“Serene”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Utuado
Casa Grande Mountain Retreat
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Utuado
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Beautiful, away from the crowds and relaxing. No television, lovely pool, good food, friendly staff and beautiful hiking right from the retreat. They only serve breakfast and dinner so it's a good idea to bring a small ice chest for snacks. We brought our own bottle of wine but they charged a corkage fee so bring your own opener. The deck at our room was private, with a couple chairs and hammock. Beautiful view of the rainforest. Follow the directions that they give you on their website. We tried to use GPS at first and got very lost.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice. There is a small road below the retreat and you may hear cars every now and...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CarolB1962
Founder-Director, Owner at Casa Grande Mountain Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Thank you for your review. It always feels rewarding to receive a 5 rating in all six categories.

The corkage fee is the customary restuarant charge imposed when a guest chooses to bring their own bottle of wine to enjoy with their meal.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I went to Casa Grande with the intent to go to a place where I could just connect to GOD, my own inner being with no distractions of everyday life you see I come from a the city that never sleeps (NYC) . I got all of this and so much more. The staff at the casa Blanca are my family...they make you feel like this, the authenticity and care is superb. The meals that the kitchen disrupts are wonderful, the yoga classes are delightful, the coffee is magnificent and has converted a tea drinker like me. I check out of this hotel with a happy heart and fully aligned to what matters most to me. Thank you to Jose for being so knowledgable on the land and giving me a better appreciation of culture, Yevvy and Yaritza for being so accommodating that it felt as if I was dining with family, Janet for being so warm checking us in and out, and Vita and Steven for bringing forth a side of Yoga I hadn't know before. Thanks for such a profound stay for my mothers 60th birthday.
With gratitude,
Samantha Wren.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Joyful82587
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This was as advertised, serene and beautiful. Lovely setting, good food, friendly staff. It is a yoga retreat and my only comment would be that a group of 15 or so yoga devotees arrived on our second day which changed the tone somewhat. I would still recommend it as a lovely getaway for a few days.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sharonrpatt

We thank you for your review and are glad you enjoyed your visit. Although yoga teachers sometimes bring their students here for vacations or trainings, we do not consider Casa Grande to be a yoga retreat. However, we do offer morning yoga classes which are enjoyed by many of our guests.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

I wanted a place away from the hustle and bustle where I could decompress, breath in some fresh air, see lots of green and sleep in but still have access to a few day trips. Casa Grande did not disappoint. No, this is not San Juan or a place for clubbing, playing pool, or dancing....you can go to San Juan for that. Casa Grande provides a quaint, simple, ample clean room with access to tasty well priced dishes and good service by some very kind people. You will need a car to go anywhere, as is the case with most of the island. We had a late breakfast, and then took off every day (see their website or others posts for ideas) came back to rest (my mom is 87!) showered and had dinner. My brother brought his camera equipment, woke up early in the morning and enjoyed taking photos of the misty mountains. Sometimes we were right in the middle of the clouds! We brought wine with us for late night chats and family catch up across the two rooms we rented. We stayed for three nights. Very lovely.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank MayaguezanaPR
Founder-Director, Owner at Casa Grande Mountain Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

We're always disappointed when our guest's expectations are not met.

The large majority of our clientele enjoy eating at Casa Grande. We recently installed sound insulation in the walls between the guest rooms which has significantly reduced the amount of noise from neighbors. Besides the freshwater swimming pool there is a lovely hiking trail that meanders up the forest hillside. There's also morning yoga class and massage therapy available by appointment. There are a bunch of board games available at the front desk without charge and a small library in the bar area with books from here and there and current magazines as well. At $126 per night our rates are in the low to moderate range. The retreat is in a rural setting not suited to all travelers.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

My husband and I stayed 3 days at the Casa Grande while on a 10 day vacation to Puerto Rico this past October. I have to say, we both keep referring back to the relaxing, tranquil time we had at this mountain retreat. I daydream now about swinging in the hammock right outside your doorway reading a book and gazing out on the beautiful grounds. We also explored some of the trails on the property and made our way down to downtown Utuado for lunch or supplies (visit the Dreams Cafe for really great coffee and sandwiches!) We dined every night on property and always enjoyed our meals. We are a young, down to earth couple so this was the perfect location for us but if you are overly particular, need to have a television in your room, or like a night out on the town, this might not be the place for you. If you are looking for a place to relax -- come here. I really hope we can return soon!

Room Tip: I really can't see there being a bad room -- everywhere on the property is beautiful!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Blahmonstergirl
Founder-Director, Owner at Casa Grande Mountain Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

We're delighted you still hold the fond memories of your visit five months ago. Until next time.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Our family (two children ages 6 and 8) stayed for three nights in February. Overall, it was a lovely experience, and I would go back. I got the sense that children were welcome, which is not always the case with hotels that emphasize quiet and tranquility. The rooms are probably the weakest link of the experience. They were very serviceable and clean, but a bit dark. An extra lamp or two would go a long way to making the rooms brighter and so that you actually could see. The walls, as others have noted, are thin, and the nights can get pretty cool. We were packed for Puerto Rico heat, and ended up sleeping in sweatshirts and socks to stay warm. As far as I could tell, there were no blankets in the room. No hair conditioner provided either, and no blow dryer (which is understandable given the thin walls). Still, it's not the kind of place you go to for the fancy room. The surroundings are absolutely gorgeous, and it was a lovely place to stay for a few days to unwind and enjoy the forest.

Staff were helpful and friendly.

If you do yoga regularly, the class may be a bit underwhelming for you. To be fair, he does say that you can feel free to do your own practice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street. Higher up gets you away from street noise and also better mount...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank seeingtheworld_10

Thank you for the constructive review. We'll consider more lighting for the guest rooms. Each bed has a top sheet, blanket and bedspread but we're glad to provide and additional blanket upon request. The dispenser in the shower has a combination body wash/shampoo.

The morning yoga class is gentle and relaxing and suits the majority of students. The space is sometimes available for one's own practice and the key can be obtained at the front desk.

Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

This is a great place to relax in a hammock on the porch next to your room, watch the clouds pass over the mountains, take a gentle yoga class, and have good healthful food. You can also sit by the spring fed pool or take a hike in the forest. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the owner really cares about the place and the staff. But the birds are loud in the morning.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utuado
32 mi away
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Decanter Hotel
Decanter Hotel
#3 of 48 in San Juan

Been to Casa Grande Mountain Retreat? Share your experiences!