Village Hotel Manchester Cheadle
Cheadle House(Cheadle)
Wycliffe Hotel(Stockport)
Didsbury House(Manchester)
2,573 results
All reviewsdyson fanclub roomleisure facilitiesthe upper decksky tvleisure clubcoffee machinegreat facilitiessteam roomlovely hotelclose to the airportan upgradeenjoyable stayone night staygood nights sleepcomfy bedgym
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I stayed here for a few nights on business. Upon check-in the staff were friendly and welcoming. The hotel itself is nice and the room was well appointed, large and comfortable.

The hotel was badly let down by its cleaners. When I arrived there was dust everywhere in the room, on the lamps, TV and surfaces. There were coffee rings on the bedside unit and hair on the bathroom side and floor. There was a half eaten biscuit down the side of the bed between the bedside unit and the bed and fluff on the floor. I left the fluff and it was still there when I left, meaning the room hadn't been hoovered all week. Replenishment of room supplies was hit and miss, some days it was all replaced others it wasn't, one day I had no stirrers for tea and coffee, another day there were no tissues left.

Also, the walls are thin and the corridors noisy which didn't make for a good night's sleep.

A shame really, because if it was nice and clean the hotel would be great!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Tracy H, General Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Cheadle, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Dear Dan1976BFS

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following a recent stay with.

I am really sorry to hear the positive start to your stay was some what tarnished by your overall bedroom experience. Our Housekeeping Manager was both shocked and embarrassed when she read your review and has taken the appropriate action necessary with her team. I am how ever pleased to hear the team were friendly and welcoming on arrival.

I am at the Hotel most days should you wish to discuss your stay further.

Thank you once again.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

We visited Cheadle this weekend for a friends wedding, and thankfully the wedding wasn't at this hotel!

After a 3hr drive we were greeted by a really lovely receptionist who was chatty and amusing, Thought we were onto a winner! Until we opened the door to our cell....sorry room. 217 to be precise.

The light above the door didnt work, and this was the only main light in the room, two lamps above the bed, a floor lamp that didnt work and a desk lamp which was pointless. As previous posters have said the room was incredibly dark with a tiny window with a dark wooden blind. We requested someone change the bulb in the light but there are no maintenance men working on a weekend!! Genius!!

What we found unbelievable about this particular room is that it has a section jutting out into the room which gives you about 5inches to walk around the bed?? We thought it was next doors bathroom, but on peeking in next door the next morning their wall was flat so we can only assume it was part of the air conditioning unit as it whirred all night. Ironic really as there is no air con in the room and its like a sauna.

The room was tatty, stains up the walls where people have (i assume) split drinks, the valance on the bed was velcro'd together, there was thick dust around the skirting boards, the bathroom door looked like something from a horror movie where someone had been locked in and had tried to scratch their way out. The shower pressure was intermittent. The extractor fan in the bathroom didnt work so it was like a steam room.

We decided to go for a drink in the bar after our long journey. £11.65 for a glass of wine and a pint of beer???? Er this is Stockport not Central London. On inspection of our bill on checking out one of the glasses of wine I'd had was £8.95, for a GLASS?? Disgusting. The bar is also a cross between shameless and a whetherspoons

On the subject of the bill - its a good job we did check it as there were two items on their that we hadnt signed for, one of which was a £24.50 food bill??! We didnt eat dinner in the hotel.

Breakfast on the first morning we had to go into the bar as the 'restaurant' was full, no biggie, got our breakfast sat down, nice enough for a buffet breakfast - I then requested Decaf coffee - hmmmm I think we have some somewhere, Ill go and look?!. They did find some, but really in this day and age you should be able to provide decaf without question.

2nd breakfast on Sunday was a disaster. We had to wait 20mins for a table. Then when we did sit down there was nothing on the hot breakfast buffet, they had to be told by at least 3 of us that it needed re-filling - even after 15mins of waiting there were still no sausages. Then there was no bread, had to ask for some more, only white was available. The my husband found a hair under his breakfast, at which point we decided it was time to leave!

Positive Point: The bed was very comfortable.

We booked this room through Hospitality Line and used our Tesco Cloubcard vouchers - could this be why we were allocated such a small room? Who knows, but at least we didnt pay for it!!

Room Tip: Maybe choose an Upper Deck room if you really like wasting more money on this hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank helenmarie78
Tracy H, General Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Cheadle, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2013

Dear helenmarie78

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us.

After reading through your comments I was really disappointed to hear about your stay with us and sorry that we were not offered an opportunity to speak with your self regarding the matter and had to hear of your experiences from your review. I do take all customer feed back seriously as we rely on that information to maintain our standards and make improvements where needed.

