“Well Equipped Hotel - Staff can be a bit on or off.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport

Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Rumlang
Meols, United Kingdom
“Well Equipped Hotel - Staff can be a bit on or off.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

We only stayed at this hotel for 1 night whilst we waited for a connecting flight from the airport the following day.
We arrived quite late at around 8pm. The check-inn/reception staff seemed a little rushed but still after a few minutes waiting in a queue we were seen and quickly checked-in and were delt with very courteously. We were thanked for being an IHG customer and the proceeded to our room.

We entered and our eyes were blazed with white. The lights were very bright and everything was white from the bed-sheets to the walls. However, it sort of worked, the room was spectacularly clean. As we settled in we discovered that the TV has English channels including BBC & ITV, which was a beautiful surprise and good to see some English TV abroad. The bathroom was beautiful with colourful lighting and a great power 'rain' shower and it was very well kept and cleaned.

The only problem we had was when we wanted to organise an early morning wake-up call. We used the phone to ring down to reception who informed us that you could do it directly from the hand-set in the room. However, something was missing from our phone (a paper insert) so we had no idea of how to set up a wake up call. With this info, we rang down again to tell them this, but they seemed to ignore us and told us the instructions were on the hand-set. We yet again said this wasn't possible, but they were intent on saying it was. So, in the end we hang up and my father actually walked down to reception to show them and then they just agreed to phone up themselves.

The free shuttle bus from the airport was very handy as it saved us a few Euros and the bar was very nice and even though we came down at 5am, breakfast was already all out and we picked at some food whilst we waited for the shuttle bus.

I would definitely have no hesitation in booking this again as it's a beautiful hotel and most of the staff are excellent as well.

ENJOY YOUR STAY!

Room Tip: Higher rooms give better views.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Holiday Inn Exp... Z, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for booking our hotel and for giving us such a detailed feed-back about your stay at our Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
We will check all the rooms today to make sure that all telephones have the exact description for the guests so that they can operate the phone without any issue. Again thank you for this important information.

Thomas Mettler, GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

I was in Zurich on a business trip and took my family with me. Reading stories here, I wanted to change, but in the end was happy that we stayed there. Room was clean, service very good. I reckon that when people complain about the front desk, they do not say that there is a free shuttle to/from the airport and when you have 20 people arriving at the same time of course there will be a Q. I reckon that for HOlInn Xpress the standard was good. Both managers we met were great and very helpful. Breakfast was enough for us and I liked the swiss cake. Train station is 3 minutes walk distance, airport shuttle for free. Overall, I can recommend the hotel. It is not Intercon, but you also pay a very good price (for overall expensive Switzerland).

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Holiday Inn Exp... Z, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for staying at our hotel and for writing such a detailed review. We are very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that you were satisfied with our helpful service.

Hope to see you soon back again at our property.

Regards
Jakarta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

With location close to airport and the train station, I think this hotel has no other good things to offer.

Front office service is slow, you can see people lining up. It would be better if they can organize a bit so it wouldn't be a long queue. Wi-Fi is free for 30mins, you have to pay for the rest. Food for breakfast was nothing special. Stay for 3 days and it was the same everyday.

All in all, pretty standard. You come and sleep, that's it.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying at our property and for giving us such a detailed review. These information will help us to increase our quality standards.
We have reacted at once and will take the following steps:

1. more staff will be present in the evening for the check-in period to avoid waiting time
2. our IT-Manger was informed and we will make sure the Front-Office System is upgraded and that it will work faster
3. We offer 30 Minutes free internet for our guest to check their emails and also to print boarding passes. Our Priority Club Platim and Gold members receive free internet and from 1st January on also our Priortity Basic/Club members will receive free internet all the time. I recommend to enrol and become a member of the IHG loyality program. I will be a pleasure to assist you and offer our help if you have questions.
4. I will discuss the variety of the breakfast buffet with our F&B-Supervisor

We apologize once more for any inconveniences caused and please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss your stay more in detail with me. All supl. information will be a big help for us.

Kind regards
Thomas Mettler, GM (gm@hiexzurich.ch)
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

I think the hotel is fine unless you have a problem. Unfortunately we had one, with the shuttle bus, and the manager on duty, Igzmia, didn't handle it very well. Above all, she was very rude.

We reorganized a shuttle bus to the airport from 7 AM to 7:30 AM and when we went to take the bus we were told it was full.

When I discussed the problem with the manager on duty, Igzmia, she was rude and clearly stressed. When I asked whether the hotel could provide a taxi for us, I was told they could do it, however since the person that took my request to reorganize the bus had already gone home I would have to talk to discuss the matter with later by phone, and my credit card would be charged with the taxi in case he denies our request.
I found the answer unprofessional, but above all, Igzmia was very rude.
I was traveling with my wife and children (very young). At the end they give us a place in the following shuttle, 8 AM, even though, at the start of our conversation Igzmia had said that the next shuttle with places available was 8:30 AM. We had stayed before in HI airport hotels, unfortunately we won't be staying with the chain again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank cnunezre
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying at our hotel and for giving us such a detailed review about your stay. All your points will help us to improve our quality and to make sure guests love our hotel.

