Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Hotel L'Esplanade
#2 of 8 hotels in Grand Case
1 mi
2,370 results
All reviewsradisson blukids clubrent a carmarina suitelunch buffetgrand caseall inclusive resortlobby barst martinnightly entertainmentinfinity poolall inclusivesla mermake reservationssecluded arearecommend this resortbeautiful resort
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 August 2014

My wife and I are well travelled in the Caribbean and in Europe. To me the island of St. Martin is a very congested island, car, bars and people and junk!

Driving from the airport on the Dutch side to Anse Marcel Bay on the French side disappointed me, until you go down the little mountain into Anse Marcel Bay to the RIU Palace Hotel.

Its beautifully lush and tropical, private, guiet and clean, with a beach that is gorgeous, not to large or crowded with a mirror like calm water in a protected bay.

The staff there are warm and sincerely friendly. In particular one of the main desk staff "Alain" was so helpful to us in organizing day trips signing out, etc.

At the time we were there this hotel was in transition and only offered breakfast as included in the price. Breakfast was excellent and again the staff were very attentive to our needs

My wife and I have stayed in numerous 5 star hotels in the Caribbean and this hotel is definetely NOT A FIVE STAR HOTEL. (4 star is more realistic). It has the potential to be a 5 star hotel and hopefully when it goes all inclusive in November 2014, the RIU chain will have stepped it up to a real 5 star rating.

The reason it is not a real 5 star hotel is simply this: lack of restaraunts on the property (they have 2), lack of swimming pools (they have 1), no swim up bar, lack of nightly entertainment (0), lack of day activities on the resort. 1 boutique to shop at etc. If you do not rent a car at this resort you will not leave it unless you want to spend a small fortune in taxi fares to climb the small mountain you are at the foot of. We rented a car for the week and it was a really good idea. It was $200.00 for the week, we drove the entire island, ate out every night in Grand Case, drove to Marigot, Philipsburg etc.
We did 2 side trips to St. Barths and a second one to Prickly Pear Island snorkelling.

We loved this vaction because of the privacy, perfect beach and calm water with excellent staff that have really good people skills.

To the RIU chain: we have been to your other RIU Resorts (and to the Bia Principe chain)
and you know you have a long way to go to bring this hotel up to your 5 star standards.

Dave and Lidija CRAGHILL
Toronto Canada

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
32  Thank dave c
Reviewed 16 August 2014

**Skip to the last paragraph if you don't want to read a long, in-depth review, lol.

My boyfriend and I just got back a couple days ago from our stay at RIU Place (apparently, formerly a Radisson hotel) and overall it was a great getaway. We had never stayed there before, so I can't comment on how it compares under new management.

We rented a car at SXM Airport after doing research online and seeing that people recommended to do that, especially because of this hotel's location, and I will agree. According to other reviews, Taxi prices are outrageous and for 6 days renting the car, it was only about $120 USD. It was easy to follow a map and road signs to RIU. The hotel is nestled away from the rest of the island in a cove on the other side of large hills, which gives the feeling of safety and seclusion.

Upon arrival at RIU, we were not greeted by anyone. We went inside to check-in, everyone was pleasant, but directed us to where we could park and did not offer to take our luggage up for us. Not sure if this was because it was off-season but it definitely worried me, and I wondered if we had made the wrong decision by choosing this hotel. We settled into our 3rd floor garden view room (1306# and we were very happy with the location and view #there are no beach front rooms#. The room was spacious but ordinary, but the bathroom looked as though it was recently remodeled and was very nice. The bed was a SleepNumber bed, we didn't love it as no matter what the setting it seemed hard, but it sufficed. The room was comfortable and inviting, had a huge balcony, and suited our needs. Wifi was free and reached out to the pool and beach, which was very nice.

The pool and beach are just lovely. The pool is huge and even though there were a fair amount of kids there, there was more than enough room for everyone to enjoy themselves. The beach is located in a little cove and therefore there were very little waves. It was beautiful, and a very refreshing temperature. We loved spending our days out there. It was easy to find a lounge chair no matter what time of day. There was also drink service on the beach.

The real gem of the hotel was their food and entertainment. Every morning 7-10:30 was an AMAZING buffet breakfast with everything you could possibly want. As others mentioned, the French Press coffee was a nice touch. Everything was just fantastic. They also have theme nights, we went to their Sunday night dinner with live music and it was absolutely exquisite. We skipped their International dinner night because we had already eaten, but the menu looked very good. Then the day we left they were having Creole food night, which I so desperately wanted to try! I wish we could've stayed another night! They also had dancing at the beach bar with live music on Wednesday evenings, it was the perfect last night for us... so much fun. My ONLY complaint, and it is very minor, is they only offer one light thing to eat during the day on the menu, and it's a cheese platter. I wish they had more options of light appetizers for when you're nibbly while swimming but don't want to eat a meal.

Although the location is secluded, there are two other smaller hotels nearby and a few restaurants. We tried the Calypso and the Italian restaurant across the street from RIU and both were great.

One thing that I enjoyed was there were not many Americans at the hotel, we only met a few during our stay. Everyone else was from Europe, mostly France. I wanted to stay on the French side of the island because I love French culture. From the baguettes in the morning to the French language being heard around us, we loved it. All employees spoke both French and English.

