Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Beautiful, But not so great water pressure...”

Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Anse Marcel
Reviewed 23 April 2014

The hotel is beautiful, the staff is wonderful, the pool and the beach are really fun, but there is one catch that would seem to be the smallest thing, but it isn't - the water pressure in the showers. It took me almost five minutes to get a simple squirt of conditioner out of my hair! the resort is otherwise awesome, so this was a dissapointment. The staff is awesome. When we requested a new room, they excepted in stride. when you first drive up, you are greated by a towering white building with long blue and white curtains. Then you are welcomed by a staff member, and told your room number. Then you would hop in a golf cart (yes, I really did say a golf cart) and drive to your room. this is the only time that you go in the golf court (much dissapointment to the children in our group:)) so savor it! The breakfast buffet is really good escpecially the omlettes. everything is great besides the water pressure in the showers, and did I mention we killed about five mosqitos in our room in about an hour? too bad, because the rest of the resort was utterly amazing.

Room Tip: ask for an upstairs room, they may have better views. Also, if you are not happy with your room or s...
1  Thank BelugaGirl

Reviewed 23 April 2014

The pool is lovely and the beach location is spectacular. Couldn't have been happier from that perspective. We also liked the international flavor of our fellow travelers. It made it feel like we really were getting away. The room left a bit to be desired. Not uncomfortable or unclean just nothing special. Same with interior corridors where rooms are located. And elevator was downright "yucky" --- They really need to instruct their bellmen to send guests via the stairs if they are able and meet the guests at their rooms. This was the WORST first impression of the place ever.
Other then the concierges who were quite helpful, I found the service disappointing. During our visit there always a line at least 2 deep at the concierge desk - the hotel should staff more during busy times. Often a line at breakfast too. Staff just seemed disorganized and unsure of what they were doing, but were great at making excuses. I was extremely disappointed with what was supposed to be our "special dinner" at Le C restaurant. Service was poor. Practically had to beg for water. Extremely disorganized.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

This was our 5th visit at this hotel and each time it has just gotten better and better. The staff is terrific and really add to the experience. They exude a great deal of patience with some pretty demanding people from what we saw. The Radisson Blu is an excellent family vacation spot. I would recommend going before the sale takes place this June if you can! All inclusive I think will hurt much of the charm - ie being able to walk across the street to Calypso for pizza with the kids while we had well priced red Burgundy with steaks and sauce roquefort! Also, it was so nice to take a cab into Grand Case to dine at some great spot there (Tastevin is outstanding!).

Room Tip: Marina Suites are VERY worth the added expense. We liked the lower level suites as it was easy to b...
1  Thank westmanager
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I just returned from a wonderful trip to Saint Martin with my family. We loved this resort, it was perfect for our needs - beautiful scenery and landscaping, quiet atmosphere, huge pool with plenty of chairs and umbrellas surrounding it, full European style buffet breakfast with something for everyone, great coffee (Nespresso maker in room as well as the French-press coffee served tableside at breakfast), good lunch options at the beach bar such as panninis and wraps made to order.

The grounds are fairly spread out so there's enough space to explore and check out the different areas including the Marina and a few small shops. We ate at the Marina restaurants each night and they were fine (Da Tony's, Victoria's, Calipso). We thought they had personality, more so than the buffet options at the resort.

For those who want active pursuits, there's a nice fitness center and you can hike to the nature preserve for a walk or run on the trail. Swimming at the beach was also very nice and it was great to do laps in the enclosed area. The resort offers a morning power walk and a late morning workout session and a pool tournament (ie., volleyball or basketball) each day free of charge which was a nice touch.

Much of the clientele is French which gave a nice European atmosphere. There are 2 shops to buy provisions including wine, beer, spirits and snacks - one by reception and one in the marina. You can also rent a car at the Hertz stand in the reception area which is a good idea to see more of the island. Our car only cost us 40 Euros for 24 hours and we took our kids to Loterie Farm which includes a rope course and zip line as well as a very nice, tree top restaurant which is lovely for lunch. We also went into Grand Case which was cute but not much to do except go out to eat.

We stayed in a Marina suite which was perfect for our family of four. The rooms were clean and bright and it was nice to have our own balconies. We were on the upper level and the beds were so comfortable and it was very quiet - we all slept so well each night.

All in all, I thought this was a superb resort and I would highly recommend it for families as well as couples. Several families brought inflatable float toys for their kids which provided lots of entertainment throughout the day. The towel hut at the pool also supplies some pool toys.

Room Tip: Marina Suites, 2nd level is your best bet!
1  Thank JenKB68
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Raddison Blu, once again this month. I have returned here many times.
This is a lovely, clean, well maintained hotel, with the people that work here, making it this way!
It saddens me to think , that this hotel might become an all inclusive, owned by Riu, BUT, I certainly hope that the new owners realize that the hard working, loyal, kind employees make this place as exceptional as it is. From the moment you walk in, Janelle, Christian , Claude are there to help make your stay a pleasant one. Maline, jiveny, Frances. Regis, Patricio , sunshine, Francesca. They genuinely care for the each and every person who is staying at the Raddison. They take initiative, are helpful and above all make you feel safe and comfortable. Ingrid, who has always been so helpful with reservations. I hope this new company will recognize the importance of keeping these employees so that this hotel can remain the wonderful place it is.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Percyb01
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My Family and I stayed at this property a week ago, we can only say that we had a great and very pleasant stay. From the moment we arrived we were always treated very courteously, the fact of being an elite member of Club Carlson helped on an enhanced experience by getting a room upgrade does not put aside how beautiful the property is and how great all the staff is. The resort may be secluded but for us it was perfect, Anse Marcel is really pretty and we had the relaxing experience we were looking for.
We are very grateful to everybody at the resort who made our stay a true dream vacation.

