“Maybe 5*?”

Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Only stayed overnight here, so not enough time to fully assess FRB but it seemed certainly 4* and maybe 5*. The staff were welcoming and friendly. Great grounds including scenic views, and a small walking trail with a chance to see a few birds. The pool looked an idyllic spot. Good breakfast on a pleasing terrace.
Our "suite" was roomy and included a great funky bathroom, complete with beautifully hand painted Costa Rican birds on the wardrobe!
I would certainly recommend a night or two here. Incidentally if you are flying from the UK, avoid flying via the US if at all possible. They have no concept of "transit", and you can be faced with a unfriendly and tedious few hours. Better to fly direct from Madrid or even via Panama City.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
ElGrandote, Owner at Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear Mike707
Thanks for writing about your stay in the Master Suite. We do indeed have some wonderful staff, who love their jobs and love meeting new people. I know how grueling it can be to fly from the UK to Central America and especially when having to endure an "in transit" layover. But getting to Costa Rica always saves it all, as it is such a beautiful and comfortable country to visit. Next time you will have to stay 4 or 5 days and really take advantage of our activities and our relaxing grounds and atmosphere. Thanks again.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

The Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn just outside San Jose, Costa Rica is a miserable failure if you define a good hotel as one that provides a comfortable, safe place to sleep. That is a shame because the hotel has lovely grounds, a great location, friendly staff and a very good restaurant. But those things do not make up for the lack of a safe, comfortable place to sleep. We stayed in the Las Aves suite at the Finca Rosa Blanca in early April. In contrast to the rooms we saw on their web site which featured sweeping views of the city of San Jose below, our room faced a dark volcanic rock wall. More distressing was the fact that our room faced a well-used walkway with a clear view into our room. (see photo). We had to close the windows and curtains for privacy and security which was a significant problem since the hotel is not air conditioned. The room features a large skylight which is very effective at bathing the room in sunlight. However sunrise in Costa Roca is 5:30 a.m. and there is no way to close off the skylight so you get an automatic 5:30 am wake-up call whether you want it or not. And finally, the shower is unable to maintain a constant water temperature alternating between cold and scalding. Security also concerned us. Other rooms in the hotel are equipped with a professional grade alarm system that must be turned off at the front door using an alarm key. I’ve never seen anything like it at any other hotel. So we were very concerned about sleeping with the windows unlocked for fresh air—even if we chose to risk unwelcome eyes. I shared my concerns with the manager who seemed to feel it was my fault for not asking for a different room at booking. I’ve learned my lesson about the Finca Rosa Blanca and offer this review to others considering a stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: We did not use room service or the fitness center so cannot rate those.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Calistoga Grower
ElGrandote, Owner at Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear Calistoga Grower; Thanks for letting us know how your stay went with us, and I truly sorry your room was not to your liking. The room you were in, Las Aves, does not have a view of the Central Valley below, but has a private garden patio surrounded by beautiful exotic tropical flora and volcanic walls with ferns growing from the cracks. We have a particular group of guests who love this room and ask for it when they return. The skylight does make the room quite bright, but it has special reflective cells that eliminate the heat . As for fresh air, it has a large fan and windows on three sides (I am not quite sure what you meant when you said people can look in, as there are also sheer but breathing drapes that allow the air and light to pass through but one cannot see out or in)
I am also quite sorry that the temperature varied in your shower, we have looked into this and done a thorough cleaning and test of the solar heated water but it has remained constant. This is the first and only time in 25 years we have heard this comment about the water flow so we were alarmed. I am sorry you had to experience that, as i know that it is uncomfortable.
I want to stress that our manager did not feel it was your fault for not asking for another room, but rather was concerned that you had endured this unpleasant experience in that room and would have gladly moved you to another room if he had known. Unfortunately he did not learn about your issues until you were checking out.
Also, the web site has a very detailed an concise floor plan drawing (as do all the rooms) drawn to scale as well as photos showing the room with the skylight and the patio. So again, I am very confused as to why you would say it is not what is shown on the web site. 99% of the comments about our photos from guests are that the photos don;t do the real experience justice.
I hope you will come back and try the hotel again (in a different room) and experience why we have been named the "Best Hotel in Central America" by Conde Naste Traveler's readers.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed at FRB for 4 days in March 2014. Way more pros than cons, but still some things to consider before booking.

Pros: the rooms, grounds, and overall architecture are fabulous--this former ranch has a very interesting layout. The restaurant is above-average and has an outstanding view of San Jose. The coffee tour is excellent and highly recommended (and I don't even drink coffee!), and the service was good (especially the transportation team, who went above and beyond to pick us up from a rafting tour). And we loved the infinity pool.

Cons: Location--I thought the hotel was in the country, but it's basically an enclave in a northern suburb of the city. Nothing necessarily wrong with that; just not my expectation. We also didn't venture out into the neighborhood on foot so we felt a little trapped on site. And the staff needs more training on tours that FRB does not sponsor (see my review of the Pacuare River rafting tour).

In summary, I don't regret staying at FRB at all and we had a very nice time. A little more research in advance and arranging our offsite tours from the US (directly with the companies) might have avoided these minor issues.

