“Nice view of Canal, rooms are basic and bland. 1 b/r = studio room too”
Review of The Marina Hotel

The Marina Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mindarie
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Highlights are the very comfortable King Bed, Free WiFi, large balcony with views of canal and the large renovated bathroom with great twin head shower. I paid for a $195 1 bedroom and got a hotel studio room, thus their advertising is a bit misleading. Lowlights were Polished concrete floors in the room, ducted A/C is noisy and struggles in Summer, small desk to work from, tiny fridge with no mini bar, single seater chaise to watch TV, no foxtel. Dined at the "Boathouse" with just about the entire menu being fried - thus it was ordinary too say the least.

Room Tip: You would want to be upstairs for a canal view
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Brad290

Reviewed 2 March 2013

Cannot comment on the accommodation but the Boat pub/restaurant is pretty good if more than somewhat crowded on weekends. We usually visit during the week and have found it to be a good lunchtime watering hole and eatery. The fish cakes and squid are particularly enjoyable. Maybe a tad expensive but not bad value for money considering where it is. Beware marauding gulls and don't leave you food unattended if eating outdoors!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank BQ1
Reviewed 8 February 2013

We were here on a Sunday afternoon and had to wait for seating as they were packed to the gills. The food was nice, a bit pricey but typical of WA, and the view across the marina is lovely. Don't go here if you want a quiet romantic moment though.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 January 2013

We took overseas visitors to the 'Boat' recently.
Food not as good as usual, the fish was good but sliced very thinly, service was crap and wait staff had 'attitude'..... the bar manager also had 'attitude' when we spoke to her about the lousy service and the GM did not reply to my email detailing problems we encountered. This place is also getting very pricey for what you get.....never go here again...lots of other venues around. The dining/drink area was only 3/4 full on a public holiday......it has always been crammed with patrons in the past....obviously other people feel the same as us now.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We stayed here as we wanted to get out of Perth for Australia Day. Both my Husband and myself along with our two girls aged 8 and 6 were amazed. The room was big beautifully decorated and clean. We had an amazing night and would stay here again

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Kristy A
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I booked a room for a special occassion recently, which was advertised as Marina or Ocen View Spa room. We were given Room 2, where the room itself was nice, not over-furnished (to the point that the walls were bare) with polshed concrete floors with a large bathroom with a single spa bath fitted. Downstaris there a a couple of hotels offering good food an other specialty shops etc.

However, you do have a balcony which is fitted out with a table chairs to enjoy the view over the back end of the Marina, but more importantly your main view is the outdoor beer garden and smoking area of one of the hotels below. Not to mention that there was live music being played in this area also, so the balcony doors could not be openned due to cigarette smoke and noise to enjoy the experience.

There is a pool available which was not clean at the time and the space around the pool was 'bland' with no furniture to make you want to use the facility.

Recerption closes at 6pm and if you have any after hours issues, you have to locate the on duty Security Officer.

Woulkd I stay there again, no I would not.

We were given Room 2

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Trying to find a sub $300 hotel room in Perth at short notice was proving pretty difficult, so I ended up in Mindarie Marina about a 40 minute drive north of Perth. This far north of Perth I was expecting something a little special for this sort of money. I was unfortunately about to be disappointed. Arriving just before 9pm I was a little surprised to find the hotel in darkness and seemingly abandoned. After searching in the darkness I came upon a sign that stated reception closed at 6pm. Luckily my mobile phone wasn’t quite flat so I rang the mobile number on the sign. A very helpful security guard soon came and took my credit card details and kindly showed me the way to my room. Large and minimalistic would be the best description with polished concrete floors and a balcony overlooking the Marina. I was also slightly hungry so I looked for somewhere to eat, I was informed that the kitchen shut at 9pm and as the only other choice was an Indian restaurant, I settled for a beer and some nuts. Not too bad so far. Sleep proved to be slightly difficult, Room 1 overlooks the beer garden and the revelry and laughter arising from there didn’t enable a rapid transit to the blissful state of sleep. I did eventually get to sleep only to be woken very early by the cleaners washing down the beer garden. I would suggest avoiding Room 1 at all costs. Breakfast at the Dome café was pleasant, although a little pricey ay $23, for bacon and eggs on toast, an orange juice and tea. But then again I do find the costs of food in WA to be pricey compared to other states. On trying to checkout, I again found that reception was closed, it doesn’t open till 8am. Luckily the same security guard who was on duty the night before returned my call and let me in, he sure works long hours. The nice lady on reception also arrived early and helped me out so I managed to just get to my meetings by 9am. Lovely and helpful staff at Mindarie Marina, but I don’t think I would stay here again, especially at $250.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 1, it over looks the beer garden and is noisy
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Stewart B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mindarie
Joondalup City Hotel
Joondalup Resort
#1 of 1 in Connolly
Hillarys Harbour Resort
#1 of 1 in Hillarys

Been to The Marina Hotel? Share your experiences!