gave us two nights bed and breakfast with dinner of the first night. We had stayed there once before on a similar deal about seven years ago and had enjoyed it that time. The deal was good in that it included £22 per head for the dinner. This could be used to have the limited set menus, or you could use it against the full brasserie menu. Looked like we couldn’t go wrong.

The location is good for a weekend away as it is in the countryside very near Gloucester. I can see that it is probably frequented during the week by conferences and by wedding parties at the weekend. There was a wedding the weekend that we stayed. I must credit the hotel that as a non-wedding party guest, we were not pushed to the margins; however we did not eat in the brasserie on the Saturday night. It does look like a good place to get married, as it is quite picturesque.

On checking in early on Friday afternoon, we were met by friendly reception staff. All of the staff were friendly and helpful. We were told that by checking in early, we were allocated with a room with a view. We thought: should be good as this is a 4 star hotel. In reality, it disappointed. The view was OK, but the room was nothing special. It had one rather empty corner. It seemed that there was something missing. As there was a spare power socket in that corner, I guess that there was a standard lamp missing. If that’s not the case, then I suggest a standard lamp is added.

The room looked rather tired, however the bed was comfortable. There were no biscuits of any type with the tea and coffee. I expect something with my tea, especially in a 4 star hotel. Only one set of towels were out, the second set were in the wardrobe. Things were starting to grate a bit now. There was only one small tube of shower gel and one of shampoo in the bathroom. It was a bit of a struggle to make the stuff last for two people, especially if you wanted a shower in the evening and then another in the morning. It did get replaced when the room was serviced. I have been in a number of other hotels where this does not automatically happen.

There was no information of any type in the room. Upon asking in reception, we were told it was on the TV. Well, it would be helpful to have that information on a card in the room. Also, there was no information about what TV channels were available; you had to flick through them all. I’m sorry, but this is not what I expect from a 4 star hotel (sorry to keep on repeating it).

Now, let’s get to the subject of Wifi. In this day and age, when you go to a “fine establishment”, I expect free to use and fast Wifi. Well, we were given a password, but it was not needed. Why? Then when we logged in, had to put in room number and name, then presented with a limited free option, and two paid options. It should be free for guests! I get free Wifi in independent B&Bs and hotels and other chain hotels. Why do some chain hotels think that they can get away with charging? After some use we were eventually logged out as our free sessions had run out. Not impressed. Also, why is the home page after logging in the hotel website? I’m staying already and I really don’t need any more information about the hotel as I can get it on my TV (once you know).

Dinner in the brasserie on the Friday night was pleasant. As I noted before, we could choose from the whole brasserie menu and make up the difference in cost. This is what we did. Before ordering, we were told that there was no steak and that one of the salads would come with Feta cheese. Fortunately neither of us wanted steak. Having no steak is not good. The service was good and the food was average, but nothing particularly special.

Breakfast was average, but again the hotel was lacking items. The menu on the table mentioned cooked meats and cheese; none to be seen. The fried bread on the Saturday morning could have been used for foundations within a building. It must have been out for ages without anyone checking that it was still OK.

My wife ordered a hot chocolate, but the waitress said she could not operate the machine, and the supervisor, who could, was servicing a room. No hot chocolate arrived as we had finished before the supervisor was back. Strikes me a double booking staff, and wasn’t there anyone in the kitchen who can operator a drink machine?

Breakfast on Sunday was busier as the wedding party had got up early. The cooked breakfast items were fresh, but this was probably because of the fast turnover as there were a lot of people eating. The niggles this time were that there were no plates out for toast and pastries, and that the hot chocolate did arrive this time, except it could be, at best, described as lukewarm chocolate.

Around the hotel, there were a number of things that showed disrepair and not up to standard. We saw four different non-matching and somewhat clashing carpets, a beige/ brown striped one in reception and the public rooms, a patterned green carpet on stairs, and two different patterned blue carpets on floors. They really did not go together. I noticed that the lining of the curtains in both the brasserie and the lounge were falling apart and frayed. The sofas in the lounge were OK, but looked tired.

Something people of limited mobility should be aware of is that there is no lift in the hotel. There is a stair lift on the first flight of stairs out of the reception area, but you are requested to get the help of staff to use it.

So the overall experience was one of disappointment. Most of the niggles are easy things to fix, and hopefully the management will fix them. It just was not what we expected from a 4 star hotel.
Then the real icing on the cake was when we were checking out. The hotel had added a £6+ gratuity to the bill. Fortunately we noticed that and got it removed. There was nothing anywhere about a service charge, and a gratuity is something that the customer gives, not something that the service provider adds on!

This hotel needs some money spent upon it to tidy it up and bring it back up to a 4 star hotel standard, but not by adding on hidden gratuities. If you stay here, check your bill carefully.

In the end, a weekend that slightly disappointed due to apparent penny pinching.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank The_Quiglet
BowdenHall, General Manager at Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear The_Quiglet

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Gloucester Bowden Hall Hotel, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Gloucester Bowden Hall Hotel and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Yours sincerely,

Hatherley Manor
#1 of 1 in Down Hatherley
Hilton Puckrup Hall, Tewkesbury
Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham

Been to Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!