“Ok ”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Swalwell
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Ok ”
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

Went with eight mates on stag weekend, good location, use taybarns for breakfast as it's only over the road, hotel is basic but cheap,
Staff are really nice, don't expect quiet if you go at weekends though as it's full of stag & hen parties!
In short, nice & clean but can be noisy

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Having stayed here before and being disappointed yet again we were. There were holes in the towels, the bottom of the bath was black, the hair dryer burnt out when I was drying my hair. We will be staying clear from now on. The only good part of it was the meal at the Skiff in beside here, well worth a visit

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

TravelodgeUK, Dianne from Customer Care at Travelodge Gateshead, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear guesswho84, we’re really sorry about the poor experience you had in our hotel. Please can you give us some more detail of your stay so we can address your concerns. To help us contact you please can you visit our website and select the Contact Us button to give us more detail and be sure to click on the ‘link from TripAdvisor’ option when submitting your details.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Stayed here as a basic place to rest our heads. Much better than I was expecting. Rooms were nice and clean (though note olive incident below), beds very comfy. We booked family rooms, and on arrival the sofa beds had been pulled out & made up already, which was nice.

Was quiet, too, though we were there on a week night. Couple of diner style restaurants near by, as well as the usual fast food places. Was plenty of free parking just outside, too.

Only negative was the presence of a single green olive (possibly garlic stuffed) on the floor just under one of the beds. Well it's a change from a choc on the pillow, I guess.

Overall pretty good though, and can't really fault it for value, especially if you can get one of the advance rates. Would certainly stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This hotel is well located for the Metro Centre which is only a two minute car ride away and has some restaurants very close by that make it an ideal location for a shopping trip. The hotel itself was fine with the room clean and tidy so I have no complaints on that score. However the weekend clientele is a totally different ball game. There was someone being sick outside our room on our first night and we also had shouting and raised voices from different sized groups coming back to their room. The next day a bus arrived with a Hen Party and we thought we were in for another sleepless night. Although woken up by them returning it was by them all sshhhing each other and giggling (This I can put up with although not too happy that it happened).

Now before anyone starts criticising me for raining down on someones fun that is not my intention as I like to have fun along with everyone else. What I do object to is not being told in advance that this happens at this hotel until we mentioned the noise when we were checking out. The lady on reception stated that it is a very common occurrence and happens just about every weekend. So if this is the case then why do they do family rooms and why don't the tell people before they book. I would have personally booked a different hotel if I had know just so I could get a decent nights kip and I am sure that family in the room next to us must have been thinking along the same lines especially when their children were very young.

As I said at the beginning a nice enough hotel and well located but avoid at the weekends if you are looking for some peace and quiet.

Room Tip: Avoid at weekends if you want peace and quiet
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank IanMullen9670
Dear IanMullen9670, we want our customers to enjoy their stays with us and get a good night’s sleep. We’re really sorry to hear about the disruption you experienced in our hotel. We ask customers to be courteous to other guests during their stay and try to avoid larger groups from being allocated rooms together away from other guests to avoid disruption. Our hotel staff will be made aware of your feedback so that they can address these issues and we apologise for the inconvenience caused on this occasion.
North West
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I’ve just returned from a one night stay at the Gateshead Travelodge having stayed as part of a large group for a hen weekend.
I didn’t make the original booking but the person that did said the lady at the Travelodge was very helpful and easily met everyone’s requirements. The rooms were booked a few months ago so we were able to make the most of the excellent price of £30 per room.
On arrival check in was swift and well organised despite there being 42 of us!
From what I could tell from speaking to the others in the party all the rooms had been recently redecorated and refurnished to a good standard.
My room was clean with a new bed, bedding, carpet and curtains and the whole appearance and standard of finish in the room was excellent. Two pillows per person were standard and the towels good quality with the bath towel a decent size.
The bathroom was clean and well equipped with the usual shallow bath and overhead shower which worked a treat.
The only thing that let the room down was the sofa bed as it was the original upholstery and was grubby looking and worn, why this hadn’t been either removed or reupholstered I don’t know as that was the only thing that let the room down. My single occupancy of the room meant that the sofa bed wasn’t used but had it been then I would have been asking for a change of room or sofa bed.
One other minus but this isn’t really the Travelodge fault was that my room was almost directly over the entrance door so that when taxis full of giggling chattering women were returning back to the Travelodge until about 4.15am I kept being woken up. However, that said the internal sound proofing between the corridor and the other rooms was very good!
Location of the Travelodge was very good; it is just outside Newcastle but not too far away. The cost of the taxi ride back at 2am for 4 of us was £11 which I thought was very good value.
There is also plenty of free parking on the site of the Travelodge should you take your own vehicle.
If I need to stay in that location again I would happily do so without hesitation but probably request a room on the same side overlooking the car park but further away from the entrance.

Room Tip: Overlooking the rear car park but away from the entrance.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank happytraveller045
Lancashire
Reviewed 26 September 2013

As we had decorators at home, we decided to have a couple of days away to get away from the smell of paint. Upon arrival we had to wait a couple of minutes for the receptionist as she was busy. As we were checking in, the receptionist was very friendly and chatty and told us where our room was, room was clean and fresh, only one slight problem was a lack of towels, that was rectified within two minutes. During our stay, we were not woken up at all during the night, the bed was very comfortable, shower clean and workable. We had a very pleasant stay. Within a two minute walk there is a Frankie and Benny's, TGI Fridays and a KFC, we had breakfast at F & Bs both days which was great, and you are within walking distance of the Metro Centre if you don't want to drive there. All in all our stay was what we expected, cheap and cheerful, pleasant staff and our room had been completely refurbished (103). The only thing I could complain about was the cost of the wifi which is too expensive, but saying that, at F&B you get free wifi and unlimited tea or coffee so for us that was not a problem. Would certainly stay here again

Room Tip: As I am partly disabled we opted for a disabled room which had a wet room (103) . This had been refu...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dave K
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

The bath in my room was not clean and looked like it had not been cleaned properly for weeks. There is no excuse for poor hygiene..

Moreover, all night I could hear orders being taken at the KFC Drive-through.

I would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: try to get a room at the front away from the KFC.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
TravelodgeUK, Sophie from Customer Care at Travelodge Gateshead, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
We’re really sorry about the poor experience you had in our hotel Lost_Me_Socks. Our rooms are expected to be cleaned to a specific high standard. Please can you give us some more detail of your stay so we can address your concerns. To help us contact you please can you visit our website and select the Contact Us button to give us more detail and be sure to click on the ‘link from TripAdvisor’ option when submitting your details.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swalwell
Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre
Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Me...
#16 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Newcastle Gateshead Marriott Hotel MetroCentre
Ramada Encore Newcastle-Gateshead
Jurys Inn Newcastle Gateshead Quays
Premier Inn Newcastle (Metro Centre) Hotel
Premier Inn Newcastle - Team Valley

Been to Travelodge Gateshead? Share your experiences!