“Fantastic hospitality”

Buccleuch & Queensberry Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thornhill
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed at the BQA for a weekend break with family, celebrating my mum's birthday. The team were very welcoming and took very good care of us all weekend. Nothing was too much trouble. The hotel was immaculate, newly re-furbished, tasteful decor with attention to detail. My 2 year old nephew loved the artwork of the highland cow! (I did too if I'm honest!).
The bedroom was very spacious and comfortable. Our room had a huge bath in the room, as well as a generously sized shower room. The huge bed was super comfy.
We ate in the bar on the Friday night and in the private dining room on the Saturday. The food was fantastic.
The BQA also has a gift shop over the road with many of the items you see in the hotel for sale, well worth a visit.
I'll definitely be back again.

1  Thank Amanda K
There are newer reviews for Buccleuch & Queensberry Hotel

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I visited the BQA for a relaxing weekend and I certainly was not disappointed. From the moment we arrived we felt completely at home, the staff were polite, friendly and very accommodating - a true Scottish welcome!

Our room was immaculate and very comfortable, with a high standard of finish and decoration. We ate both nights (and one lunchtime!) in the hotel restaurant, selecting a variety of different options from the menu - all of which were delicious!

Whilst at the hotel we visited Drumlanrig Castle and spent time looking round the amazing grounds and gardens which were beautiful and only a few minutes drive from the hotel. I'd never visited this area of Scotland before but we were absolutely blown away by the stunning scenery - definitely a place to return to and explore.

All in all we had a brilliant weekend and can't wait to go back there again soon.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carys2805
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We spent a weekend here over Easter. From the moment we arrived we knew that we were going to have a good weekend. The room was very well appointed with the added surprise of having a bath in the bedroom! The hotel has been recently refurbished and all the fixtures, fittings and furniture are of a high standard and tasteful. The service was excellent and the food was delicious ( table booking recommended).

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve M
Reviewed 25 April 2014

A friend of mine recommended this to me via Facebook. I have to say that this family run hotel really ticked every box. With its newly refurbished rooms, the "BQA" is tucked away in the heart of Dumfriesshire in a small town called Thornhill and a stones throw from the picturesque Drumlanrig Castle, we enjoyed great walks and a cycle ride through the Scottish countryside. The staff where fantastic and the food was delicious with a menu that was obviously well considered. I strongly recommend this hotel to anybody seeking a long active weekend up in beautiful Scotland.

1  Thank Henry D
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I stopped at the Buccleuch and Queensbury Arms a few weeks ago from Fri until Monday for my mum's 70th birthday celebration and cant recommend it highly enough. The food was outstanding, the rooms all individually decorated to an extremely high standard and the hospitality was first rate. The team could have been more attentive and accommodating - from changing our room to accommodate our dog to organising a packed lunch for a day trip to Drumlanrig castle. On the Saturday night we used the private dining room for a birthday meal from the restaurant menu which had something for everyone - from game and fish to locally reared steak. They also made a fantastic cake for my mum and treated her to a rousing 'happy birthday' tune in the bar on Friday night! The area is well know with the hunting, fishing, mountain biking and roade biking fraternity but there was lots for families to do as well - from activities at Drumlanrig to visit local petting farms. I cant recommend it highly enough!

Room Tip: All had lovely features - spoilt for choice
1  Thank Louise V
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Day out and stopped here for lunch! It was most enjoyable experience! The staff were very welcoming and friendly and the surroundings tastefully decorated. We had just a main course but the food quality was excellent and most certainly would recommend a visit if you are in the area.

2  Thank Giorgio-Lucia
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed here on a voucher deal for dinner bed and breakfast and what a wonderful hotel it was. The rooms were very well appointed with attention to detail and a very high spec. There was not one thing I could fault. I felt myself constantly commenting on the fixtures and fittings and how elegant they were. The bar and restaurant areas are of similar standard and did not fail to impress either. The food was exceptional, good choices offered from the supper and a la carte menus, delicious local food well presented. The kids menu was not a tacky plastic menu of sausage and mash effort, it was literally, a smaller version of the adult menu with a selection of home made, wholesome food. All of which (3 courses) was devoured by my 6 year old. The staff and service were excellent and we felt very welcome. We will definitely return. I woudl thoroughly recommend this place.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe room to accommodate a child bed. Very spacious even with this extra bed.
3  Thank Carolyn0774
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornhill
Trigony House Hotel
Townhead Hotel
Townhead Hotel
#1 of 7 in Lockerbie
Best Western Dryfesdale Country House Hotel

Been to Buccleuch & Queensberry Hotel? Share your experiences!