“Cheadle House mystery”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Cheadle
Scholar Green
“Cheadle House mystery”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed overnight on the £19 sale, so great value. However, our sleep was disturbed at around 6.30am by a continuous banging noise, which continued for almost half an hour. My wife thought it might be some sort of laundry machinery, whilst I would have guessed it could be a child running around in the room above. Anyway, when we mentioned this to reception on checking out, they could offer no explanation whatsoever. On the subject of checking out, 10am is for me a ridiculously early check-out time. We didn't have a breakfast, which was just as well because we'd have had to get up early to eat it. Ok if you're on business, but no good if you're on holiday. One other criticism was the layout of the bathroom. Where you'd expect the toilet to be next to the wall, it's next to the bath and the sink is next to the wall. Subsequently there's nowhere to fix the toilet roll holder. It's screwed to the wall behind your head! I've never seen anything like that, I wasn't annoyed, I found it quite amusing, but surely they don't need telling that it's completely ridiculous?

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Matt S, Front Office Manager at Cheadle House, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
Dear neilsarah,

Thank you for your review of Cheadle House, I am truly sorry that you found imperfect elements to your stay, and equally we are all mystified by the banging you report from outside your room - this is definitely something we will be looking in to for the future.

I am aware of the issue with the toilet roll holders in a couple of our bedrooms, and we fully agree that they are not the most convenient, however the bathrooms were installed prior to our taking residence here and moving the layout is somewhat difficult in these bathrooms, as you may be able to appreciate. We do continually review our feedback and will definitely be taking all of these points on board for future works.

Our standard checkout time is in line with many surrounding hotels, and as you note, we do provide mainly a business traveller base. Please rest assured that late checkouts are offered subject to availability and can be arranged with our reception team upon request.

I do trust we can welcome you back in future.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Peterborough
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

First, cheadle house is an Amazing building... The devere group have heavily modernised the interior but it somehow doesn't work for me.

On booking, we advised that we were visiting with a very young child and were given a great sized room, which we were permitted to go to before official check in time however we didn't expect to be located above the disco and the bar. At 2200 the disco was in full swing and the room was almost part of the party due to poor noise insulation then however the bar started emptying bottles into the bins - arrrrgh! The reception area moved us to another room and handled the issue well helping us to move our belongings.

The room we were moved to was not great - much smaller and almost grubby with a very soft double bed. That said it was quiet and we appreciated a good sleep.

The rooms are not individually air conditioned and due to that many people including us grumbled of hot rooms! Opening the windows sort of helped but then you hear aircraft flying over to Manchester airport every few minutes so not perfect.

Breakfast was great and good quality.

Overall, would i stay here again? Yes, but I would look at other options first.

• Stayed August 2013
Matt S, Front Office Manager at Cheadle House, responded to this review, 1 September 2013
Dear pvtbackup,

Thank you for your review of Cheadle House. Firstly may I apologise for your initial bedroom allocation, this is agreed as an unacceptable placement fo your bedroom and this is a matter I shall address with our Front of House team as room allocations should be such as to avoid any disturbance from events taking place. I am glad however that this was resolved by the team here and an alternate bedroom allocated.

I will also further discuss bedroom cleaning with housekeeping to ensure standards are met, and we are currently in the process of updating, cleaning and decorating bedrooms to ensure standards are retained and improvements made where necessary.

We do hope to see you again in future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

The outside of the Victorian building is beautiful which is more than could be said for the room we was allocated. Our double room where do I start??? The carpet was very stained, the bathroom had dirty footprints all over the floor, the tray had only decaffinated coffee (in fairness we did ask for more coffee & milk which was promptly brought to our room), we had only one bedside table with one lamp so had to use the window sill for night time water etc, I have stayed in many De Vere hotels & this did not match the usual standard, it was more like a guest house. There were no cups for the free flowing coffee in reception & no biscuits as stated in the description. You do get aircraft noise but we expected this as we were close to Manchester airport so that was not an issue. We previously stayed in the Wychwood Park De Vere Hotel in Crewe earlier this year, paid the same price & this was superb. Positives.........the location was brilliant & that was it we would not stay at Cheadle House again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Matt S, Front Office Manager at Cheadle House, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear Sue C,

Thank you for your review of Cheadle House; we were all extremely disappointed that you did not enjoy your time with us and for this we are truly sorry. As a leading conference and events venue, we do pride ourselves on service and standards and it appears that on this occasion, we have let you down.

