“Food good, service excellent but way overpriced!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Pointing Dog

Pointing Dog
Ranked #21 of 88 Restaurants in Cheadle
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Grill
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Manchester
“Food good, service excellent but way overpriced!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

We've eaten here a few times now, though the 1st couple of times were only light bites for lunch, this time we had an evening meal. You can't really fault the food, it is good, though not outstanding and the service is great; it's the menu prices that would stop me going back again in the evening. It was up to £9 for a starter, which we didn't bother with. The mains were from about £12 for a chicken dish, which I had and up to almost £27 for a steak; which would have been ok, had you not then had to add on your side dishes. The desserts I admit were lovely and I would definitely recommend the chocolate cake in a jar. Overall good but not worth the money.

• Visited December 2013

“Oh dear!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

The atmosphere and ambience here is great, and the staff are really good - very attentive and helpful. You feel a bit special when you come here, but it is about the food and drink, after all. I popped in one lunchtime and had a nice exchange of conversation with Noddy Holder (really!) whilst I waited. My cup of tea was lovely - very fresh tasting.
The handmade crisps were greasy and a bit burnt, so I left most of them. The artichoke soup was strange; it was lukewarm and bland. The odd stringy things floating on top were unidentifiable and added nothing to the soup. I can only think that the bread served with it was yesterday's, as it was hard and dry, so I left it.

Such a shame, such a lot going for this place. I will go back as I do like it ... Will hope for better food next time. Sorry to be negative.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Barbara P
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Nice place, but a bit overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

The pointing dog has a friendly atmosphere and the staff are always great, but the food is nothing special, and slightly pricey for what it is in my opinion!

It can sometimes be a bit pretentious because of the clientele!

However, It is lovely sitting outside in the summer as there is a large outside area that catches the sun until late!

Visited July 2013
“Nom nom ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Went for a meal for two on a Saturday evening. Seated immediately. Food was a short wait once ordered. Given bar snacks whilst we were awaiting our starters. Food was excellent. Only minus would be the price. Slightly too expensive. £80.00 for two. Is a little too much as only one was drinking alcohol.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea for Two”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

Treated a friend to afternoon tea a couple of weeks ago. First impression was it wasn't something they did a lot of - our table wasn't ready, for instance. After a somewhat uncomfortable start, things improved when the food came out. It was really very good. The sandwiches were freshly made, with imaginative fillings and the scones were excellent. There was a nice selection of cakes and the tonka bean panna cotta was delicious. Just one black mark though. Afternoon tea is all about the tea and all we got was a glass (!) of hot water with a tea bag. When we asked for a refill, we were charged extra. So we're still looking for the ideal local venue for afternoon tea. Sorry, folks, but it's all about the tea.

• Visited October 2013