“Great hotel and wonderful service”

Bluewater Sumilon Island Resort
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I stayed here with my family, there are only a few chalets on the island giving it a private feel. The ocean views are amazing and the water is very clear. There is a nice sand bar on one end of the island when the tides are low. It is easy to travel to Oslob (15 mins) by boat to check out the attractions there like swimming with whale sharks and Tumalog waterfalls. Nice food and friendly staff!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank gennaghy

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Actually, I'd rate Bluewater Sumilon only as "average" at the moment BUT with the potential to be so much more because the island is gorgeous! This review is a bit late, we went a couple of months ago so maybe there's been some changes…after all, there were some renovations and upgrades going on while we were there.

Sumilon Island itself is tiny but beautiful, clear and gorgeous water over by the sand bar. I think that's really the only place to swim…we were lucky because there weren't many day-trippers when we were there, in fact, we had the sandbar all to ourselves for a gorgeous sunset!

The Sumilon Bluewater was small and not as fully staffed or serviced as the other Bluewater hotels in Mactan and Bohol…but the service was really good! From the pick up at the reception in Oslob, to check in…no complaints. Only service I could find fault with was the Amuma spa massages…it was lovely to get it done outdoors, in a little gazebo overlooking the water, but the massage therapists weren't very good at all and did not seem well-trained enough. I mean, these were 1,500++-peso massages, but they were unsmiling, seemed distracted, talked to each other, etc. One really cannot compare it to previous experiences at Amuma in Maribago Bluewater.

Because I read some trip advisor reviews, I knew that there could be a bugs and pests problem…hence I made sure I brought repellants…it is an island, after all, and some creepy crawlies are inevitable. The resort provides them too but I wanted to be fully armed, so we didn't have any issues.

Food was pretty good…not cheap, but not unreasonable either! And I'm not sure if some of the reviewers are talking about the same place because the food was actually quite good, very nicely presented...and the menu extensive enough for one not to get fed up for a long weekend.

The resort does need some improvement, as the rooms are starting to look a bit dated, but I think that is already in the works anyway. I would go back, and I would recommend it for a short break…it's a beautiful drive down this side of Cebu! :-)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chimenebelen
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My friends and I went here for a day tour, which is pegged at Php1,500.00 on weekdays and Php2,000.00 on weekends and holidays. Pretty reasonable. Inclusions are round-trip transfers from Bancogon in Oslob to Sumilon Island (the island is right in the middle of the sea so this is a must), lunch, island activities like snorkeling, trekking and kayaking and use of swimming facilities.

Pros
- The picturesque views.
- Nice activities (trekking, kayaking, snorkeling), but limited. For families, they do have a children's playground.
- Beautiful sandbar, though it can get crowded with guests

Cons
- The food at the Pavilion was disappointing, It was also limited and when some of the food ran out, they were not replenished.
- Obtrusive service. The staff were too loud, would greet us even when we were lounging or engaged in a conversation, etc.
- The "infinity" pool was too small.
- The changing room was not well-kept (always wet, with slipper marks)

My massage: This was not included in the day tour package so I had to pay Php1,500.00 for an hour of their Hilot Lamang. It was okay, but expensive. The therapist just continued with her massage and did not ask me if the pressure was right, etc.

My recommendation: Go here on a weekday. Not only is it cheaper, there will be less people and you don't have to fight over hammocks, loungers, etc.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Charmel P
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We went for a dray trip, so excited as we'd heard great things about Sumilon....what a disappointing experience. The pool was dirty, not the water but the actual walls and floor. The beach was rural, with no seating or spaces to chill. We were given old white towels to use at the pool, yet hotel guests were given lovely fluffy blue and white strip towels - we were treated as 2nd class citizens yet we spent $200 for the day.

The service was slow and the set menu for the day package was so basic a high school child could cook better. We paid 2,000 pesos ($50) for a day trip to be served spaghetti meat balls. We decided to order of the a la carte menu, that wasnt much better. We got a deep fried burger patty and the roast veg pasta was a bowl of spaghetti with tomato sauce and a few pieces of carrot and green beans. We spent $200 and went home on the early boat so disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank supersunrise
Reviewed 23 September 2013

The service was exceptional. Someone was with us from the airport, two boat rides and car ride.
The people at the island were also very friendly and reached out to cater to our every need. We went whale shark watching, and only paid PHP150 for the van to wait for us.

I would recommend this for a romantic getaway and family trips. The sand is a bit rocky except for the sandbar. We also hiked around the island.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cinnamon23
Reviewed 13 September 2013

A nice place for escape my working pressure. No need to worry be disturbed by the hubbub of voices. You can enjoy the sound of wind, sea and wave. I love this kind of private island.

在沒有太多人潮的島嶼,可以自在享受大海與沙灘。不用擔心被人聲、噪音打擾,伴著入眠的是舒服海浪聲。島雖然很小,但光是浮淺和戲水,就可以玩很久,很適合想遠離塵囂、自在放空的人來度假。只是島上的食物選擇不多,建議可以自備一些點心過去。

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Yubo018
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Arriving from Dumaguete airport, our transfers (airport-van-public ferry-van-BW boat) to the hotel was excellent. Welcome drinks and resort orientation was efficient. Room was very spacious that watching TV wasn't ideal for it was too far from the beds. Food was excellent (not too sweet nor too salty) but too pricey. Lechon kawali and lemongrass cooler were the bomb! Yum! Staff (especially Raul & Rose) were well-trained and very friendly.

This place is best for rest and relaxation. Beach is only for diving and snorkeling. Whaleshark experience is definitely a must! Still here but already planning a comeback!

• Stayed: September 2013
#2 of 92 in Cebu City
Tepanee Beach Resort
Tepanee Beach Resort
#1 of 13 in Malapascua Island

Been to Bluewater Sumilon Island Resort? Share your experiences!