“Christmas Party”

Village Hotel Manchester Cheadle
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Cheadle
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Booked a Christmas party ( post Christmas) for 6 via Groupon deal. Paid £14.50 each. Worth every penny. A real effort was made on the décor of the room, food was really delicious, including the veggie option, music was brilliant (Motown and Soul night), and a late bar, 1 a.m. The prices at the bar were reasonable too! Really enjoyable night and would recommend. I believe it costs £ 25 normally and even that is good value for money.

Room Tip: We didn't stay overnight
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,382)

Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

This is a review of the gym / leisure facilities at the hotel.

On Amazon Local the deal was 10 passes for £10.

The reception staff were fairly rude. First visit I signed up no problem. A tip, don't give your telephone number / email (or give a fake) else you'll be on the marketing list forever more.
When I signed up the staff member was friendly and asked if I needed a padlock. You simply gave your keys (or other personal belonging) to them and they swapped it for a padlock.

Second visit when I asked for a padlock I was told by a different rude woman that this is not policy and that she would only make an exception once. Nice way to attract full time members.

The male changing rooms were grotty. There was mould in the shower and toilet areas. The ceiling in the shower area is very low.

The gym was lacking in weight equipment / free weights.
The ceilings are again very low and it feels claustrophobic.

Could not see any clocks in the gym either.

The swimming pool was ok but quite cold.

The sauna and steam room and area outside were stinking. I think there must have been a problem with the drains.

The showers for the pool were out of order and so were the showers on the way out of the changing rooms heading towards the pool.

All in all NOT worth a monthly membership fee. Not sure of the exact price but over £30 per month.

If the offer comes back on Amazon for ten sessions for a tenner that would be worth having.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank Ad_Reviewer2014
Reviewed 1 January 2014

So, thanks to Kings of Leon and Boaby Williams all the City Centre Manchester hotels were booked out. I was sent to the 'burbs'..
The Devere Village Hotel is a faded, seen-better years suburban hotel in leafy Cheadle on the Southside of Manchester, It is perfectly adequate as a hotel. The rooms are of a 'trying-to-be-hip' in a late 90's early noughties kind of way but the beds are comfy and the rooms (I stayed in Upper Deck whatever that is) are pleasant enough, it even has its own little sit-in Starbucks. It is rather off putting though that every time you wonder in and out of your hotel you are met with sweaty spandex be-clad gym bunnies of varying guises. The staff are all perfectly polite if a little non-plussed.
My biggest gripe was the food. Yes, hotel food is usually entirely over-priced and there is no exception here with mains being around the price of a good city centre establishment. This is where the comparison ends. I tried on two occasions the food on offer and both times I got 1980's school diners with fancy names.
Because of its weird set-up, lycra lovers littering up the place, dated interior design and some of the most woeful hotel food in Christendom I give this hotel a big fat "Colonel Tom's" Northern Fried Chicken sized 1 star.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank CoinMc
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed Christmas Night, as we have relatives near by.

Room was large, and comfortable, hover the bed & pillows were not as good as a Premier Inn.

We made use of the pool in the morning before we left, which was great, its better than your average hotel pool.

Overall, at the same price as the Premier Inn - which it was on our booking, we would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I stayed here as part of a wedding party so not aware of its proximity to the airport when I booked. If you want to wave to the passengers in planes going over it might be a bit of a strain but you could certainly collect logos and serial numbers etc if that is your wont. I mention this as sound proofing from things like the glazing become a bit more important and I found that the window frame fitting in my room was defective. Room was over the main entrance and that part of the building nearest to the busy road that runs past the hotel. I reported this after the first of my two nights. Disappointing then to find on my return form the wedding that nothing had been done and no feedback left about the issue that I had raised.

The room was small and I can see that at one time it was probably fashionable,if not a little 'chic', however the heavily scuffed paintwork, greasy stains around light switches etc were testament to the passage of time and failure to maintain (see window comments also).