3  Thank spoke77
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This past January my wife & I went for a getaway vacation after the Christmas season (she's in retail) to St. Martin, with a one-day trip over to St. Barth's. Our trip TO St. Martin was fraught with peril, as we had to stop-start our trip 3 separate times, just trying to get out of Texas first... then out of Miami, later on. Problem was all that snow and horrendous weather the airlines were having to deal with in the north and New England. What we eneded up with was that our week's reservation at Grand Case Beach Club was "supposed" to be from the 4th of Jan. through the 11th... but we didn't even manage to get TO St. Martin until the 6th. We were able to get a day's extension at GCBC (those people there are awesome, great place to stay), but we wanted one more night on St. Martin before returning to the real world.

So, off to Booking.com we went, to find who, meaning which hotel, had availability.

As it happens, St. Martin's high season sort of spans November into January, apparently. Which is why we couldn't easily extend the single day at GCBC, so the nifty tool which shows availability on Booking.com works well. It worked for us, locating a couple places to choose from on St. Martin. The most attractive location for us was the Radisson Blue, as it was just down the road a couple of miles from Grand Case, and in the direction of Orient Beach, where we like to hang out during the sunny days. So, Radisson Blue it was, despite the $430/night price tag. Turns out, we might have done better opting to go elsewhere.

The drive to the RB is interesting, lightly-challenging uphill road with cutbacks which would have been horrendous to drive if we'd not had our one-day outing to St. Barth's a mere 3 days earlier. The grade is perhaps 1-15%, with a switchback that seems exciting, and easily could be if someone was coming down while you were trying to go up.

Arriving at the Radisson Blue was like arriving at pretty much any Radisson property. It's pretty, lots of marble, well-manicured greenery, like that. The nod to island's temperate climate was that the lobby was open to the outside in a few directions, I assume that the doors simply recede into the walls to stay out of sight when not needed, as it was in January.

Our room was "Generic Motel Room," version 2.7, not the beta. There you go, perfect description. King size bed was comfortable enough, and that's good. It had a Nespresso machine if you are into that. TV worked, standard selection of International TV channels piped in. Colors were muted, boring, generic non-threatening, unexciting. Like I said, Generic Motel Room. The bathroom was big, almost too big, like the space was wasted. Say 7 feet of counter space - which is good. But, along a 13-foot wall, which was not. Likewise, on the perpendicular was the shower, roomy, which was good - again, along a long wall, resulting in a lot of dead space, which is not. The bathroom had ... let's see... 7x7 is 49, so probably 50 sq feet which was just "there" and no use for it, unless you needed a spot to park a small car. Like I said, sort of strange design. Could have used that space in the generic Motel 6 design hotel room outside the bathroom and done something cool with it. I don't know why they didn't, if it was at seemed it was... that every room on the same side of the floor, and up an down the floors, would be identically arranged.

Did I mention that this place is $430 a night? Thought I'd point that out.

Anyway, outside, the grounds are very pretty, the pool is quite full of awesomeness. Kids running and screaming, and good for them, having a good time. Doesn't stop me from having my adult libation by the pool, which was made quite well, server in a good mood, and quite skilled as well. Music around the pool area was both generic massage appointment stuff, or your average Buddhist mix, but played so low you couldn't really hear it, so that was fine. The view from the pool area is really, really great, have to give it that. It's worth driving up there to see the view, even if you don't want to stay here.

Food: Well.... let me say this. I've no idea. We went to get an evening meal at the Italian restaurant on-site, went inside, and started scanning the menu for what looked appetizing. Quite a few things did, too. So, we chatted while we waited on a server to come by. Kept chatting as the hostess who had sat us walked by a couple more times, seating another couple. Saw a couple of the waitstaff walking around in that aimless way that everyone can recognize is that of a person who doesn't really want to have to do anything but does want to get paid, you know the type. I check the all-powerful iPhone, and it tells me that it's been about 11 minutes since we left our room. I have a weird habit of checking the time when I leave somewhere, don't ask. So, 11 minutess give it 3 minutes to walk out, 1, maybe 2 to get to the restaurant, so we've been there for only, and probably less than, 5 minutes. No problem. I start trying to figure out what the sort of familiar song is playing, a converted pop track converted to massage appointment Muzak, determine it is Sinead O'Connor's Nothing Compares to You, and feel gratified by my own memory bank. Joke with wife about hanging out at the nude beach earlier, reach for my drink to cool the thirst... and... nothing is there. "Hmm," I think, still distracted by the story my wife was relating to me of what Willie (Wilamena) the bartnder at the Perch had told her when she was getting me a Rum-runner and the guy from Brazil was complimenting me on the view of my wife from behind - so I distracted my wife from her story with the brief tangent of my own, and then back to her story.... anyway, you get the point. The next time I check the time it's been 19 minutes since we left the room, which means - doing math - it's been 7 more minutes since we sat down. No drink, no water... shoot, no server at all. At this point I start to look around obviously, and my wife, catching the signs, says, "It really has been a while, hasn't it... let's just go. We can get to Grand cCase and be eating there in less than 10 minutes." So we did. That's what I experienced at the Radisoon Blue's Italian restaurant. Not much. And yes, I know about island time, but still. $430 a night?

So, there you have it. We went, because we thought we had to and were making a good decision about location. That part WAS good, don't get me wrong. It's smack in the area we want to be in on St. Martin. But, our room was generic, cost too much, and the food service was literally non-existent from our point of view. Pretty place though. And, the below reviews are right about the service level of the desk folks, they were efficient, and great.

Room Tip: No view at all on 1st floor, so go up. Higher the better, I think.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
#5 of 8 in Orient Bay
Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa

Been to Hotel Riu Palace St Martin? Share your experiences!