“Great little gem”

Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in Willington
Price range: US$10 - US$24
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: In the heart of Willington village backing on to the Trent and Mersey canal, the dragon is the area's favourite destination for diners, drinkers, walkers and boaters alike. the dragon, is a 150 year old pub with character, charm and a warm welcome and has recently been sympathetically renovated and restored. The introduction of our new beer garden at the back of the dragon, on the edge of the canal, is a big hit with locals and visitors. There is nowhere quite like it on a sunny afternoon. Awarded the "Best Out Town" Pub/Restaurant in Derby the menu is a classic mix of traditional britsh cuisine with a tist of quality that will not disappoint. A large range of cask ales, fine wine and thirst quenching lagers will ensure your visit will be one to remember.
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Came across this little Gem of a pub/restaurant at 9pm in the evening, and I must say it must be our best find ever. We hadn't booked and it was a Friday night. It was very busy but they found us a table. Food was great, and I don't often say that. I'm currently on a diet so had to find something that fitted in with my diet plan. I had the Thai salmon, wasn't sure that this was going to work but it was lovely, a piece of beautifully cooked salmon on the top of a bed of rice with a noodle salad wrapped in a banana leaf. Very very tasty. Would have liked more of the Thai noodle salad and the sauce, but it was delicious and kept me on the straight and narrow. My partner had a chicken suet pie & mash and veg. He was very impressed, the suet was very light.
Great food, you can sit by the river, watch the boats, listen to a band - lovely night and the quality of the food was still high even when we were late and they were still so busy. Thank you for making our evening so pleasant. P.S. The staff were friendly and polite.

2  Thank Margaret M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,892)

Reviewed 29 June 2014

This is my local and I love it. Pat and Heidi have done a tremendous job here. Warm hospitality, good pub grub and a great pint...... the truth is its that its so good I am not sure I am ready to share it with this many visitors :-)
Joking aside - come and see for yourself. The new look and feel is fantastic and the staff are well trained / attentive. You'll do well to find a better local.
Great beer garden by the canal
Great décor
Lovely food
Super staff
................. keep up the great work team.

1  Thank David S
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My friend started her hen party at The Dragon last night (Saturday) at 5 oclock, we had the court yard reserved which was lovely as we had it all to ourselves, we had canapes and some lovely buffet food brought out to us, the puddings were to die for! the waitress who looked after us was lovely, she was polite, friendly and couldn't of done enough to help make our night special, as were all of the waitresses who served us, she even reserved a space in the bar for us when it started to get chilly. We didn't stay there as we had a mini bus booked to take us in to Derby but all in all it was a brilliant start to our night!

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We arrived when they were busy but we were fitted in without being made to feel a nuisance.
Service was good and the maître d' was clearly in control.
A good choice of basic pub grub done in a good kitchen.
No complaints, but on a previous occasion the drinks were a while coming.
We will be back.

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Our first time at the dragon and it was heaving. We were worried they would take their time and be rushed off their feet. We shouldn't have worried as the waitress seated us, a waiter came took our drinks order while we looked at the menu and then another waiter came and took our food order there was staff everywhere. This didn't take too much time. The place was fully booked. It was a bit chilly so I left my coat on. The waiter saw this and shut the window! So kind and thoughtful. There was a family having dinner they had their dog under the table but was very well behaved.
When our food came, piping hot it was fabulous we had the cambenbert starter which was for 2 and filling. The main was the trio of meats, pork, lam and beef from our neighbour at Glebe farm. They had made it into a little garden on the plate! Very stylish. Yummy too even a pile of soil!! Got to be tried!!
No room for a pudd but I'm sure they would have been just as tasty. Highly recommend the dragon staff and place lovely, decor lovely and trendy. Well done we'll be back armed with friends!! Xx

1  Thank jan22red