“A last minute gem.”

The Farmers Boy Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Longhope B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We booked at the last minute using LateRooms.com, it looked really good online.
On arrival we were warmly greeted and shown to our room. It was snug but beautifully furnished with a very large, comfortable bed. We dined in the very cosy and atmospheric Inn where the staff were friendly and efficient. The menu was impressive and we were told of the FBI app which would give 10% off the food and staff helped me download it to my iPad. The food was amazing! Beautifully presented, piping hot and really tasty. I wished we were staying longer to try more dishes. After a very peaceful night, we had breakfast which was first class, the best cooked breakfast we had had for a long time. We left feeling we had found a real gem of a location. It exceeded our expectations and will be kept in our sat nav for future trips.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jo92photos
PhilKiernan, Owner at The Farmers Boy Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Hi Jo,

Thank you for your great review! I'm pleased you enjoyed your experience at The Farmer's Boy!

We Hope to See You Again Soon so you can try out more of the menu!

There are newer reviews for The Farmers Boy Inn

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I often wonder people's motives for trip advisor reports. Are they competitors trying to slight the opposition? I try to give an honest review with a slant on suitability for disabled/wheelchair users. Why do people take it upon themselves to try and destroy a good reputation based on their own inability to read or based on something beyond the premises control.
I stayed on a voucher deal which was excellent value for money. The room was comfortable and the walk in shower excellent. Personally I thought the room was big enough I don't go away wanting to swing cats dogs or even horses , give me clean comfortable and well appointed as well as stylish everyday.
The pub is very warm and cosy with a good atmosphere. Food excellent and great portions. Had one of the pie meals which is as good as advertised . Breakfast was faultless great choices freshly cooked and sets you up for the day. The staff are very friendly and professional and do everything they can to enhance your stay.
There is a single step to get into your room and level access into the pub as I recall. I think there are about eight rooms and the courtyard is very well kept and cosy. From my room I heard no traffic noise
On a sour note the M25 was horrendous to get there and the sat nav sent me the wrong way and I hold the owner responsible for not locating his premises closer to where I live. If it was I doubt that I would ever eat at home again. The locals are very lucky IMO. A great stay and if I'm in the area again I would definitely stay here.

Room Tip: All rooms seem equally well appointed and tended to
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GB64

Hi,

Thank you for your great review, i think it's the best i have ever seen! I'm pleased you enjoyed your experience at The Farmer's Boy and the detailed account you gave of it!

We Hope to See You Again Soon next time i will work on M25 and improving SatNavs! Don't forget to Download our App!

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Spent five nights at The Farmers Boy Inn and cannot recommend highly enough. Food was fantastic, especially the pies !!!! The room was lovely, and the attention to detail throughout the whole place was second to none. The pub itself is oldy worldy and a great location for exploring the Forest of Dean and surrounding area. Tip, download their app for great special offers......they even produced a cake for my wife's birthday !!!!! A must visit !! Well done Phil and the team. Definitely be back soon !

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Mark R

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your great review! I'm pleased you enjoyed your whole experience at The Farmer's Boy!

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Visited this comfortable pub the other night with friends and had a delicious meal. The staff were charming and helpful and my food was excellent. Good value for money and the pub had a very good ambience. Would thoroughly recommend.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Hi Jane,

Thank you for your great review! I'm pleased your experience at The Farmer's Boy!

We Hope to See You Again Soon! Don't forget to Download our App!

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Nice but small room. We found the room to be clean and the beds very comfortable with a lovely spacious shower/toilet. The room however was very small and we had difficulty finding space for our cases. The surfaces were also already taken with 'nic-naks'. We arrived too late for a meal, but were offered a delicious ham salad which was gratefully received. The main issue was the interconnecting door with the room next door which was just a single wooden door. We could clearly hear the residents talking, moving about and even breathing in the night which was a very uncomfortable experience. We will not be returning for this reason.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Hi Sheila,

Thank you for your review and your constructive comments, we are currently working on soundproofing the interconnecting door so this does not happen again.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Stopped here for one night .Staff were very friendly and pleasant all the while nothing was to much trouble for them ,The bad points are the room was very close to the road so you heard every passing car or lorry all night a very busy road. On the plus side they were very clean and comfortable with everything you need.The restaurant was very dark but clean and neat and good food The bar was having a new floor down so could not go in that part.

Room Tip: any room is oki think all rooms are the same but I don't know for sure sorry
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi,

Thank you for your review! I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, unfortunately we can't change our location and we are next to the A40, i do tend to think he depends on what type of sleeper you are.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The room was comfortable and clean. The bed was enormous and comfy. The staff were helpful and friendly. Phil made an effort to talk to everybody. Would definitely stay again and recommend it to everyone

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lesley C
PhilKiernan, Owner at The Farmers Boy Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Hi Lesley,

Thanks for your fantastic review! I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay at The Farmer's Boy Inn!

We Hope to see you again soon! Don't forget to download our app!

Phil Kiernan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Longhope
The Speech House Hotel
Lea House Bed & Breakfast
Ferndale House
Ferndale House
#1 of 2 in Lydbrook

Been to The Farmers Boy Inn? Share your experiences!