“Service was top notch”

Dining options: Reservations
Portland, Oregon
“Service was top notch”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I stayed 2 months in Sablet in 2012 so took several opportunities to eat at Les Abeilles Both the waiter and the cook were extremely pleasant and the service was top level professional. The food is really good and decent but not as exciting as Le Mesculun in Seguret, where lunch on the terrace is a must. If you want a truly rotten expensive experience try the much touted L'atlier de Jean-Luc Rabanel in Arles. We had a special introduction to the Jean-Luc himself but we still had rude, rushed service with less than imaginative food.

I am a bit baffled by the reviewers who rate Les Abeilles as poor when they left without trying the food. It seems a bit unfair to give it a bad tick when you didn't have the whole experience. Ignore the rude lady and open your mind.

• Visited June 2012

Sherborne, United Kingdom
“Oh dear ...”
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Oh dear, how disappointing. We have been staying in Sablet and had been looking forward to our lunch at Les Abeilles, but have come away feeling let down.

It may be that he cannot do this (and I suspect this may be the case, as he was the same with everyone else), but if only the waiter had smiled at us, we would have felt welcome. As it was, we felt rather the opposite.

The menu at Les Abeilles is built around an unchanging core (at least so it seems, having first seen the menu online, several months prior to our visit), and it seemed to me that the chef, having perfected it long ago, had lost interest. I chose the 'le €32.50 menu', which allowed an entrée and plat 'au choix'. My entrée was the 'Terrine d’agneau', and there was nothing wrong with this, except that it was bland, without excitement. The accompanying pickled vegetables providing the high spot.

I had had high expectations of my plat, the 'Pied et paquets', but these too were dull, and the sauce - just like an English boarding school dinner. Oh dear! Worse were my vegetables - surely these must have been heated up in the microwave before serving? Where was the Provençal élan, where was the flavour?

My partner ate from the 'Les fétiches' menu (€20), and was not disappointed with her ' Ragoût de pâtes aux légumes', although the accompanying 'salade verte' was dull. Her 'dessert du jour' was crème fraîche with strawberries, perfectly acceptable, but so dull.

A Sablet restaurant should surely do better than this?

I should say that my wine was good and not over-expensive (€8 per 50cl carafe), and the tapenade (served with breadsticks at the beginning) was well-flavoured.

1 Thank Acreman38
Perugia, Italy
“A wonderful experience”
Reviewed 11 May 2012

My friend and I stayed in Sablet and ate one lunch time at Les Abeilles. The setting was beautiful, service excellent and the food exquisite. We ate terrine, fresh asparagus and lamb that melted in the mouth. The chef, Johannes, spoke with guests and he was delightful.

All in all, a memorable experience and highly recommended.

• Visited May 2012
“Charming restaurant--beautiful food!”
Reviewed 22 October 2011

Our lunch at Les Abeilles recently was world class. There was a wild mushroom tart for starters. The pastry was flakey and melted in your mouth. The lamb entree was cooked perfectly and very flavorful. A local Sablet rose was served. Don't miss an opportunity to dine here.

djursland
“Still an extraordinary experience ..”
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Whatever happened to those who were not content I just do not understand. We - two families - have visited Les Abeilles twice in 5 years. Not much but both times food, wine and service were outstanding, a total-experience. Second time - this summer - our grown children came along and absolutely enjoyed the experience with us. The hostess manages to balance the fine line of being around and not filling the room. Very professional and yet relaxed. The young waiters still seem need some time to loosen up :-)
We would love to come back a third time. For a restaurant with food of this quality we find the price level very acceptable. Get a table outside if the weather allows it. The courtyard/garden is lovely to be in on a good summer evening. May we also recommend Les Genets outside Sablet and the Mesclun in Seguret. Although these are not quite the same standard as Les Abeilles they are still very good restaurants.

• Visited July 2011