“Tasty and Welcoming”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Riebeek Kasteel
Kasteelberg Country Inn & Bistro
Ranked #14 of 17 Riebeek Kasteel B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 May 2013

My girlfriend and I were exploring Riebeeck Kasteel for the weekend and found our way to the Secret Garden for a few beers on Saturday afternoon. We met Julien who is a fantastic host and enjoyed a few delicious glasses of wine. Later that night after we dined elsewhere (shame on us) we ventured out again looking for the night life of the town - which in all honesty, doesn't really exist it seems. We pulled in for a drink at Kasteelberg to be welcomed in by Julien to join a big table for a birthday party - we accepted and jumped in to the most pleasant night imaginable. Lots of good wine, complimented by knowledgeable waiters (Cassius knows his stuff!) When we eventually managed to surface the following day we thought its time to complete our weekend getaway with a meal at Kasteelberg. I had the most delicious kingklip and my lady had the Octopus and Squid stew - both of the dishes were top notch - compliments to the chef. The service was fantastic and friendly as ever. We will be returning very soon with friends! Thanks Allan and Julien for a fantastic experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 April 2013

Kasteelberg came recommended by some better travelled locals as being one of the more consistent restaurants in the town. I had been there 8 years ago and thought given this recommendation that it may be better than what I had experienced back then. It was OK but did perform as hoped, especially given that Julien is reportedly "hands on".

The winelist had some interesting local producers, including some not open to the public. It was reasonably priced, and certainly better than some other local winelist.

The menu seemed to echo others in the area, however the Pissaladiere stood out as something more interesting. Much gorgeous better half had the deboned lamb flank ... good but very fatty. I had swordfish - on the dry side.

Value for money - OK

Overall - I would score them 3.5 as I think the owners need to reinvigorate the menu before that young Turk chef rides in to town and disrupts the local dining scene.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2012

We had already booked for a 1 night stay before we read the reviews on Trip Advisor which were in the main not overly complimentary. It shows the power of negative advertising. Well , we were pleasantly surprised. Met and efficiently booked in by Prosper, a Zimbabwean , we were shown to our room which more than met our expectations. On the ground floor , large and with a king size bed ( as requested ) full of natural light and an en- suite shower ( which did need an extra scrub to clean the grouting)with plenty of hot water. We strolled the quaint village before dinner and had a beer at the atmospheric bar of the Royal Hotel. Prosper was in attendance again at dinner which was tastefully presented and most enjoyable. Here I must mention that Prosper took us on a journey through the wine list that would do a cellar-master proud. Quite a surprise and it made our choice of wine easy.
And who should serve breakfast , but Prosper ! Overall , an enjoyable stay.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2012

The owners are on holiday. The "caretaker" decided to do a greek menu, as they are in Greece and he felt that he would not do justice to the normal french fare. We enjoyd it! Good service and excellent food.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Great setting, decor and ambience but unfortunately that is where the experience ended as the food was mediocre, and very slow in coming out of the kitchen. My fried halloumi cheese starter arrived without accompanied cucumber, olive and fennel salad. It was only brought after I pointed out the error. I was expecting fennel chunks in the salad, but it had dried fennel tips sprinkled over as an afterthought. My seafood risotto was not of a restaurant standard and I was sorry that I had ordered it. A friend ordered the salmon trout and was expecting a complete fish (as is it is usually served), but was given a chunk of fish that looked more like salmon. When asking the chef about the fish, he was haughty, arrogant and irritated. "Come to the kitchen and I'll show you the invoice that proves it is salmon trout on your plate". His excuse was that the waiter should have explained this is how they serve their salmon trout - big chunks. In defence, the pork belly roast and seafood platter eaten by the rest of the table was good. Unfortunately ALL the meals served at the table should be of the same standard. Will think twice before going back to this venue.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2012

My party had a good meal but I was served undercooked and unacceptable meat bearing no resemblance to what was on the menu. I sent it back twice then accepted that I was not going to eat. My complaint to the owner/chef (cook) was met with denial and arrogance. Rather eat elsewhere - Cafe Felix has very good reviews.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ChrisDix
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We stopped here just for lunch 6 Jan. This place looks beautiful. Chairs are exceptionally comfortable, tables clean. They had water atomisers to help keep the temperature down.

However the food was distinctly average. I had the New York Burger which wasn't awful, but my wife had the pasta which she said was terrible - lukewarm, flavourless, overcooked and poorly presented.

But the biggest problem was the service. It felt like geological timescales passed between the fleeting moments that a waiter was on the floor. Never were we offered anything like 'more drinks' or 'dessert' and we had to chase everything. I noticed other diners also becoming frustrated at the service too, and the table next to us rebuked the (only?) waiter for only bringing their cakes after they had finished their drinks.

We eventually gave our orders to the person who cleared and re-made the tables. Wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family