Room Tip: Lots of different rooms to choose from (sizes, styles, etc.). The room layouts on the website are a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear CincyJoe95; I appreciate your candid comments and especially about the pros and cons. I am sorry the Pacuare rafting tour didn't work out- we generally only pick outside tours based on very strict criteria; our own personal knowledge and experience, the company's sustainability, the overall quality of the experience, safety and reliability. I would be very interested to get some personal comments from you about this tour so we can investigate this more and try to make it better.
As per our location, we are in the center of one of the largest coffee regions in Costa Rica, and in these areas many times the actual large coffee farms (cafetales) cannot be seen,a s the workers live in small houses right on the street line and the coffee fields are behind. Next to the gardens of 9 acres at Rosa Blanca is a coffee field owned but he Viquez family of about 1000 acres and across the street, besides our own 25 acres coffee farm (one of two we own) is the "Cuatro Hermanas" farms which are another 50-60 acres. And many many more. So although you do not have to drive hours through large stretches of uninhabited farmland, we are still in a pretty rural area, but on the edge of the very old and lovely Santa Barbara de Heredia, our seat of government.
Thanks again for writing about our small hotel, we appreciate the effort to help others make decisions.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

My husband and I ended our Honeymoon at Finca Rosa Blanca after having stayed at the Peace Lodge and several other places north of Costa Rica. We stayed in their honeymoon suite and did not want to leave it! It was an incredible experience, so romantic and private with a breath-taking night view of the city. Pictures don't do this place justice. We were so thrilled and thankful we found this place! It exceeded our expectations. It's a spacious room, more like an apartment, and so unique. In addition, we had a great host welcome us and show us around the property. The restaurant and coffee time were a great experience. We hope to go back someday!

Room Tip: the honeymoon suite has the best view, being one of the highest with a balcony that wraps around the...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Lisette T; I was so happy to hear you got to stay in the Rosa Blanca Master Suite. That room was originally built for my mother, who had always dreamed of "sleeping in the clouds". We couldn't quite do that for her, but we came as close as possible building the 360 degree view in the cupola with the king size bed placed in the middle. I know how wonderful that room is, and now that I am writing about it, I think I will try to find a night when it is not occupied and stay there again myself! Thanks for describing it to the readers.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

We just returned from a stay at this resort and had the most wonderful experience - located on a coffee plantation you would never know you were in San Jose - architectural style and design make you feel that you are in a country setting - even Spain or Portugal. The Manager Johnny, Front desk Carlos and reservationist Edguardo were most friendly and helpful as well as the wait staff. The rooms were the best - all different decorating styles - light and airy - clean and comfortable. A must is treating yourself to a message- the best I have had - thanks Pablo, I am thinking I am misspelling his name so I apologize, but he is the massage man!! Food was fresh and delicious. A must on our next visit to San Jose. Put it on your list.

Room Tip: I would say all are equally wonderful, depends on size you require.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear RonandRoberta; Thanks for describing your experiences at Rosa Blanca. You were quite correct about the spelling of Pablo's name and he is one of the best massage therapists around. Unfortunately I seldom have the time to enjoy one myself, but you know they say the "cobbler's children have no shoes". His wife Karina is also an amazing therapist and her treatments with organic coffee or other skin enhancers are really a treat. And why not? While at Rosa Blanca, there are certainly lots of activities and adventures, but the place is built for comfort and self pampering, so we are glad you were able to enjoy that part of our hotel experience. Thanks again fro writing in.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Finca Rosa Blanca is a quaint little coffee plantation set on beautiful grounds with fabulous, attentive staff. The complimentary coffee and cookies in the afternoon is delightful. The grounds are fun to explore and learn about coffee. Breakfast is included and did not disappoint. The bed is so comfortable and each room is unique. We enjoyed sunset by the pool.

Overall, this was a great transition sleepover between Manual Antonio and the Osa Peninsula. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: All room are great and unique
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear SnowGoose007; Thanks for taking time out of your day tow rite about our little hotel. I am very glad you enjoyed our beds and bedding as we consider the sleep quality to be as important as anything else in your vacation. Also, after doing all the activities we offer here, or just swimming in our 22 meter pool, you need a good night's sleep before starting again the next day. Thank you again for your nice review.

Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I concluded our 8-day first anniversary trip to Costa Rica with a final night's stay at Finca Rosa Blanca. We could not have asked for a better place to spend the actual evening of our anniversary. Everything, from the room (we stayed in El Higueron) to dinner that evening (with a lovely view of the city lights of San Jose) was perfect. Since we were only there for one night, we were not really able to enjoy everything the inn had to offer, but we did wander around the grounds, which were beautiful. We enjoyed talking to the man at the front desk (now that it's been several months since our trip, I can't remember his name - but he was super friendly and sassy!) and loved the rose petals in our room, a special touch for our anniversary. The ONLY thing I can complain about is that apparently a large group had completely cleaned out the bags of coffee in the gift shop, so we were unable to take home any with us! Love our stay, and if we someday return to Costa Rica, we will be back!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Metzsmith; I am so glad you had a wonderful time and thoroughly enjoined the fantastic views and our staff. I think the wild and crazy guy you were referring to was Toto, who indeed is a dynamic and ebullient character. I hope next time you come to
Costa Rica you will stay for more days, as there is so much to do here, that just one night isn't nearly enough. I am sorry about the coffee- luckily for us (but not for you this time) our coffee has been very in demand and we ran out int he stock room with not enough time to roast some more before your trip home. You can purchase it online though at cafemilagro.com and it will be delivered to your door freshly roasted. Thanks again for coming to stay with us and congratulations on your marriage!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Barbara
Peace Lodge
Peace Lodge
#1 of 7 in Heredia
Xandari Resort & Spa
Xandari Resort & Spa
#1 of 27 in Alajuela
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
#2 of 7 in Heredia
Hotel Monte Campana
Hotel Monte Campana
#1 of 1 in Birri

Been to Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!