“Strangely subdued”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Cheadle
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Strangely subdued”
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

I spent two nights at this hotel with friends on a bed and breakfast basis. We had intended using the leisure facilities but were put off by the number of young children arriving each morning. There was nothing specifically wrong with our stay. Nevertheless, the whole experience was faintly depressing. Was it the dark wallpaper in the bedroom, the compact bathroom, the lack of toiletries, the view of the air conditioning unit or the low ceilings.
On the plus side the staff were all extremely friendly and helpful and breakfast was good. I wish I could be more enthusiastic but I think the overall impression is "functional" rather than "pleasurable".

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Lisburn
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Back again after 6 months and this place is as good as ever! Friendly staff, comfortable bedroom and an excellent breakfast! The leisure facilities are excellent and well run, it's one of the best gyms I have seen anywhere and an excellent pool, sauna, steamroom and jacuzzi! I enjoyed every minute of my 3 days there at the weekend!

Room Tip: 133 was quiet - above the front door, no problems at all and we could open our window for some fresh...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We booked this hotel which is a few miles from Manchester.The hotel was fine but it probably do with a bit of a revamp .The receptionists were pleasant and helpful. The room was clean and adequately furnished. The windows had secondary glazing but it did not fit properly so we could hear outside noise and even with the radiator on it was really cold. We used the spa facilities and the swimming pool . They were fairly clean . The swimming pool was a lovely size and the water was lovely and warm .The restaurant was full so we had to eat breakfast in the pub . Which would have been ok but it was freezing in there.The breakfast was adequate I have had better.
We ate in the pub as we had to go out early evening . The food was average.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Penzance, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Booked into the Hotel for 2 nights on a business trip. Great feel to the Hotel when you enter. Room was a good size large bed (although it was 2 singles stuck together ) Nice size bathroom. Next stop was the gym , plenty of equipment a little busy at the prime times ( expected ) Plenty of equipment . Dinner was a choice of the restaurant or the sports bar. Chose the sports bar both evenings and enjoyed the dinner both times. Liked the healthy options in the menu .The hotel was maybe a little to close to the airport as i could hear some early morning takeoff's ( however i am a light sleeper and a early riser) Breakfast was standard buffet standard, nice selection of everything you would expect. Staff were friendly throughout the visit.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I have had some pretty average De Vere experience in the past, but this hotel for a weekend with my little girl has been pretty good! Positives are the staff are really well trained and helpful. The swimming pool is great for children and not too cold. They also do not have overly restrictive 'adult only times', like other hotels have! I booked a double as that was all that was available, however the receptionist very kindly changed our room to a bigger twin on request. So we arrived Saturday lunchtime and we were able to play on the floor of the room in the afternoon whilst I sneakily watched England v New Zealand rugby in the background :-). We then went swimming for an hour, before having dinner in the pub area. Kids eat free when ordering an adult meal, very friendly and fast service and above all the kids pizza was really good! We then went back to the room, played, watched TV and had an early night.
On Sunday first thing, my daughter was able to play and watch TV whilst I got up slowly, before an excellent breakfast. We then walked across the road to Brunswick park which is excellent for kids. After we returned to the hotel for more swimming!
For £25 we bought a Sunday roast and a late room checkout until 4pm which worked perfectly for our needs.
The negative was there was a wedding and a lift near to the room, so there was noise throughout the night until the early hours.
Not a perfect hotel, but very down to earth, child friendly and we had a very happy weekend! We will return!

• Stayed November 2013
Tracy H, General Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Cheadle, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear johnstonjosh,

I am really sorry to hear of your experience and after looking at your booking I can see that you have booked a double room which unfortunately do not have an ipod docking station, we only provide these in our Upper deck room.

The team and I do take all feed back seriously and I am aware that you, and your son have taken the time to email our Reception team to share your feed back and they have responded to you both. I believe they are now awaiting a response from you.

Broad Town, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

Last month I went to machester with my dad to watch a TV show live. After we were very tired and went back to our hotel, we booked the hotel as a adult plus one child room. When we arrived, we were greater with a tiny room and one bed. As a result of no other bed for child, we contacted reception and they said they would send up a bed. Time past and still no bed, they rung us later on to say they couldn't give us one because it would cause a fire hazard. Where in fact, it would have been, at the end of the room it would have been in no ones way. So I took a small rug off the floor and slept under that for the night. I revived zero sleep and had the worst night ever. Also, bathroom was tiny in need of refit, iPod dock wasn't there when told it would be, no side table for water and a tiny footstalk, not a chair. CHECK THEY HAIRDRYERS, THEY ARE CLOGGED WITH DUST AND CAN START A FIRE! Never going back. Very disappointed!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Tracy H, General Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Cheadle, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear johnstonjosh,

Tracy Harrison

Travellers are raving about these Cheadle hotels

Samlesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I stayed here with my husband whilst attending a wedding near by. The hotel itself is very pleasant with good public spaces and facilities. However, our room was tiny. The bed was a double but there was only room on one side for a bedside table. It looked as though the space was meant for a single bed not a double because the bedside wall lamp on one side was very low over the bed.

The gap between the wall and the bed on one side was very narrow.

The bathroom had a men's razor on the side left from a previous guest and there was no soap in the dispenser over the bath.

The room was very hot and didn't seem to have any temperature controls. The air con or something was noisy all night.

The bed was uncomfortable and our stay was disappointing. The breakfast buffet was enjoyable though. We did complain to the receptionist who was very professional and we were given a much reduced rate so thank you for this gesture. We would have complained earlier but we didn't check in until very late and we were exhausted. I know lots of people who have stayed here previously who did not have this experience so I think we just got a bad room...not good though!

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get one of the small rooms.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Steph847,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I was really sorry to hear about the issues your experienced during your stay but delighted to hear that these were dealt with proffesionally and to your satisfaction.

I am at the Hotel most days should you wish to discuss your stay with me further.

Tracy Harrison
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheadle
Cheadle House
#1 of 3 in Ashton-under-Lyne
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
Best Western Plus Manchester Airport Wilmslow Pinewood Hotel
Village Hotel Manchester Hyde

Been to Village Hotel Manchester Cheadle? Share your experiences!