“Much Improved”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Stockport
“Much Improved”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

It had been about 3 years since our last visit to The Ashlea. Why? Because on our last visit, my husband ordered the fish pie. It came accompanied by green beans - with an insect sitting proudly on top!! When my husband pointed out to the hapless waitress that he'd ordered a vegetarian meal and then pointed to the insect, sitting in perfect form, cooked to perfection on top of the beans. She muttered some kind of apology, took his meal back to the kitchen and returned seconds later, presumably having flicked it off. Our bill came as normal, so then my husband had to go to explain to the management what had happened to get the cost of his meal taken off the bill. All in all, appalling. BUT THAT WAS 3 YEARS AGO. On Saturday, encouraged by other Tripadvisor reviews, we decided to give it another chance - and we are REALLY glad we did. I've always loved the pub's atmosphere - cosy, with lots of different nooks and crannies as well as larger areas, such as the conservatory where we opted to sit. The staff were without exception efficient, professional and personable. I ordered slow cooked shoulder of lamb with chive mash, wilted spinach and a bacon, caramelised onion and mushroom red wine sauce (£15). It was really excellent, although I would have liked a bit more sauce. My husband ordered the similarly priced rib of beef with duck and sweet potato fries which again was really good and a very generous portion. For dessert (approx. £5 each) we had a chocolate orange tart and crème brulee - both good although I found the brulee slightly gritty. We had a bottle of Malbec (£18) to accompany the meal. The waitress enquired if we had enjoyed our meals and when I said that I would have liked a little more sauce, she said she would pass my comments back to the chef - I like this attentive service. All in all, a really pleasant meal in great surroundings in walking distance from home. The menu is varied, with several meals catching our eye - so we will be returning soon. I'm really pleased The Ashlea is back on form!

• Visited April 2014

Manchester
“much better”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Gave the Ashlea a second chance after my previous review. They have returned to a menu that features a good choice of old favourites and the food was very good. Well done to the Ashlea for taking on board customers criticisms and, more to the point, doing something about it. We will return !!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank footloose49
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Has improved”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Had a meal at the Ashlea about a year ago, wasn't very good and haven't been back since. But tried it again a couple of weeks ago and had a good meal and good service, so yes it has improved and I will be returning.

1 Thank crissy a
“Not bad for a spot of lunch”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

My partner and I nipped into The Ashlea for a quick bite to eat in our lunch breaks. We were warmly greeted and seated promptly. We opted for the lunch menu as neither of us wanted anything fancy so decided to go for the Rump steak burger served with chips and a big onion ring, the chicken burger with BBQ sauce, and a side of garlic bread with cheese.

The mains arrived after about a 15 minute wait. The burger was very tasty and juicy, I did ask for it to be served without the bun yet the waitress forgot to ask the Chef. The chips were hot and crispy - the onion ring tasted abit too battered for my liking. My partner said that his chicken burger was really nice, as was the side of Garlic bread.

The bill was under £15 as we only ordered a jug of iced water so it was good value for money as the portions were quite generous. I think this pub is perfect for a lunch time - I'm not sure about the quality of some of the other options on the menu but it probably wouldn't be a location we would go to for an evening meal unless it was mid week and we wanted something quick.

3 Thank Jennifer K
Cheshire, UK
“Valentines Day- impromptu trip”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

After dropping my Son off at a prebooked Teppanyaki in Manchester, I couldn't think of anything I fancied. So we went for a steady meal at The Ashlea.
We haven't been for a while as our last meal was average..
However, Hubby ordered a mixed grill- not over large, steak about 2" square, small piece of Chicken, a sausage, unwanted black pudding, an egg, piece of gammon, onion rings tomato and fries. He wasn't overfull after it [men] but enjoyed an ice cream too
I ordered a Sirloin which was cooked to order, with sweet potato fries tomato and onion rings. I really enjoyed it.and the ice cream afterward.
It was all table service, we had 3 people waiting on us, service friendly and quick, even though it was busy. I had 2 glasses of Merlot which were large and inebriating :)
A reasonable priced meal, or could have had a 4 course valentines for £19.99
Looking at the menu, there were quite a few dishes I fancied, and the atmosphere was good. Would definitely go again.

1 Thank soojay