“Going the distance”
Review of Alpha Dive Centre

Alpha Dive Centre
Reviewed 3 July 2014

A couple of friends and I recently did our PADI Open Water Diver certifications at Alpha Dive Centre in Strand.

We had a great experience with excellent service - the staff really came through for us, fitting us into a tight timeline in order to get the qualifications before we leave on vacation. Giving clear and valuable instruction they made you feel safe and comfortable in what was sometimes less than ideal conditions for diving.

During our qualifying dives we dived at different wrecks in Simonstown - nothing as impressive as the SS Thislegrom, but still very exciting for a first and second dive! The water is bit cold, making it a good idea to have fresh water or coffee and a snack handy when you return to shore. Also be warned that it can take a bit longer than you expect (kit out, get to the dive site, do the briefing, dive, post-dive logging, returning from the dive site, returning the equipment and rinsing it). Diving can be a whole day activity, even if you're only in the water for an hour.

The gear used for the qualifying dives is training equipment and has been used a lot, but is still in fairly good condition and definitely safe for diving. I never felt uncomfortable using it, and if you do they'd replace it.

Alpha Dive Centre is also a shop specializing in diving equipment, which means that they sell high quality products. For recreational purposes you'll probably get away cheaper if you purchase a common snorkel, mask and booties from a general store. But if you are serious about the sport they have good gear on offer.

Thanks to what I experienced with them I am now more excited than ever about SCUBA diving, and really looking forward to doing it again!

Reviewed 23 May 2014

The wife and I did an Enriched Air course in preparation for our "live on board" adventure that will take place in the near future. It was the first time that I have met Etienne and the first time I have seen the shop in the Strand, I was impressed with both. Etienne's aura/spirit is very positive and both my wife and I liked him instantly. The shop to gives one a feeling of "been right at home" , it is well stocked and the atmosphere is great. The EANx course itself was informative and Etienne's great sense of humor kept us entertained no end. I think this was the start of a long relationship that the Hurn family is going to have with Alpha Dive Centre. Thank you Etienne.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I was very fortunate to be able to slip away to join Alpha Dive Centre on the trip to Sodwana Bay - expertly arranged by Ettienne and Lynn Raal with no hitches whatsoever. We had comfortable clean accommodation at Sodwana Bay Lodge with good food and service from the staff. Reefteach Sodwana Bay handled our dive charters and went out of their way to ensure we had a great experience – snorkeled with the dolphins, went to the further reefs, saw some sharks, fantastic corals, some new reefs and the camera and rebreathers got some killer shots with the great visibility we had.
Great fun was had by all with many laughs and great fun – Thanks to you all at Alpha Dive Centre – Ettienne, Lynn, Pierre (for seeing all the kit was serviced and ready) and all the staff who made sure the trip was truly memorable. Well done – we do this again soon!!
Rod Dolpire, Somerset West

Reviewed 25 February 2014

ill always live by the words of "there's no point in living if you can't feel alive" going into the unknown seems to cause a heart rate and feeling certain people live for! and thats what alpha dive centre offered me a experience that sticks like glue, well organised, professional service and a bunch off great guys that makes it worth the trip and money!!! my 2 open dives was mindblowing!!!! please visit alpha dive centre for a experience of a live time

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Loved every second of the Padi open water coarse. Damen was great if not for him I probably would not be doing my advance diver coarse. Many Many thanks for all your support and encouragement. Alpha dive Centre is the best. All you need to bring with you is lost of courage and an open mind