“Average”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Cheadle
West Hartford
“Average”
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Pretty average hotel, breakfast and reception food ok, staff very helpful.

Big let down ludicrous bar prices for functions.

I use local village hotel and their normal bar prices are high enough without raising them for function room bar.

• Stayed May 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Just returned from a 3 night stay in a double standard room on a B & B basis. We have stayed many times before. The room well equiped, clean, everything worked. The only problem was difficulty opening the window as the room was quite hot. However, we managed eventually. The breakfast was very good with lots of choice. the staff were pleasant and cheerful and there was no delay with the provision of tea/coffee and seating us. The only minor issue was that on the saturday morning breakfast was not available until 08:00. We had plans that involved an early start. When the restaurant opened at 08:00 there was quite a few people waiting and would have also preferred it earlier. However, Sunday i would agree with the later breakfast. During the week 06:30 ideal.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

At first I thought it was due to the fact that I had arrived fairly early - then I stepped back outside to find out that the daylight was indeed brighter than the inside of this hotel.. Luckily the reception desk was straight ahead, but that's all there was...Does this hotel have any staff?? Once I found a couple of employees, I then felt guilty for disturbing their conversation about how to fall down stairs drunk.. No matter - they would not be deterred by the inconvenience of having to deal with me - they didn't even make eye contact and simply waved me on to my room. Finding my way through the gloom, to the room was sad but at least easy enough. I sat on the bed which was very comfy, and noticed the vast array of different pillows available. Forget togg ratings - get your mind round these! :-) So I logged into the free wi-fi (dangerous, I know) to get on with some work, as it would be some hours before my meeting.
Towards the time of my meeting - it seemed that I had no phone signal - so off I popped to reception. Still no phone signal - what's this building made of?? Then it all became clear.. It's not a hotel - it's a secret cavern or bunker! So off into the rain I walked - again - getting in the way of the hotel's deliveries coming through the front door and being tutted at by the staff who don't make eye contact.
Never mind - I managed to conect with the lady I was having a meeting with.
So we then decided that in order to actually see each other - we would search the hotel for a glimmer of light - and we found it in the Victory Bar! a nice little conservatory, so great for using a laptop, but at least we could see each other. I asked for an orange juice, and this I got - I can't tell you what it tasted like, at the table had such a slope to it that when one of the jets passed what felt like only 10 feet above us it simply slipped off the table - neat trick! I explained this to the staff (in the bar they do in fact make eye contact), and the answer seemed to be to have me pay for another...
Not wishing to cause a scene, I paid for another drink. This time I had to place it on the window ledge behind me and not on the table, as I now had more faith in the structure than the fittings.
We concluded our meeting - fairly quickly as neither of us wished to leave blind, but we decided to have a quick bite to eat.
The menu is a bar menu, so I would never be expecting houte cuisine... I did simply ask for a a tuna sandwich. Now - I am a lady who is in her mid 40's, although I am lucky enough to look a tiny bit younger! :-) However - when the "sandwich" turned up, I thought that I had the wrong meal - this was clearly something either created by a child or intended for one. Let me explain. Instead of the traditional mini baguette, or two slices of bread or a bread roll/bap etc - The "child" chef had decided that this was far too simple, and had created a "block" from slithers of stale white bread and butter, with the tuna as a clear after thought!? with a small pot of cirsps on the side. Now - I do have all of my teeth, so even a side of salad would have been nice - but this must have been the unhealthy "child" chef on today.. As a grown up - I dont tend to wish to have my bread in "soldiers" - especially when caked in butter - a simple brown roll with a bit of salad on the side would have done - not the gluten, with fat, with more fat on the side.. I didnt eat it - I simply opened the door and gave it to one of the workmen. He thanked me, but said - "ooo - bit salty love"!? That would be the enormous amount of butter you've just consumed - here - have a crisp instead!
Nobody came to ask if the meal was ok, nobody cared - it seemed that eye contact was the best I was going to get here. Not wishing to detract from the positivity of my business meeting, I paid for the gluten fat and the flying OJ, but I'll stick to meeting there on a sunny day with a bottle of water, and bring my own sustinance - shame, as I've been sending business to this place for over 11 years - my, have times changed.. :-(

Room Tip: You do have to understand that you are on the main flight path of an international airport, so you h...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank kaiflixx

Travellers are raving about these Cheadle hotels

West Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I spent lastnight at the De Vere Village.
First impressions of front of house were efficient, wellcoming and informative.