We sincerely regret that your room your room was not up to the expected standard and please rest assured that your stay is not reflective of the typical standard we aim to provide, indeed it is agreed that teh standards you experienced were unacceptable.

Your comments have been passed on to our housekeeping team for further review and action as it is truly unacceptable that you found your room to be of such poor cleanliness. We will immediately act upon any matters brought to our attention and to this end we would happily have arranged an alternative bedroom for anyone who raises such matters to our attention (subject to availability) - owing to the layout of the hotel, all our bedrooms differ in size and layout, and my reception team have been fully advised of your comments for future room allocations for guests staying with us.

I do hope we can resolve this matter for you satisfactorily and I have taken the liberty of sending you a private message with my contact details so that I may investigate further and ensure the matter is brought to a satisfactory conclusion.

Benfleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I stayed here with my family in April for one night. The rooms were lovely and the staff went out of their way to help us. It is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in.

The duty manager was particularly helpful, he carried all our suitcases to our rooms and provided hot water and utensils for the special diet of one of our children.

We would love to stay again.

Room Tip: Some rooms are slightly larger than others (we had two rooms), however both rooms were very nice and...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Chrismary26
Dear Chrismary26,

Thank you for your excellent feedback regarding your stay with us, we were all delighted to read your comments and your feedback stands as testimony to the exceptional service we always strive to provide.

We look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

cardiff
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I am a coach driver and stayed here a few weeks ago with a group of American tourists who, as we know can sometimes be a little "hard to please". By the time I left I promised myself I would stay here whenever I could.
We stayed for 4 days and I did not have a single complaint from the group. The food was very good, the room was great and the staff were superb. They could not have done any more to be helpful. From the "zombie geese" to the 15 pizzas, everything was brilliant. My only niggles, (and they are trivial) no air con in the rooms and as the airport is near could get a little noisy, but if you are staying here you are going to know its close to the airport.
All in all 10/10.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Matt S, Front Office Manager at Cheadle House, responded to this review, 24 August 2013
Dear bod007,

thank you for your glowing review of your time with us; we were delighted to play host to your coach party and yourself, and we are so glad that we made their visit to the UK a fantastic one and that yourself also had a great time with us.

We hope to see you again soon, hopefully on a personal as opposed working visit.

oswestry, england
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I stayed here after working late, if you're quick you can usually get a double room for £39 which is great value. The building is on a business park, but only a mile from a town centre if you do want to go out to eat. Being where it is though, its so quiet at night, until 6am when you can maybe hear the soothing sound of planes overhead. The room was spacious, though you get the feeling no two are the same, decent bath and shower, and fresh but firm beds. Spotlessly clean throughout. Simple enough check in. Not really a place for a special weekend, though maybe for a wedding or a party, but perfect for a stopover, and much much better than a Travelodge. They do food as well, and there's a bar - my only gripe was my £7.40 glass of wine. Yikes. Still, the room was such a good price, I didn't mind that much. I'll certainly stay here again when I'm working late.

Dear shaunsouthern,

Thank you for your great review of Cheadle House, we were all delighted to read your comments regarding the standards of the hotel.

You are right in that no 2 rooms are exactly the same, which is a unique benefit we have to the hotel and a feature that many of our regular guests love.

In relation to your feedback regards wine prices, this is something we continually review and your comments have been passed to our Food and beverage team. These prices are in line with many venues in the local area and we do continually review them across the network of venues within the brand to ensure they remain competitive.

We look forward to seeing you again soon, although hopefully not after working quite so late!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2013

It is a good hotel in a Victorian building but with a very modern feel. The lounge has complimentary coffee and biscuits which is a nice touch. The staff were very friendly. My room was large with a comfortable seating area. A colleague was in a standard room and did complain that it was on the small side so could be worth going for the superior rooms. Breakfast was pretty standard hotel buffet fare but of a decent standard.

1 Thank edinburghguy1
Matt S, Front Office Manager at Cheadle House, responded to this review, 17 August 2013
Dear edinburghguy1,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Cheadle House. The entire team are glad that you enjoyed your time with us.

As per my previous response below, we do have varying sizes of bedroom, but the largest premium rooms are definitely the more spacious option as you quite rightly advise. We do however try to ensure that the snmaller double rooms are not used for couples unless necessary to ensure that all guests are afforded ample space within their rooms.

We hope to see you again soon in the near future.

Kind Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheadle
Village Hotel Manchester Cheadle
Pymgate Lodge Airport Hotel
Etrop Grange
Etrop Grange
#67 of 118 in Manchester

Been to Cheadle House? Share your experiences!