“Hidden Gem”
Review of Mangrove Lodge

Mangrove Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chuini
Reviewed 24 August 2014

My family spent 6 nights at this wonderful lodge, hidden away at the end of a long and bumpy road! The gardens of the lodge are lush, there is a private beach and stunning views of near-by ruins. Marina and Haji were gracious and kind hosts. We spent half the time on outings (Spice Tour, Stone Town) and half on the beach, simply relaxing. The tour guides and taxi drivers arranged by Haji were wonderful. Food at the lodge was the best we had on our vacation in Tanzania- fresh seafood, wonderful breads and vegetable dishes and local fruit. Our last night Haji arranged a barbecue and brought in local musicians from the town. Marina was so trusting and sweet- there had been a problem with my bank transfer to pay for the accommodations and Marina trusted me to send her the balance via PayPal once I returned to the states. If you want an intimate and friendly experience in paradise, I highly recommend the Mangrove Lodge. I hope we can return some day!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
mangrovelodge, Owner at Mangrove Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Dear Denise, thank you so much for your review and for staying with us. It was a pleasure to meet you and your family. Our aim is to take care of our guests like friends for a homely and relaxing atmosphere. All the best!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Travelling by myself, my biggest concerns were safety, comfort and getting a real Zanzibar experience in my 4 short days on the island. Mangrove Lodge exceeded my expectations by not only fully catering for these things, but by offering me so much more! My experience at Mangrove was simply amazing, and I could not imagine anywhere more perfect to stay. My safety was taken care of by friendly, respected drivers, organised (by Marina and Haji) to pick me up from the Ferry Terminal and take me everywhere I wanted to go in my 4 days. Upon arrival at the lodge I was welcomed so warmly by Marina and Haji, I immediately felt like part of the family. The lodge offered not just security and comfort, but a paradise where I wanted to spend my days - with delicious dining options (I loved the mix of Italian and local cuisine), incredible people, gorgeous surroundings and the beach only a 2 minute walk from my bungalow. I was in heaven. Marina and Haji organised drivers and guides for me each day, providing me with incredible tours of Stone Town and a spice farm, authentic local experiences (thanks to Haji), as well as a fantastic day at sea on a Safari Blue day trip. I highly recommend Mangrove Lodge to travellers of all kinds (couples, solos, families) - you will not believe how much you get for such low costs! A huge thankyou to the wonderful Marina and Haji, to whom I owe my trip of a lifetime to. Emily

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Emily C
mangrovelodge, Owner at Mangrove Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Thanks Emily for your review! It was lovely having you stay with us. We thought you were very brave at such a young age to visit Africa on your own so it was our pleasure to "look after" you, even though you didn't really need it. We hope you enjoyed your time in Iringa after staying with us and if you are ever back in Zanzibar, please visit us again.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

The selfish part of me absolutely does not want to write a review, because this little lodge is an amazing secret--a place of peace, privacy, and relaxation. Oh yeah, and there is a private beach where you can be alone with the water (except for the occasional dude washing his ox) and the price is crazy low. Marina and Haji are generous hosts, who make you feel not only welcome, but involved in local life. Haji drove us all over the island and capably fielded our questions about Zanzibarian politics. Marina pried us with Italian pastries... They also helped us to book snorkelling day trips and arrange for transport to and from the airport. And how's this for generous: on our last night, they actually helped us book another hotel in Stone Town with a rate they knew we (students) could afford. In the end, though, we wished we'd just stayed put with Haji/Marina. Mangrove Lodge close enough to access/dine in/explore Stone Town while still being the beach escape you dream about. A word of warning, though: Don't be put off by the rocky road leading to the lodge. It's worth the suspense/bumps.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank edyer07

Thanks Elizabeth for your kind review! Our aim is to make our guests feel at home and in true Italian style that means we will feed you! Also Haji loves sharing his knowledge on local culture to anyone who will listen so thanks for being great listeners. We hope to see you back here again! Say hi to Kash and Julie.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I was there 2 days ago and I still can't get over it.
I loved every single moment of it!!
Haji and Marina are the nicest genuine people..they really look after their guests.Their staff are also very delightful and always ready to help.
The food is amazing!!
The beach is out of this world..so private and heavenly.
I enjoyed every moment of the few days I was there.
I'm definitely going back and would recommend anyone to.
Thank you again Marina & Haji.

