“Very Rude Owner/Manager” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Cheadle
St. Andrews Scotland
“Very Rude Owner/Manager”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

I booked a room with a very late check in, as I was coming in on a flight that landed in the early hours of the morning. Therfore I specifically asked in my booking request that the hotel could confirm if this would be ok for me to do this by them sending me a text message, as where I was the internet was very unreliable, and after the booking, I never actually managed to get online again to check emails.

I received no text, (and as it happens no email was send when I checked at home either) and not getting onto the internet again could not book elsewhere, so hoped my request was ok, but when I turned up at the hotel there was nobody there and the door was locked. Being a very small hotel I did not ring the doorbell as I didn't want to wake other guests up, so I knocked the door for about 5 minutes, and also knocked on the window where I could see the reception counter. No answer. She claimed to have waited up to 3.30am, and that I should have rung the bell, but there was definately no-one at reception at 3.45am when I arrived.

When I telephoned just now, as they are trying to say I was a "no-show" and are charging me, the owner/manager was very rude to me, kept interupting me, and when I asked about the instructions to text me she said first of all that they do not have that facility, and so when I asked did no-one at the hotel had a phone that they could quick text me on she replied "I am not paying to send a text to my guests!" So, this hotel, which is a customer service based industry, wouldn't send a text message when a customer had asked for it! Especially when to be honest, how many hotel owners/managers have a phone plan that means they pay for texts? I am fairly sure it would have been free, but even if it were not, she has basically admitted a 10p text was more a concern than a customer?

I am fine with them not be able to meet my requests, or, if she did indeed wait until 3.30, why could she not have texted me to say that either no, it was not possible, or yes, it was fine, just ring the doorbell when you arrive? But speaking to her there was absolutely not even a hint of any kind apology for me not getting my room, she was just extremely rude to me.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank damien_angela

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

Nice place to stay if you've got to have an early flight from Manchester Airport. A nice basic (no bath room glasses e.g)but comfortable and clean room, A taxi for 4am was nicely arranged. Nice ladies at the reception.It is possible to have a short walk around that lovely area too.
Perfect for one night.

Room Tip: Rooms at the sides are quketer, as a not too quiet road is at the front.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank James L
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Me and my boyfriend arrived at 1am after a long flight, we stood knocking on the door in the cold waiting for someone to come, when someone finally did we were looked at as if we shouldn't be there. A foreign lady answered the door and was less than welcoming, we were made to feel extremely awkward, and I understand it was late and she was tired but if you run a hotel isnt being welcoming part of it? It smelt like old damp as soon as you entered, the wall paper was peeling off the walls. When we got into are room the doors creaked loudly, the decor in the room was extremely dated and nothing match, visible cobwebs everywhere, again smeelt damp. The ensuite was tiny and had NO running cold water. Worst sleep I have had in a long time, felt very uncomfortable being there, noisy road and if anyone above flushed the toilet or ran the tap the blumbing made an awful loud noise which woke us both up after FINALLY dozing off. Tried to have a shower the next day, boiling hot water came from the shower which you couldnt alter. We let her know and she came up to 'check' it, which I find hard to believe after how many reviews I have now seen on here about the water. She was no more pleasant than the night before - Rude. She then told us we could shower in the room next door, which hadnt been cleaned since the last guests stayed. This shower was also boiling. Packed our stuff and got out of there as soon as possible - never been happier to leave somewhere. Should of checked tripadvisor.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank charlotte H
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

I stayed here the night before my long haul flight from Manchester. Arrived at about 7.30pm, the 'welcome' was not warm and the lady checking us in turned to talk to someone else (another guest who had interrupted) as I was speaking. I asked about transport to the airport in the morning, she replied ' there is none, you would have to book a taxi' but offered not numbers.
There were a lot of cobwebs and dust, as well as battered furniture and very tired decor.
The room was a good size, but the en-suite tiny and damp, with mould between the tiles. The bed was very uncomfortable, it felt like the thin mattress from a cheap fold out bed. Neither of the bedside lights worked, the drawers were dirty and had hair in them. I couldn't bring myself to open the wardrobe.
I got up at 6am the next morning and went to shower. The temperature was boiling hot and would not cool down. The only time it was bearable was when the hot water was running out, but after 2 minutes it was cold.
It was only a few minutes drive to the airport, but apart from that, there is no reason why you should ever stay there.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

I needed to drop my son off at the airport, so we stayed here (after checking on tripadvisor!). It is a 'quaint' little place right on the main road, the sat nav got a bit confused! The room was very clean and bright. the bathroom too - the shower was excellent! We were on the top floor, so I'm glad my son could carry up his own bag! Road was a little noisy, but that covers up the plane noise, and we both slept well. I would definitely recommend this place for a pre or post airport stopover.
Note - if you want to eat an evening meal there, it has to be pre-booked. We just walked 10 mins into Heald Green and ate at the Beefeater.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank YorkshireCountrylass
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

The Pymgate Lodge is a lovely old hotel/guesthouse that has been allowed to deteriorate sadly. The rooms are clean and comfortable but the grounds are greatly lacking in care giving a lacking welcome first impression. We arrived on a very hot evening and the windows barely open and there is no cross ventilation so the rooms were stifling! My husband went and purchased a small fan to survive! The breakfast is a basic continental breakfast of toast and cereal, etc....sufficient but not impressive. It is pretty convenient to the Manchester Airport which is why we chose it to rest after a transatlantic flight. The traffic noise from the street is pretty loud especially since one must have the windows open for any air. It slowed a bit late in the evening but the street is a very busy main road.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Athens,Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

We had the pleasure of staying 2 weeks on a business trip at Pymgate.
It is a lovely and very clean lodge with very friendly staff.Valentina will take care and answer any question you might have and help in the best possible way.
Lean Breakfast was included,but on request a delicious full English was available.
Within 10 min walk from the train station,allowed us to go anywhere we needed to go.
A very nice place overall,but only thanks to Valentina and Christina.
Thank you for a memorable stay and we'll see you again in October.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank billggr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheadle
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (Heald Green) Hotel
#68 of 115 in Manchester
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,146 reviews
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
Manchester Airport Marriott Hotel

Been to Pymgate Lodge Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!