“Off the Beaten Path”
Review of Road to Nowhere

Road to Nowhere
More attraction details
Owner description: A scenic drive through the Great Smoky Mountain National Park.
Peekskill, New York
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Off the Beaten Path”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I like seeing the less popular areas of the Smoky Mountains. Also, I feel like a broken record in my reviews, but we travel with our dog. Although pets are not allowed on the trails, I appreciate that they are allowed in many areas including a stroll through the tunnel and surrounding area. I think it is worth the ride up there and if you don't have a pet, you can explore the trails more than we could.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank UncleJackNY

Plantation, Florida
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Very cool”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This place is very, very, very, cool. The floor in the tunnel is very muddy. Wear sneakers (or tennis shoes). Overall: Worth it!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Tyler418
Pembroke, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The wild hog and family story lol!!!”
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

For one we had a wonderful time... 2 we were so amazed to see a black wild hog... 3 my daughter got it confused with a bear lol... 4 She thought it was coming right 4 us which it was...5 Everyone scattered it was so hilarious...I was like don't run don't run y-all... But now if I would've known it was a wild hog I would've been running to lol... Thats were the road to nowhere took me today... what a hilarious story to tell my friends my guy friend was even running lol...

3 Thank tissy1977
Selma, North Carolina, United States
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“kind of creepy but very intriguing”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The road is hard to locate so you need to do some google searching and bring a map (GPS might not work). It will also help to look up the history behind the road. Once you find the road, you will see a sign that says "welcome to the road to nowhere, a broken promise 1943-?". That is how you know you are at the right place. The drive is nice and you will come up on some barricades. This is where the creepy part comes in. Beyond the barricades is a tunnel. Beyond the tunnel is the end of the road. Construction halted due to environmental issues. The issues were resolved but the road was never completed. A cash sum of $52 million was paid to the county in lieu of completing the road. You can walk up to the tunnel and you can even walk through it. For more info, check out the link below.

Visited September 2013
5 Thank Glenn B
Dallas
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Hard to find”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

It is tough to fond by the GPS so we had to go old school- maps and asking locals. The road is Ok, nothing special about it. There are couple scenic views of Fontana lake. The road ends to a tunnel which was pretty muddy so we did not venture inside.
Ok, if you want to kill some time

Visited September 2013