People should note that there are two properties of Mr. Narsing Village Resort one called the Annex and the other known as the Main Resort and both are about 2 kilometres from each other. So be specific where you want to stay. The resort is located about 3 kilometres from Ravangla town which lies between Pelling and Gangtok. To access the Annex one has to take a turn from the main road little before the Main Resort if one is travelling towards Ravangla from Bagdogra and climb up about 1.5 kms of steep wet (as it had rained) pebbled road to reach the Annex. As one takes this road, it makes one wonder how can a vehicle go up this steep narrow pebbled road with one steep turn and as it was late evening it was darkness all around with no lights around except the car lights. It was a relief when we reached the resort. And as it was raining it was very cold. But one realises the beauty of the place during daytime as on one side of the plateau lies the valley and beyond which lies the peaks and on the other side the mountains. It is a very beautifully scenic serene place.
About the resort – The resort is located on a small plateau which on one side overlooks the Rangit valley and beyond which lies various mountain peaks and the on the other side is a forested mountain slope. There are cottages on the left side of the plateau and some of the cottages have the view of the valley and the peaks. There are also cottages on the slopes of the mountain which face the peaks. The big elegant wooden dining room is located near the entrance. The cottages are basic but carpeted with two lovely and comfortable log cots. Each bed had a rug which was a necessity given the cold even though it was April. Each room is also provided with a heater which one as to keep it on for all times given the cold. As it used to rain in the evenings, it would have been impossible without the heater. The bathroom was clean and was provided with a hot water geyser which one could use anytime. But to warm the water the geyser has to be switched on atleast 30 minutes prior for one bucket of warm water and then the cycle starts again for heating the water. On being asked for two extra rugs, we were told that only 1 can be provided as they do not have extra rugs and the others rugs are for other cottages even though they have only 2 other guests. This was quite strange but the room heater saved the day rather the night for us. Each cottage has a sit out in the front with a small garden and rest of the open space of the plateau was turned into a lawn. But the valley view cottages have two sit outs one facing the mountain and the other facing the valley and the peaks. On clear nights one can see the giant statue of the Buddha in the Buddha Park which is located in the Ravangla town. The resort is a bit isolated as apart from some houses on the steep approach road there is nothing around. Thought the main road had some houses and that small eating joint but to go to Ravangla town, a vehicle is required.
They have a very basic sit out made of logs in the lawn overlooking the valley and various peaks. It is a great place to unwind with a big mug of hot coffee/tea and looking at the peaks and soaking in the atmosphere with birds songs all around. One feels lost sitting on this log and gazing at the majestic peaks.
About the people - Mr. Karma, the owner of the Resort was very helpful on the phone for providing lots of clarification. The resort had minimum staff of about 5 people plus the Manager. The Manager is quite talkative and is as good source for providing stories/anecdotes of various guests.
Food – The meals were simple and tasty. Breakfast consist of local naan and chick pea curry on one day and bread with eggs on the next. One day for dinner we were provided rotis, chicken curry, dal, sweet and rice and the next day it was chicken momos which were the best I ever had. The cook earlier used to work as a cook with Sikkim Tourism Board and was plucked out of his retirement by the owner of the Resort. They serve hot tea/coffee early morning at the cottage. But strangely on the night we reach our request for milk tea was refused but were offered black tea which was a disappointment. This is a small thing which goes a long way in ensuring good services to the guests. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are at fixed timings and they do provide the same in the cottages if a guest desires.
Tariff – The tariff could have been a bit less given the simple cottages and simple food. I guess the charges are a bit high given the fact there are no other option for food and stay nearby. The Annex is far better than the Main Resort.
Misc. – (1) From this resort we made a sightseeing trip at a leisurely place in which we covered the Chardham located in Namchi, Temi Tea Garden, Buddha Park and the Samdruptse Statue which is located enroute to Namchi. There are one or two monasteries nearby but we gave them a miss. The Resort does arrange for a vehicle for sight seeing.
(2) It took us about 6 hours to travel from Bagdogra airport. As one nears Ravangla, do ask for directions as you can drive past the small uphill road without noticing the resort’s board. We learnt that many drivers are not aware of this resort. But do ask the resort guys the name of a road side restaurant which is located just opposite to the uphill road.
(3) This is a good place for those interested in birding. Bird songs wakes you up early in the morning and there is a lot of birding activity on the road which is just behind the cottages. Also they can help in birding excursion up the hill.
(4) On a clear day various peaks can be seen. We were lucky as on the day of our departure we saw the peaks that too only for half an hour before it was enveloped in mist.
(5) If it rains then while moving around stick to the paths and not the bushes/shrubs as there are leeches.
(6) There are no TV in the rooms but they have one in the restaurant. One can go for walks but the climb up the steep approach road would be tiring.
(7) They do not allow drivers to stay in the hotel. So your driver has to make arrangement in the nearby town.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Mt. Narsing Village Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.