“Outstanding food and service”

The Farmers Boy Pub and Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 7 Restaurants in Longhope
Price range: US$13 - US$45
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Welcome to The Award Winning Farmer's Boy Inn Longhope Simply put, we love food. Not just for what it is, but for the experience that accompanies it. Homely surroundings, great company and conversation, attentive waiters, who become friends and of course fine wines from around the world. After an evening of gastro food delights, gourmet pies and laughter in front of the open fire retire to our courtyard of boutique individually designed rooms and drift off, to wake up to the sounds, sights and smells of the idyllic Gloucestershire countryside. Followed of course by a hearty breakfast and maybe a stroll up the majestic May Hill
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Outstanding food and service”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Wow, went here for a work's do and had a phenomenal meal. The menu is superb and varied, thrown in with a burger man/woman versus food challenge which to be honest very few could conquer, (the bread roll would have done me never mind all the rest of it). They also have a steak challenge something like a 2lb rump in 30 mins and all the trimmings too. The Staff are very friendly and helpful and made us immediately welcome. The pies looked fantastic and tasted great and the beef welly was amazing. Extra gravy and massive fat chips were continually coming out but to be honest there wasn’t much need for extra portions as the plates were stacked with loads of food to begin with. The sweet menu was fantastic with the lemon meringue pie and gin and tonic sorbet getting rave reviews. This establishment is found within a great setting and beer garden with a bouncy castle, unfortunately being over 12 I wasn’t allowed on it booo ha ha. Overall a great night out with great food and great staff. BZ.

• Visited August 2014
PhilKiernan, Owner at The Farmers Boy Pub and Restaurant, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your great review! I am pleased you enjoyed your time at The Farmer's Boy Inn even though you couldn't go on The Bouncy Castle!

Hope to see you again soon! Don't forget to download our app!

Swindon, United Kingdom
“The Pies were bigger then my eyes!”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I arrived unannounced (no booking etc) at the Farmers Boy Inn (FBI) late last Saturday evening and was warmly greeted by the bar staff and the owner (Phil) who immediately made me feel welcomed.
I found the FBI to be one of those rare pubs where you almost instantly get involved in a friendly 3 or 4 way conversation with other customers, the bar staff and the chef (once he'd managed to escape from the kitchen!-) which made you feel very much at home.
Although I didn't have a meal in the restuarant I did take the opportunity to purchase a few of their specialist pies to take home for later enjoyment.
When you're rummaging through the selection in the deli (attached to the pub) the pies look to be a good size and therefore good value but when I got them home and tried to shoehorn them into my freezer I realised these pies are not "portioned sized" for the faint hearted and are a meal in themselves!
I'm already looking forward to popping in again when I pass the FBi next time and even if I can't stay for too long (or have one too many) I will make the time for another rummage through the deli and the pie selection in particular.

• Visited August 2014
Hi Jay,

Thanks for your fantastic review! I'm pleased you enjoyed your experience at The Farmer's Boy Inn!

We Hope to see you again soon and that this time you stay for a little longer! Don't forget to download our app!

“Family friendly pub”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Took the kids 3 and 10 months, to meet up and have lunch with some grown up friends today. We are new to gloucestershire so went on a recommendation and weren't disappointed. Lovely oldy worldy pub right on the A40 so very easy to find and convenient! All the staff were friendly and helpful, even down to going to great lengths sorting out their water logged bouncy castle for my 3 yr old, thank you much appreciated. Was not as busy as I thought it would be but it was a hot day and summer holidays so maybe not what everyone wants in the heat, but this worked to our advantage as we had a whole level of seating pretty much to ourselves. Loved the fact there was a garden with enough for little ones to be entertained whilst waiting for food (bouncy castle, trampoline, swing and slide). Menus were vast with enough for everyone including 2 vegetarians in our party. As pies were recommended we all had a pie. Love the fact you choose a filling the size the pie crust and side veg and potatoes. I went for chicken leek and mushroom 2 in 1 with half cauliflower cheese which was lovely but would definitely want to try a steak one next time they appeared to have stronger flavours mixed in like Stilton and ale and I have a personal bizarre issue with chunks of chicken (haven't marked it down for this!!!!). Hubbie had venison and pheasant pie but sadly he felt it lacking in flavour somehow, I tried it and thought it was lovely, no pleasing some!! Despite that we will definitely be coming back so much other food to try and I didn't even really look at the rest of the menu. Everyone else ate all their pies the veggies had butternut squash and sweet potato I think, and they loved it. All in all a lovely afternoon spent here!!

PhilKiernan, Owner at The Farmers Boy Pub and Restaurant, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Hi Rachael,

Thanks for your Great Review! I'm pleased you enjoyed your time at The Farmer's Boy especially the pies and the children taking full advantage of the garden!

We hope to see you and the family again soon! Don't forget to download our app!

“Pies”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Had a meal at the Farmers Boy last weekend. Service good and friendly and in the main food was good however, all four of us had meat pies, the fillings were excellent but the so-called shortcrust pastry was hard as rocks and practically iossible to cut. The feeling and impression given was that the pies were prebaked then heated up in the oven I.e. overcooked. However it could be my idea of shortcrust pastry that melts in the mouth is wrong. Would we go back? Not sure.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for taking the time to write a Review! I'm pleased the team looked after you and i am looking into your constructive comments

We hope to see you again soon! Don't forget to download our app!

Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable Experience”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Great place to visit when travelling through the Forest of Dean. Quaint Pub on the A40. Food is excellent & bar staff friendly. Lovely Pies (although this isn't all they do) which they have won awards for. If you feel up to it go for the Big Ugly Burger.

Visited June 2014
Hi,

Thanks for your Great Review! I'm pleased you enjoyed your time at The Farmer's Boy especially the pies!

We hope to see you again soon! Don't forget to download our app!