I was not expecting the room to be as well appointed- an upper deck room

-very effective climate control system
-tastefully decorated with comfortable quality linens
-modern screen entertainment unit with FULL sky channels
-docking station speaker system
-very comfortable bed, numerous pillows, high thread count crisp cottons
-Starbucks coffee/tea facilities
-modern tasteful bathroom with quality toiletries, especially liked the heated condensation free mirror

Although i stayed just one night it was the type of room I would have been very comfortable spending several days in.

What didn't I like?
-lack of soft close toilet seat didn't match the quality of the bathroom fittings
-whilst plentiful the bathroom towels were not of the best quality
-very cheap thin toilet tissue, says a lot about an establishment

I did eat in the bar and this was perfectly acceptable.

Wifi very effective within room and public areas

I found the room and public areas to be spotlessly clean during my stay

All the staff were found to be friendly and efficient by myself and my colleagues.

Room Tip: Invest in an upper deck room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Great staff great hotel dont know where these people come from find any excuse to complain. book and see 4 yourself aircraft noise yes rooms a little stuffy yes but everything else spot on.
Booking in a breeze room great free wine and chocolates Sky sports on the box what else do u need.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pete H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Very tired hotel in all areas. Unfriendly staff, and unhelpful in general (try getting a coffee at the reception coffee shop one minute before closing!).
Room not ready upon arrival even though they were previously advised that a specific time/event was being attended (we would have stayed elsewhere if they couldn't accommodate us). When a fuss was kicked up, guess what? The room was miraculously ready! Sheer laziness of staff in not checking, and following the party line of 'your room is not ready'.
The rooms themselves are extremely basic. No aircon and our fan fell apart when touched (so much for good legal electrical testing). Evidence of mould in the bathroom, and only soap available for free in the bathroom. Our view was of a roof and aircon vents. Rooms are stuffy and even though we were first floor overlooking the ground floor roof, the windows could only be opened one inch - do they think guest are children and going to throw themselves 3 ft out of the window? Do they have a burglary problem? Either way, room air circulation is very poor and this makes the rooms even more stuffy.
Public areas are dirty and in desperate need of a facelift. Low ceilings and little natural light do not help but there is no effort by the hotel to brighten reception up.
Concierge is a bit of a joke. After leaving our luggage my son collected it later and upon his return half the items were missing. I actually had to go into the locker room to identify our belongings, at which point I could have claimed some other guests items and not a glance would have been given (not ticketing/receipt system in operation so it really is a free for all and do not leave valuable items with them).
Staff are rude and curt. We arrived for breakfast ten minutes before closing (a guess really as no one told us upon arrival of restaurant timings) to be told 'you are late, we are closing, you can only have what is on display'. Add that to our welcome of things not being ready and no one caring, no one to help with luggage to the room, not even any directions to the room being given, etc etc and you can see the staff are not that keen. I was not the only one to report on the staff - my group and two other groups all complained. It made no difference even though as three groups we accounted for over 30 rooms! Clearly, size of business makes no difference to your treatment (not that it should, but they didn't really care that none of us would come back in the future and that's a lot of disgruntled people).
Overall, it's a room and that's all you can say. And an expensive one too for what you get.
If you have a choice, forget this hotel.

Room Tip: there are no good rooms so the best room is at another hotel. Room views are simply attrocious in th...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Hotel is ok for what we paid ... but that's all. So dark it's like walking into some kind of underworld and the rooms are no better - we could barely see each other in the gloom! Quite noisy as right on the flight path from Manchester airport and fans from the bathrooms on either side, above and below don't make for a restful night. On the plus side, the bed was comfortable and sheets clean. Could be so much better but I just don't think they're that bothered.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheadle
Cheadle House
Village Hotel Manchester Hyde
Didsbury House
Didsbury House
#9 of 117 in Manchester

Been to Village Hotel Manchester Cheadle? Share your experiences!