I deeply apologize for the miss-behaviour of our staff member. I talked already to the staff member and she has understood that her reaction was not acceptable. She received a warning and if such an incident happens again she will have to leave the hotel.

Again, I am very sorry for this incident and I would appreciate if you could call me to discuss your stay personally (+41-44-8093400/gm@hiexzurich.ch)

Thomas Mettler, GM

Travellers are raving about these Rumlang hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

The location of this hotel has train service to the Zurich hbf within 15 mins. The frequency is about 2 times per hour. Staying at this hotel allowed me to reach the tourist centre or package day tours near to Zurich hbf without much difficulty. I could park my car at the hotel without paying hefty parking cost in Zurich. The breakfast is above typical standard of holiday inn express especially with the selection of hot beverages. However it could be that I am slightly unlucky to be assigned or given a room with faulty ac as a result a change of room is needed in the middle of the night. I appreciate the front desk for helping us to move to another room but would appreciate better if rooms generically do not have these issues. Other than these we also have to understand the expectation of what we are getting for the price we are paying. I do really want to thank the staff there for their good service despite the heavy customer inflow during peak hours. It's not easy and also the amount of man power given for the breakfast, maintaining and refilling the food. The breakfast starts at 4am! Not many hotel does that...

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Danny170000
Holiday Inn Exp... Z, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for staying at our hotel. We are happy that you had such a pleasant stay and that you experienced such helpful and friendly staff at our hotel.
I would appreciate if you could inform me which room number the first room had in which there where challenges with the air con, so that I can check this (gm@hiexzurich.ch).
Thank you for helping us to solve this issue for future guests.

Hope to welcome you soon back again.

MARKHAM
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

The first indication of trouble was on check in. Guests arguing with the staff about rates and internet charges, mostly. They had our reservation information, but at a higher rate than we had booked with Holiday Inn central. Fortunately, my computer had an email confirmation of the reservation; I had to turn it on to show them the rate, at which point they accepted it. I had also been told at the time of reservation that internet was included - it is at Holidays Inns around in the world, particularly in the more civilized countries. The front desk clerk was very proud that here it was NOT - "in Switzerland everything costs". The "free" 30 minute internet voucher lasted 14 minutes of email (not high bandwidth consumption). I purchased 15 minute (lasted 6 minutes) and 60 (lasted 21 minutes) minute vouchers. This last was activated at the front desk where they could verify that it was not providing the purchased time. The staff response: "You can buy another hour".

It is a great pity. The building is modern if somewhat difficult to find. Rooms are well appointed though small. This could be a great airport hotel if the management and the staff has the slightest respect for the paying guest. The staff seemed to take pride in their rudeness, They seemed to argue with almost everyone checking in or out.

The 2 final images for this hotel are quite telling: 1. Two guests trying to speak to the manager chasing him through the lobby, and 2. a bowl of small Swiss chocolates labeled "thank you to our guests" hidden behind and below the counter where nobody could access them.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying at our property and for giving us such a detailed review of your stay.
We are very sorry that you experienced a couple of unsatisfying issues and I would like to apologize for the confusing check-in at the beginning of your stay.
Unfortunately, most of the hotels in Zurich and in Switzerland do not offer internet free of charge. Our hotel offers every guest staying at the hotel 30 minutes free internet to check their emails and to print boarding passes. Afterwards we offer very moderate prices for the internet vouchers which you can purchase at our front-desk, compared to most of the other hotels. At the moment all our Priority Club Platium and Gold members receive free internet. From 1st January on also our Club/Basic members will receive free internet during their stay. I recommend that you enrol and take part in the IHG Loyality System so that next time you can profit from this deal. If you need any assistance with the enrolment, please let me know. There must have been a misunderstanding with the front-office clerk - we apologize once more for this language problem.
Unfortunately we cannot do anything about the size of the rooms since all Holiday Inn Express Hotels have the same size and this is a brand standard.
The Swiss Choclate which you have seen behind the bar is for our "small guests (children)".
I would really appreciate if you could contact me via mail (gm@hiexzurich.ch) or via phone (+41-44-8093400) so that you could give me more information about your stay.
Again we apologize for any inconveniences caused. Thank you for your understanding.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

Passing through Zurich and stayed at this hotel. Very well appointed, modern, sleek and clean. Great rooms and there was a free airport shuttle. It's just 5 minutes from the railway station (7fr/person to get to Zurich Central station as opposed to a 60fr taxi ride) and I found it to be a great transit hotel for anyone passing through the airport.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Holiday Inn Exp... Z, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear Neil

Thank you for your wonderful review and we are very happy that you enjoyed your stay so much at our Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Regards
Thomas Mettler, GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rumlang
Park Inn by Radisson Zurich Airport
Hilton Zurich Airport
Hilton Zurich Airport
#4 of 10 in Opfikon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,819 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport? Share your experiences!