“Friendly Staff”

Ranked #1 of 2 Cheadle B&B and Inns
Crewe, United Kingdom
“Friendly Staff”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Stayed here for one Saturday night in June 2012, as a B&B attached to a fairly decent pub, it's OK but far from brilliant.

The best thing by far were the friendly and helpful staff, everyone we met was cheerful and pleasant.

The room was a good size, sparsely furnished with not the nicest furniture I've ever seen in a hotel room, the fridge didn't work and a few lamps had non-working bulbs. The window overlooked another part of the hotel (literally about 3 feet away) and had a security grill on it so could only be opened about 6 inches. The room was accessed through a stifling hot corridor piled high with linen in laundry bags.

Used the restaurant for breakfast only, which was OK, again with nice staff.

Overall it was good value, and ideally placed for our needs, if we had a better room not over-looking the kitchens I'd be marking things much higher.

Room Tip: Avoid room 9
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I stayed in the hotel for one night a Friday. Although the place was busy the staff we're friendly and helpful. In total there was nine in our party staying the night. The rooms were clean although the decor could have been better. Six of us ordered a meal in the bar (2 for £9.95) not expecting much. The food arrived after a not to long wait (in fact quiker than we expected) it was hot and well presented. Well worth the value. The only item we had to wait for was a coffee. Yes the pub was busy and noisy, but it was a Friday night. The rooms we had were suprisingly quiet, and a good nighta sleep was had by all. Well worth the money.

Room Tip: Try getting rooms 9 or 10 no veiw but no noise,
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2012

The Governors House is a pub/restaurant/hotel - although there were only 11 x bedrooms. It is obviously a very popular place as during opening hours it was literally heaving with people drinking, eating and to all extent having a whale of a time. We paid £55.00 per night per room which included breakfast. We were there for two nights and stayed in Room 10. The room itself was small and tidy with a double bed. Very tired looking and one of the bedside cabinets had a draw with a missing handle and a door that fell off in one's hand. The bathroom was spacious, plenty of hot water and useful shelves to store all our soaps, shampoos etc. On the plus side an iron and ironing board was supplied but there wasn't a hairdryer. The windows were prevented from opening too much due to iron grills. However, I should imagine these grills were to prevent break-ins from the flat roof(s) which unfortunately were used for the storage of dis-used paintbrushes, garden umbrella stands and a miscellaneous assortment of rubbish. Plus of course weeds etc. For some reason or other, we could smell cooking grease so we assume that the kitchen area was under the flat roof which our room overlooked, but there was at times the smell of sewerage which we assume was coming back into the bathroom via the open window from the enclosed roof area adjacent to Room 10. Breakfast was a disappointment with a very poor selection available. We ate to the background noise of the hoover. It is a question of priorities. It is either a pub or a hotel. I personally feel that it is a pub and the hotel part is an afterthought.
On the positive side the staff are friendly and helpful but there does seem to be a total lack of direction and/or instruction from management which was inconspicuous. Additional staff of the right calibre might be an answer but I do feel that some-one should be sweeping up the general rubbish around the property, clearing out the compound adjacent to the hotel entrance door (currently being used as a tip) and the cigarette butts around the entrance doors. At no time was the carpet within the hotel entrance vacuumed during the period of our stay. Nice place but does need some TLC., which is surprising given that it has reputably had a massive make-over.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2012 via mobile

A group of 12 of us decided it would be nice to go for our meal on bank holiday Monday. It wasn't excessively busy, but reasonably steady. We ordered food and some people got their meals relatively quickly, others had to wait up to half an hour. Surely all the food should be brought out at roughly the same time if we all order together.

2 members of the group clearly got forgotten about & didn't get their meals until everyone had finished theirs. Side orders were forgotten, meals that came out were not as described on the menu. Chips were pure grease & clearly not fresh. 1 of our group ordered risotto, when it turned up it looked like it had been sat on the side for half an hour & then pinged in the microwave. When we complained the manager just looked at us as if we had 3 heads, no offer of apology. I strongly recommend you go elsewhere & don't waste your money in this place!!

• Stayed May 2012

Travellers are raving about these Cheadle hotels

Stockport
Reviewed 4 May 2012 via mobile

This pub is what you would call our local and I'm extremely disspointed. After having a poor quality meal a few months ago, thought I would give it benefit of the doubt. Not again. Went tonight and waited 25 minutes to get our food (it wasn't busy!) to then find my foos stone cold. The waitress should would sort it out. My husband had finished his meal by the time I got my food back, now hot and the same chips!!i know this as I had salt on them prior to returning. There was no taste to the fish cake and the Creme fraise it came with was awful! My husbands meal also had coleslaw missing (not the first time they have done this) no one came over after to see if ok. I am a very firm believer in no one taking notice of the quiet people who don't complain too much, as it these that will not return and tell everyone they know about the poor service.....I will not be eating here again and voted with my feet!

Stayed May 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Decided to try the Governors after hearing that it was a popular pub/restaraunt. Saturday was very busy, as expected, but we found a table and my husband ordered and paid for the meal when he went to the bar for our drinks. It took some time to do this because of the volume of people wanting drinks. Our starter arrived quite quickly, but then we had a long wait for our mains, by which time we were ravenous. My meal was steak and chips, the steak was reasonable, but the chips were greasy, lukewarm and obviously not freshly cooked. My husband referred to his chips as soggy with grease and the batter on his fish was also soggy with mushy peas that had solidified. Nobody came over until it was obvious that we had finished, then a poor young woman came and asked us if everything was ok, to which I replied no. She said she was very sorry and would go and see if there was anything she could do for us. Although it was too late to compensate us and our evening had been spoiled I think the response of the manager was out of order. The waitress returned and apologised again, explaining that the chips they make at the Governors are skin on and that was the reason why they were greasy and soggy. She was obviously embarassed and I said I didnt blame her. The manger was stading at the bar nearby and was totally disinterested. I will not go to the Governers again and I would advise others to give it a miss if they are looking forward to a good meal.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This was my first visit to 'The Governor's', very comfortable beds & pillows, clean rooms, plenty of hot water & heating even during the snow & frost! Service in the bar was a bit slow, staff very friendly, would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the car park
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheadle
Village Hotel Manchester Cheadle
Best Western Plus Manchester Airport Wilmslow Pinewood Hotel
Cheadle House
Cheadle House
#3 of 4 in Cheadle

Been to The Governor's House Hotel? Share your experiences!