If you'd like a low-key, restful vacation, this hotel fits the bill. It may not be as posh as some other hotels, but it makes up for it in plenty of other ways. You don't even have to leave the grounds! We only left for one day to see Marigot and go ziplining in Loterie Farms. The gym was nice and had lots of high-end equipment to choose from. The TV had plenty of channels. The staff was lovely. Beach was gorgeous. Food was exceptional. As long as you don't expect the Ritz (which I kind of did at first), you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: The garden view is a great location, close to everything on the grounds. When we were there, there was loud construction going on next to the Marina suites. (August 2014) Buy your own water/sodas at the huge supermarket on the way to the hotel, you can't miss it. It is SO cheap! Get a rental car.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
18  Thank Molly V
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

First Caribbean vacation I can say my family and I will return twice. We have stayed at beautiful resorts all overt Mexico and the islands and St Martin and the Riu Palace is now the top of our list.

Hotel was just changed to Riu in June 2014. No actual changes have been made yet. There is construction going on but it's barely noticeable.

Breakfast is included and always delish. Many many options.

Dinner in the hotel is decent. The regular menu is better than the "buffet" nights they do.

There are two small outdoor restaurants near the lobby entrance. Walkable and very good food. Decent prices.

Highly recommend to rent a car. From the airport seemed cheaper than from the hotel. It's best to drive yourself around for activities and for other areas to explore and restaurants to eat at.

The rooms are great. Fairly new. Sleep number beds. Showers are only half enclosed half open so the water will flood the floor. The outlets are French so don't bother bringing an American straightener or curling iron. They do provide an outlet converter for your cell phone and camera chargers. There are no beach view rooms. Only garden view. The property is very well kept and beautiful. Anse Marcel is by far the best location on the island. The beach is good - great sand, calm water, gorgeous mountains to the left, right and behind you.

I would highly recommend choosing the Riu for your stay in St Martin. My pictures will say a lot!

Stayed: August 2014
11  Thank Kiwi8021
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My wife and I stayed in the Riu Palace St. Martin from 8 July 2014 until 18 July. I had a deposit of 349.44 Euros taken out of my bank account by the hotel's then-owner Radisson when I made the reservation in May. Since the hotel was taken over by Riu shortly after, I had concerns about this deposit possibly being lost. I was contacted by Ingrid Mathurin, reservation manager of the Riu Palace St. Martin a few days before we arrived. She assured me that my deposit was not lost and would be applied against against any additional charges during my stay. (I had already prepaid $1980.00 to Riu for the room cost of our 10-day stay.) This is not what happened. We incurred 585.16 Euros in additional charges while we were there; Riu took the entire amount out of my bank account without applying the 349.44 Euro credit I had with them. Since they didn't use this credit, they owe me a refund in this amount. I have contacted Ms. Mathurin twice via email and have had no response from her or anyone else at the Riu Palace St. Martin. I sent a message through Riu's website but have not heard from them either. If there is no response by next week, I'm handing the matter to my attorney.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Ray W
Reviewed 7 August 2014

First of all, you must know that the first 900 reviews for this hotel refer to the Radisson Blue Anse Marcel and not the RIU Palace St Martin.
The Radisson Blue was purchased by RIU June 1, 2014.
It is anomalous that Tripadvisor suggests that 800 positive ratings are for the RIU Palace.
I sent them an email about it ... but no response ...

I went two times in the Radisson Blue Anse Marcel and my opinion was positive, not perfect but clearly positive.

We made ​​a reservation for the Radisson before June and no one warned us of the change of ownership or the quality of services.

Between RIU and Radisson, it remains only the paradise hotel park vegetation and the Anse Marcel.
The staff is generally very friendly (however you have to accept the islands style) except the two new directors who are incompetent, rude and unsympathetic and do not care about customers.
We see and hear from the staff is tired of the decline of quality and means as well as the incompetent direction.
We spoke with several families and couples of regulars and they will not put again the feet at this hotel

It should already avoid this place until November or later: we were treated to three weeks of jackhammer (20m of the pool) with the work continued until sometimes 8:45 p.m. (20m of the restaurant) including Sundays.

I'll start with the two new Directors ... totally unacceptable (that is thanks to them that my assessment goes to poor)
There is one who refuses to see its clients ... when he is forced to come down from his office, he then rough with his staff and said they have to solve the problems by themselves and he does not want to be disturbed ... And when spoken it is clear that what he thinks is "But f..k you dear customer you can talk, I do not care what you say ..."

The second is a "nice little Director" who clearly has no the skills... he's afraid of customers and has no "commercial"manners: at lunch, he cuts client priority in front of the plate stack and says nothing...not even a hello (which may seem a detail but it shows the standard of the hotel Riu PALACE).

The pool was completely degraded: hole in the bottom, faience removed over large areas.
A animal poop remained on the way to the pool several days before disappearing while Directors took this way several times a day

The room is quiet and comfortable, clean with a good mattress. There aren't any more minibar, Nespresso machine will certainly disappear when the stock of capsule will be spent. Color retouch on the wall is made with a slightly different color (Riu PALACE) ...

regarding until November (after it's all inclusive):
Lunch has improved, fresh fruit cut in the breakfast room, French loaf better cooked, dishes offered a little warmer.
But, contrariwise, there has less attention with the cleaning: At the breakfast, I had twice dirty plates (a huge chewing-gum stuck under the plate and another day a big fat crust under the base) and once, the table was set with a napkin stained by coffee.

For buffets: good quality products but often annealed and dry because of the buffet.

For speaking with staff, it is clearly expected a decrease in the quality of products, wines and spirits proposed when the hotel will go to "all inclusive" in November

The quality of the spa is always excellent ... very friendly and knowledgeable.

To conclude: this is no longer the Radisson (which was already not a Great Radisson) and this RIU has nothing of a Palace ...
Managers should go to the dictionary to learn about Palace definition ...

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family