“Jo63Garstangs”

GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Jo63Garstangs”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The food is very good but some one should first sort out the Landlord as he is not at all a sociable
person in fact I would say he is a little! unpleasant and for that reason it only gets 3 stars
Tell the landlord to go and watch T.V and leave it to the staff and I would give it 5stars

4 Thank Joe M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We have just returned home from 3 night stay at The New Inn. The hotel is so lovely, the decor creates a very relaxing enviroment. Our room was comfortable and clean, the bed was super comfy with enough room for a family of 4 and a big dog. The owners and their staff did a wonderful job of making us feel at home, they obviously are very proud of their hotel and this shows, there is alot of attention to detail in every room. We ate every evening in the hotel and the menu was varied and every meal that we ordered arrived looking like it had been made with love, all fresh ingredients, nothing frozen or microwaved. Dont hesitate book your stay now.

1 Thank Margo H
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Our friend's wedding was due to start at 1pm, and when I booked the hotel we were told check in was at 2pm. The pleasant, helpful woman who I spoke to on the phone when booking the hotel, assured me she would try and ready our room for our planned arrival time of 11am, but there could be no guarantees. Fair enough. On the morning of the wedding, I rang the hotel to confirm our arrival time and to ask if our room would be ready. A stern, miserable sounding Australian gentleman answered and told me our room would indeed be ready for 11am and if he could not book us a taxi, he would drive us to the wedding ourselves. On arrival, we walked into a bar area and I asked a gentleman if he knew where the reception area was. He replied (in an Australian accent) "this is the reception area!" - not the most warm welcome, but he duly led us to our room. The room we had booked was a £105 deluxe room. The bed was a very soft, ultra comfortable double bed. The bathroom was clean, tidy and very pleasant. A nice assortment of biscuits, teabags and a kettle also. Shame the TV didn't work. We ended up getting a taxi from the New Inn to wedding venue, The Traddock, 1.9 miles away and 5 minutes journey - the taxi cost us a TENNER! To quote my uncle Mel "even Dick Turpin wore a bloody mask" at 9pm, I fell ill, not wanting to stick around and get vomit on my blazer I rang the New Inn and the Australian gentleman said "I’ll come and get you now" shortly followed by a dial tone. The lack of goodbyes was a small price to pay if it meant avoiding another extortionate £10 taxi fare. The bathroom was ideal for kneeling at the toilet, vomiting aggressively and rolling over to engage the shower. However the room temperature was way above comfortable, especially when coupled with the warm early summer climate outside. Also, venturing out into the hallway to turn the landing light off my partner was accompanied by a rather large grey looking insect on the carpet. Waking up the sound of mooing cows, reminded me that we were actually still in a small country village and we made our way downstairs for breakfast. After settling our bill, we were directed to the restaurant area. We had no idea what the protocol was. After sitting about at a vacant, uncleansed table, I went and asked a member of staff and she told me to sit and wait to be served by a waitress, 10 minutes later the waitress took our orders and promptly returned with our full English breakfasts. Small portions, but Heinz beans will always get my seal of approval. The hot beverage machine however, resembled a faceless R2-D2 and wasn't the most obvious contraption to use... especially when it dispensed lukewarm, at best, water. I dangled what most resembled a traditional English tea bag over the mug, and thought to myself "Am I really going to drink this?" - I took a swig of grapefruit juice that tasted like paint stripper (not the fault of the New Inn of course) and we left.