I was told on checking in that I had been given a room near the rest of the party/family. This did not prepare me for the walk around the labyrinthine corridors ('but it is on the same floor') somewhat reminiscent of The Shining. Whilst we had all paid the same rate agreed for the party the reception had managed to allocate rooms of obviously different standard to various members of the party. I'll crack the code one day of how hotels allocate rooms, I will....

Breakfast was good. Evening meal in the same dining room on Friday evening was not. I tried to remember if I had ever returned a meal because, after waiting a long time after ordering, it was cold. I don't think I ever have but did so on that occasion. Waitress was pleasant and took price of coffees off the bill.

Drinks at the bar on Saturday evening has the ambience of a Weatherspoons but then the Ritz it is not.

Check out involved an enquiry on my part about the window problem (it would not have been mentioned by the staff). I was told then that it had been checked and they could not find a problem.... I was asked if I thought it needed maintenance or an engineer to sort it out. Sadly not an answer I could give as my profession does not equip me for this level of expertise. So I left, the service issue unresolved and perhaps for the next client to recommend a remedy.

Room Tip: Seems to be pot luck, building is built in a diagonal direction away from the road and rooms further...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank marbh_tuirseach9
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I stay at the village frequently for business on a corporate rate. The normal rooms can be basic and in need of freshening up. The bathrooms look tired and in need of refurb.
The only two pluses for the hotel are the sports facilities namely a decent pool, good gym and squash courts, and the bar. (which has a couple of decent ales on too)
On this most recent visit, I was upgrade to an "Urban" room. The rooms are worth the money and ask for one in the new wing. The bed is great, the duvet plump and at least the bathroom is clean and modern. Free water is provided and enhanced tea and coffee facilities.
On arrival, I was allocated an urban room in the main building which turned out to be two double beds in separate rooms and a sofa. Parts of the hotel suffer from noise (including the squash courts), and when I took a mid afternoon nap after an early start, all was peaceful. However, I was working up an hour later by the thud of squash balls, and the thumping of squash players as they played for shots. To be fair, the receptionist moved me to the urban rooms in the new wing which was at least peaceful.
My biggest gripe this trip (and there is always something at this hotel) was the restaurant in the evening. The menu is not particularly inspiring, hasn't changed for months and is based on meat / fish and grills. Staff are scruffy in jeans, trainers and branded polo shirts. The service is so hit and miss - even on quiet nights. (asking for the bill three times, chasing an order etc) Last week the restaurant was busy and both Manchester clubs were playing in Europe. The service was slow, no recognition, with a 20 min wait before the order was taken. FIVE times the waiter returned to check the order, the fifth time to tell us that one of the starters had run out. Drinks were forgotten and I ended up going back to the bar to get it myself. The food is average with a lot of it frozen. Some of the staff were more interested in the football than decent service. The service is disjointed, unprofessional and overfamiliar. (I'm not your mate!!) Next time IF I stay, I'll walk into Cheadle to eat to just make life easier.
Its a shame really, the hotel could be really good. Receptionists and bar staff are really nice and friendly. However it is poor value for the quality of the rooms, and frankly my preference will be to stay in Manchester City Centre and commute back to Cheadle. So disappointing

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 December 2013

The rooms were nicely furnished, free wifi, and a nice comfortable bed. The room however was incredibly dark. There were no ceiling lights, and only 1 large lamp in the corner. It made the place a bit depressing to be honest.

One word of warning, it directly in the flight path for Manchester Airport so you have large jets flying overhead at strange times of the night.

The food was excellent, although you didnt feel exactly full after finishing your meal. There is a gym, spa and inhouse starbucks

I would stay here again, but it could be made much better my putting a few more lights in

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheadle
Cheadle House
Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
#1 of 3 in Ashton-under-Lyne
Village Hotel Manchester Bury
Best Western Plus Manchester Airport Wilmslow Pinewood Hotel

Been to Village Hotel Manchester Cheadle? Share your experiences!