“Great authentic italian food very reasonably priced”

Nonna Maria's Place
Ranked #27 of 469 Restaurants in Parramatta
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Sydney
“Great authentic italian food very reasonably priced”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We went to this restaurant for a family birthday based on all the positive tripadvisor reviews & it didn't disappoint. Like most of the other reviewers have said - the decor is very basic. However, the food was delicious and very reasonable. In particular I can highly recommend the sweet potato gnocchi (i had it with the pesto sauce which was delicious but would try a different sauce next time), the pizzette proscuito and the chicken schnitzel napolitano. Our only disappointment was that there was no tiramisu available on the night we attended (other reviewers have raved about this dessert) so we will just have to go back another night to get some. Just one warning, make sure you have plenty to drink as all he meals were very salty but that only seemed to add to the flavour. Overall, the family loved the food at this restaurant and we will return.

• Visited January 2014

Cairns, Australia
“Yummy Italian food”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We have been a few times now. Its not a fancy looking restaurant or anything but the food is authentic. The yummiest sweet potato gnocchi and prawns. The prices are very reasonable too. Around $17 for a good size plate of gnocchi. They give free warm continental bread and homemade lemonade too. Looking forward to eating there again soon.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank cole80
Sydney, Australia
“Overhyped, Very Sad to Say”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I have been looking forward to Nonna Maria's for some time. We got takeaway tonight, didn't order in the restaurant, they don't have EFTPOS, so that would have been nice to know so we did not have to find an ATM to pick up our order. My husband had the sweet potato gnocchi and I had the pesto fettuccine. Both could only be described as average. As pesto pasta is something I routinely make myself at home with supermarket ingredients, I was expecting to taste something better than what I could produce myself and I didn't. The garlic bread was beautiful but expensive for what it was. For such a small menu, cash only, and quality of food, we won't be back.

new zealand
“Huge disappointment”
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I find it hard to believe that this restaurant is ranked 2 out of 70 in Parramatta. I went there for the first time, with my husband's Italian family, and had one of my worst ever restaurant experiences.

We arrived at 7pm, and didn't even receive menus until after 7.30pm (and even then there weren't enough for everyone). We waited another 40 minutes for our order to be taken. We were at the back part of the restaurant and the waitess was nowhere to be seen. By the time the entrees arrived at about 8.40pm we were absolutely starving. Our mains arrived about 9.30pm and our entree plates hadn't even been cleared. We weren't given any new cultery so we all had to use the same cultery for entree and main.

As it was BYO we brought our own wine. There were no wine glasses on the table and we didn't get a chance to ask for wine glasses until our food orders were taken. We asked for 8 glasses and were given 4! There was no point in even trying to ask for the rest, so some of us just drank wine out of the water glasses.

The food was average. The pasta was over cooked, the Osso Buco was nothing special. But seriously, by the time we received our food we would have eaten anything.

We had brought our own birthday cake. That was finally served at 10.30pm. We were the last ones in the restaurant at that stage. There was no mention of tea or coffee orders from the waitress.

The total lack of service made this an extremely disappointing restaurant and I would certainly never bother to return.

Sydney, Australia
“Over-rated”
Reviewed 10 July 2013

This place is a bit of a worry, for an Italian restaurant. The first warning sign is the number of mis-spellings of Italian dishes on the menu. The Cielo,Terra, Mare (or something like that) is basically some sort of schnitzel, quite oily, plonked on a plate with an Italian sausage and a few prawns. No salad or anything else offered. It is cheap, and fairly cheerful, but nothing to write home about.

1 Thank OzNana