The hotel is located in a great spot, between the luxuriant La Timpa natural reserve and the deep blue water of the Ionian sea. As you enter the lobby of the hotel you have to take your breath looking at the the outdoor swimming pool which seems to end directly into the sea, and then the staff at the reception will take care of spoiling the enchantment.
The two major problems of this hotel are the staff - there are not enough staff members and the ones that are there look like they'd love being somewhere else, and the maintanance of the property which would need some works of renovation to be a real 4 star hotel.
The management must be aware of these as they face the crisis keeping prices for accomodation in half board pretty low - which means that hordes of families with childreon of different ages will attack the buffet twice a day and while you are fighting with waiters to have you table done, most of the food will be gone.
That said, I still recommend the place if:
- you have your own car or you think of renting one. There is not much you can do around the hotel if you have to walk while instead driving to the Etna, to Taormina or other nice locations is pretty easy from Santa Tecla.
- you skip dinners. Unless you really get an incredible price and you use to have breakfast and dinner very early, try to avoid half board accomodation: food is not impressive and many of the ingredients are frozen.
- like rocks. In the area there are not many real beaches and however there's no thin sand. The Santa Tecla has it's own wooden platform on the sea and a solarium, no beach - but this is common in the whole area around Acireale. The water is pure and small fishes will swim with you!
One last remark: classic rooms are out of fashion. Superior rooms have been refurbished and are pleasent. The sea view sometimes include a view of the parking area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Santa Tecla Palace is nestled on the cliffs of the Sicilian volcanic coastline, overlooking the azure waters of the Ionian Sea, between Catania and Taormina surrounded by the Natural Reserve of Timpa di Acireale (CT). It's convenient location makes it easy to venture out into the countryside of the island and discover all of its nature and history. Visiting mount Etna is one of the musts since it is only 30min drive from the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, Prestigia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Santa Tecla Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Santa Tecla Palace Hotel
- Hotel Santa Tecla Palace Sicily, Italy