Jackie

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank JackieCherop
mangrovelodge, Owner at Mangrove Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Thank you so much Jackie for your review. We are glad that you appreciated our lodge and hospitality. A snack at night, hints to organize your holiday, and lift to town to make our guests feel at home. Welcome again.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This place was a real find. The lodges are set out in a lovely shaded garden, with a beautiful view out over a small cove of turquoise water and fishing boats. There is a private section of the beach where you do not get any hassle at all. Marina and her family really are fantastic and made me feel very much at home. They have lots of local knowledge and can help arrange anything you might want to do there. The food was great, especially the seafood, and the breakfasts which included all sorts of local breads, and lots of fruit (and eggs too if you can manage more). Ask to try the orange and ginger juice.
The rooms are peaceful, cool and beautifully decorated. Each day the bed was decorated with a different pattern of flowers. There was plenty of space to unpack, and the showers were lovely and warm.
I don't think I could have been happier anywhere else on the island.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Suzi H
mangrovelodge, Owner at Mangrove Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Hello Suzi, It was a pleasure to meet you and we are so happy that you enjoyed your stay, relaxing time after your effort in the mainland! Simple, natural and inspiring are the main features of our lodge for a good life. We hope to see you again when your travel reachs Tanzania once more!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Mangrove Lodge is as close to perfection as an eco-lodge could be. It instantly gives you a home-away-from-home feel. The warm smiles of the hosts Marina, Haji and their beautiful boys give the place that extra special touch. The tropical garden is well designed and laid out, yet blends naturally with the surroundings, with plenty of mystery and charm left for garden lovers to explore. You should see the fresh food selection that Marina puts together everyday. It certainly beats the menus served up by the luxury resorts hands down. There are a couple of quiet corners looking over a small quiet beach that I would love to snuggle into every day with a loved one or with a book. Exploring the ruins next to Mangrove Lodge is an experience in itself. Mangrove is about 10 mins away from a horse riding stable, 15 mins from Stone Town, and 30 mins from a lovely fishing village where you can snorkel with dolphins. Marina was telling me about all the cooking and cultural activities that she was planning to organise for her guests. Unfortunately I didn't get an opportunity to experience them on my last trip. However, they sound great, and I would love to come back for more. If you are an alternative traveller, with a sense of curiosity for local culture and an appreciation for sustainable tourism, I cannot recommend Mangrove Lodge highly enough for your next visit to Zanzibar. Simply an outstanding family friendly and couple friendly eco-lodge, which may come across as rough in edges to some (intentionally), but very charming indeed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Duc D

Duc, thank you for having joined our family and lodge and enjoyed our tranquil and secluded place. Our new activities, bike and horse riding, and cooking lesson are ready. Welcome back soon!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

For responsible travellers on Zanzibar this lodge is a must. It offers a beautiful ambience with a great garden with mango trees and plenty of little cute animals such as bush babies to spot there. The owners are some of the nicest people to meet on the island. The view on the beach and the mangrove forest is as picturesque as the rooms are comfortable, clean and cosy. The breakfast, lunch and dinner offers are a delight for a very reasonable price including the catch of the day. If you like the budget youngster-hangout directly at the beach this is the wrong place to go. For all the other Zanzibar travellers this place can provide you with an unforgettable experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mamb0p0a
mangrovelodge, Owner at Mangrove Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you very much for your review and for your long stay. And above all for your great understanding of our Lodge's essence and responsible attitude.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chuini
ZanziResort
#7 of 13 in Jambiani
Pongwe Bay Resort
Pongwe Bay Resort
#3 of 6 in Pongwe

Been to Mangrove Lodge? Share your experiences!