“Incredible setting, wonderful people - a special place”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moholoholo
Moholoholo Forest Camp
Reviewed 6 October 2013

My wife Charlotte and I stayed here for two nights on our honeymoon - my second visit, her first (and her first safari experience). I had high expectations from my previous visit in April 2012, and it did not disappoint.
The setting is truly incredible, the buildings tastefully styled inside and out so that they blend into their beautiful surroundings. We saw nyala grazing outside of our cabin regularly. The visit to the Rehab Centre was enjoyable and really informative - Moses was a great guide. The drives were also fascinating, helped by the knowledge of our drivers. Finally, spending time round the camp was a joy, comfortable and homely, every staff member making us feel at home. Many thanks to Kate, John, Cody and the rest of the team for an unforgettable experience. We hope to return soon! Geoff & Charlotte.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

We only stayed at Forest Camp for two nights, but wished we'd had longer there. The rooms are beautifully done with views out to the game park so you can watch the animals and birds. The staff were really friendly, helpful and knowledgable about the wildlife. Both the night game drive and the early morning walk were fantastic as we saw loads of animals and birds and learnt a lot about them and their habitat. All in all a very special experience.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Our second visit to Forest Camp this year and I always leave wanting more! Managed by Katinka who always goes beyond the call of duty for her guests and makes one feel like family.
The camp is built into the Forest with Nyala, Bush Buck grazing around the chalets. We heard Hyena and Hippo during the night and of course the resident troop of Baboons.
Pork Chop the resident cheeky Wart Hog joined the breakfast party.

We stayed in Chalet 10 - 2 bedrooms, lounge and exquisite bathroom - very luxurious .
Food and service - just wonderful.
Tea/Coffee always available in the lounge .
WiFi
Great wine selection at the honesty bar.
The Camp is so relaxing/peaceful we did not want to leave and do anything but of course that would be a complete waste .

Bush Walks are very educational and a pleasant change from Big 5 hunting.
Sunset or Night Drives - also a great experience.

The highlight of our second stay was a Private Tour of Moholoholo Rehab Centre - Brian the manager and his team are totally dedicated to the animals in their care, supported by a team of volunteers from around the globe their work never seems to be done. To spend 3 hours learning about the animals, their stories and hope for the future is fascinating.

Forest Camp guests have un-limited access with a Ranger to the centre.

Room Tip: We stayed in 2 bed chalet 10 - all are luxurious with beautiful linen and towels
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank familybrown176
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights prior to flying home to Australia. We didnt actually go to the rehabilitation centre as we went to Khamai Reptile Centre to do a photo shoot (which was amazing).

The location of moholoholo is at the base of Drakensberg mountains. My friend and I shared a bungalow which was lovely, clean and spacious. We were there during their cooler months, whilst there was no heating in the rooms, they were reasonably warm, i used a hot water bottle in bed at night. The restaurant / meals area is also an open so I would recommend dressing warm. Kate was lovely, very friendly and helpful.

The animals tend to wander around, there were some nyala's near our room as well as some baboons (at different times).

The rehabilitation center is near by, one morning they walked up to breakfast about 3 lion cubs which were not small! Whilst they are very cute and fluffy, they are still wild animals and if you get young children (or even adults) near them who will possibly run up to them... who knows what could happen. Lion's tend not to let go of something once they have hold of it which proved true when they took a cushion cover and wouldnt let go... hence a new cover was required after the lion had finished playing with it.

It was a lovely stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 April 2013

After a long flight to Jb and drive from Jb to Moholoholo, we (three families 2+2) got a very warm and enthusiastic welcome by Kevin - our guide during our entire stay. Kevin really made our stay special for each of us. The setting of the camp was beautiful, close to Drakensberg.
Both the chalets and the common rest and dining areas were really nice. Having the children in one chalet and adults in another was not a problem. One of the families had a very nice chalet with two separate bedrooms. It was really special to see so many animals close up, like young nyalas playing with each other outside the chalet and warthogs eating.
We had both night drives and morning walking safaris inside Moholoholo. Kevin were good at finding both very small insects and different animals, as well as tracks. Taking good care of all animals/reptiles/insects were in focus, so even stopping the car when ants crossed the gravel road was fun.
We also learnt a lot during our trip to Moholoholo rehabilitation senter. After a fun and interesting introduction, guides followed us around the sendter and tought us about the different animals, how the animals had been injured, how animals were endagered, rescued, relocated /reintroduced to its natural environment. Animal - human conflicts, pollution etc.
Thank you for an excellent stay!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I was fortunate enough to stay at this wonderful camp for 2 nights in August 2012.I was speechless when I first saw it at the end of the drive from the highway. What a wonderful setting at the foot of the Drakensberg mountains.I stopped here after going to Kruger which is another review before flying to Victoria Falls.To have the animals in touching distance (but one does not touch) is amazing to wake to the sounds of the monkeys coming out of the trees is also amazing and to hear Big Boy from the rehabilitation centre roaring is also amazing.
The camp has a drinking pond for the animals and a hide at ground level so you can experience the animals at their level.The only complaint I have about the hide was that it was opened outwards and quite a distance to the ground so landed with a thud which did frighten the animals and also made it difficult to close.Unfortunately when I was there I do not think many people had used the hide as there were quite a few cobwebs over the hinges and that is a shame that it had not been used.
The staff where always courteous and pleasant.I liked the idea that the manager sat with you for dinner and more than happy to answer any questions .
Breakfast/dinner/lunch was served on the balcony over looking the pond where the animals came to drink or outside so that again you could observe the animals wandering around especially the resident Nyala that would wander around the BBQ.
Jarods night drive to see the animals is a must and even though you may think you will not see anything you will be surprised.I saw giraffe,zebra,wilderbeast,impala and an aardvark how lucky was I.Dress warm as the nights are cold.
The next morning before breakfast Jarod took us on a walk to a waterhole where resides a hippo another must thing to do and in daylight you will see the animals of last night except the aardvark which is an noctornal animal.
Jarod had told us that of a night as the camp sleeps zebra and giraffe walk through as evidenced by paw marks not to mention the resident Nyala.
Close by is the Rehabilitation Centre for wild animals another must thing to do.To pat a cheeta, feed a cheeta ,see first hand a cheeta run so amazing to hear the noise of the paws on the ground and have a bird of prey land on your arm is just - words cannot explain.
More importantly is to listen about the plight of the leopard and how the centre is trying to reeducate farmers and instead of shooting the leopard but trap it in a cage supplied by the rehab centre so that it may be relocated.
To see how animals having been caught in poachers traps will never be released because of injuries sustaned.
To meet the resident warthog named Wartee and to get up close and personal with a honey badger are just a few of the atractions of the rehab centre.
To see the multi cultural volunteers who pay to be there carry out their duties with care and concern for these animals is just amazing.
No need for me to post photos of Moholoholo Camp as other satisfied guests have done that so I will post some photos of the animals.
I can highly recommend the camp and the rehab centre.

Room Tip: There is no tip I believe all rooms would be good mine over looked the water hole and I was able to...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 April 2012

In the middle on nowhere in the African bush there is Moholoholo Forest Camp and it is beautiful. You sleep in bamboo huts that lets you listen to the sounds of nature throughout the night. In our case it was foremost two nyala bucks trying to warn each other off the territory.
The mosquito nets are arranged in a way that makes you feel royal and the bathroom lacks of nothing.
Food is great and hotel lobby, honest bar and dining room very sober with interesting details.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Margareta L

Been to Moholoholo Forest Camp? Share your experiences!