5 Thank doctorglover
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

The meal we had I feel was over priced. The pork dish especially over priced. I was presented with two small pieces of pork, the bottom end of a piece of carrot, a smudge of I think was carrot and swede and a dribble of gravy. Not worth over £18. Can't fault the decor or the staff.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Shazzer123oldfield
Cramlington
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Groupon inspired, but booked direct when enquiring re. availability, a two night B&B for two, with first night's dinner for £127 was the result. Big old pub has been really well refurbished - we booked the last available room that weekend - in "annexe", but accessible indoors from main building, via "sitting room" in process of refurb. - it was immaculate "as new" with excellent bath/shower room; only disadvantages were view of service area/neighbouring buildings and proximity to kitchen extractor system which was loud enough to close windows. Food in restaurant was excellent and the 3 courses were generous in size - we ate there again on the second night - more modestly, game pie on a "special" recommended. Wine was expensive (£19.50 for a bottle of red). Good "real ale" available in bar with a jolly atmosphere.
Location in village centre was ideal for walks uo towards Ingleborough and along through the fields to Austwick (which also has a fine pub).

Room Tip: Book early to avoid the annexe if you want a view and no extractor noise.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

When planning an overnight stay in the Dales, i found it pretty difficult to find somewhere that catered for families, that was a little bit luxurious and wasnt chinzty! but then we found the New Inn. The pub/hotel has recently refurbished to a fantastic standard, our room was absolutely gorgeous and very spacious even with 2 extra beds added for our children. Really modern, bright, white, clean room, huge king size bed, very comfortable. The owners were still putting the finishing touches to the refurb (upstairs lounge area not finished, wi fi not available in rooms yet) but this didn't detract from the loveliness of the hotel. The food is bistro style, a little fancier than your average pub menu, but very pleasant. The staff were very friendly and helpful and couldn't do enough for you. The children's menu was quite ambitious I thought (lamb, barbecue chicken burger and omelette bites - I think) probably could do with a more basic option to cater for fussier tastes. But I was really impressed when the chef happily produced chicken breast, mash and veg for my 2 children as an alternative, which they declared delicious and quickly demolished! I would agree with other reviews that breakfast isnt quite so impressive. Once again it was served quite bistro style and probably could do with being a bit more hearty, especially for those setting off for a day walking. Overall though, a great place to stay

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ali H
Lancashire
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The new owners have done a great job with refurbishment of the rooms and updating the tired (and rather grubby) public areas that we remember from our last visit. Our room, one of the smaller doubles, was nicely furnished and fully equipped and the en suite bathroom beautifully designed and fitted. On the downside, being on the ground floor alongside the path from hotel door to car park meant we had to keep curtains closed. Also, why no hook for a bathrobe and no receptacle for toothbrushes? Those are minor points however and don't much detract from the overall impression of comfort and even luxury, even if the tariff is rather ambitious. The bar areas are clean, comfortable and attractively decorated and there are four cask ales on offer along with the usual array of lagers, bottled beers and a short, unimaginative list of wines. Being a large party (six couples) we were not offered the a la carte menu for dinner, choosing in advance from a limited fixed price menu of four choices each course. This appeared excellent value at £20 per head and the starters and desserts were, indeed, tasty, well presented and of good quality; some of the main courses, notably the salmon served on a bed of prawn risotto (ordered by four of us), were dried out and barely edible. Had the dining room not been so busy (there was a party of 29 walkers being served at the time) these would have been sent back to the kitchen - but we decided there was nothing to be gained by complaint in these circumstances. The serving staff, young and not so young, were all friendly and helpful but appeared overworked. Breakfast next morning was disappointing. I don't object to DIY toast but instant coffee is not acceptable at this price, nor is tea made from tea bags plus hot water from a thermos. Bacon (cooked in the oven, we were told) was dry and my "bacon and tomatoes" comprised two small rashers with a single half tomato on a very large plate. Maybe if the kitchen were not so busy, the food at dinner would be better than we experienced - but the quality of the breakfast really should be addressed. To sum up, the rooms are comfortable, the staff are friendly, the bar is welcoming (although very crowded on the night of our stay) and some of the food is very good - just don't expect a first-class breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Blackbobbo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clapham
The Traddock
The Craven Arms
The Craven Arms
#1 of 1 in Giggleswick
The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa

Been to New Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!