The Hotel is extremely old and I absolutely agree that there are areas that do need improvements and we are doing these improvements in stages. We recently invested a lot of money in our Restaurant which now boasts an open Robata grill and fantastic seating and surroundings. We do have 117 bedrooms and of those we have recently upgraded 30 of our bedrooms with a further 60 planned for Jan-Mar 2014. I can absolutely assure you that we do not allocate rooms based on what people pay or what vouchers they purchasedas demonstrated in a previous review where somebody paid £20 and had a fantastic stay with us.

I am at the Hotel most days should you wish to discuss your stay with me further and look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel one night on business and have to say felt totally let down by the whole experience.
Check in was fine and I was allocated room 105. When I opened the door to my room the first thing I heard was the noise.
It turns out the main A/C compressor is on the flat roof about three metres away from my window. Although they have tried to put double glazing in to dampen the noise, it still vibrates constantly. When the room itself has no A/C you have to close the window and literately sweat yourself to bits.
I went down to reception and to be fair the lady on duty checked to see if there was anything else free but unfortunately not. It seems that if you get any of these rooms that overlook this area trust me you will NOT get any sleep at all.
Seeing as it was now around eight thirty, I had no other choice than to stay.
The room itself just got worse, paint missing from bathroom door and skirting boards, stains on the walls, window frame virtually rotted away, plug in sink not even connected to a chain, mildew starting to show around the bath and shower screen, missing back from TV remote control ( I even had to put the aerial lead back myself as the TV would not work) to be honest, the room needs a entire refurbishment..
The restaurant itself looked quite nice but for some reason the main extraction fan must have been faulty as the entire place was full of smoke that was coming from the theatre grill and all my clothes therefore stank.
I ordered the mixed grill and I think they must have forgotten my order as I waited nearly 50 minutes for it to arrive, to be fair one of the ladies must have realised I had been waiting too long and apologised and offered me a free drink, but again after a four hour drive all I wanted to do was to eat and go to bed.
When the meal arrived I though great it looks lovely, until I tried to eat the steak which was one big lump of fat and gristle. For £22 you would have thought the chef would ensure you can actually eat what is served.

Breakfast was fine and again to be fair to the receptionist on check out she did refund the entire meal due to the room issues but I really wanted was a nice meal, nice room and a good sleep. I do not mind paying.

So,to sum this up the staff are really nice and do a great job, and if you get a room that does not overlook the roof you may have a great stay. Word of wisdom is to actually ring the hotel and ask them first before you book as you might be disappointed.
£122 a night with no sleep is not really value for money and I personally would not return.

Stayed: September 2013

Dear rossandlinda

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us.

The Hotel is extremely old and I absolutely agree that there are areas that do need improvements as with every business and we are doing these improvements in stages. We recently invested a lot of money in our Restaurant and do have further plans for our Victory Pub. We also have 117 bedrooms and have recently upgraded 30 of our bedrooms with a further 60 planned for Jan-Mar 2014 including windows, door locks, the implementation of sliding bathroom doors and so forth.

I was very surprised to hear about your experience in the Chop House and your steak, we do pride our selves on our food and all of our steaks are supplied by Donald Russell who are a Royal Warrant holder, supplying the royal family as noted on their website. I am pleased how ever to hear that this matter was resolved to your satisfaction. During the time of your visit we were having major issues with our extraction unit causing smoke from the open Robata grill to move around the restaurant.

I am at the Hotel most days should you wish to discuss your stay with me further.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Unfortunately our visit to this hotel started badly with a long wait at reception to check in. Both receptionists were very friendly but this led to them having very long conversations with personal friends whilst trying to attend to duties. The bedroom was furnished in a modern theme with everything we needed although both sets of pillows were like ''bricks''. After a 10 hour journey to get here we ordered room service and whilst the quality of the food was ok it arrived uncovered and lukewarm! Not realising this when we booked but this hotel is very close to the runway at Manchester Airport therefore even with the windows closed you could still here the aeroplanes until about 11pm and then starting again about 7am. The hotel obviously has lots of attractions in terms of leisure facilities attracting lots of families and therefore all public areas are all very busy. The price we paid for the nights B & B was a good rate but even if offered this again I would not choose to stay here.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear LoAndTo

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us.

After reading through your comments I was really disappointed to hear of about your stay with us. I was also very surprised to hear your comment about our Reception team who usually deliver exceptional service as noted in several other responses.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Stayed in a room next to an upper deck room. That have fancy speakers so listened to load music until 3AM. Did complain about this earlier was given free drink by staff, I suppose we were stuck there once the drink was consumed. Also wedding party were load and went on until early hours. Noise of planes landing at manchester airport was welcome to drown out other noise. Not recommend for a quiet getaway.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Andis82

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us.

After reading through your comments I was really disappointed to hear of about your stay with us. I am really sorry to hear that your stay was impacted by other guests and although you were offered a drink I am sure that had you raised your concern further with the Nights team they would have done their up most to rectify this for you. Although this does seem to be an isolated incident I will ensure the Night Management team are monitoring this during their evening security walks.