“Secret Garden paradise”

Ranked #4 of 14 Patnem B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Secret Garden paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

I could not recommend Secret Garden highly enough. we had a beautiful 10 day stay here over Xmas/New Year 2013. at first we were disappointed about not being on the beach, but actually it turned out to be better, to step away from it into this peaceful retreat. & it feels like home. that is largely down to the lovely Nazir, Monica & the boys. they were so very welcoming & helpful. I loved our hut, hot water luxury! & the garden areas are just so lovely, you can see & feel how much they love their place & I find it hard to imagine not feeling the same. the food was great too & I loved the 'room service' morning tea to your own verandah! my friends did the morning yoga on site too, another great benefit. I would definitely hope to come back to stay here again - happy memories!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Caroline W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

We came to Secret Garden directly from Copenhagen, and were slightly worried that our 3-year-old would have a culture shock arriving in India. This was not the case. He had a blast from day one and because the Secret Garden has a fence and gate we (his parents) could relax and let him run around.

From the very first correspondence, Nazir was more than helpful and was not less so in person. He and Monica made our stay wonderful - always smiling, always making us feeling at home and always ready to sort out anything we might need. We felt totally welcome at all times and our little one still raves about them.

Secret Garden itself is beautifully maintained and our hut was spotless. Having travelled around India extensively my husband and I can easily say that this is one of the cleanest places we have stayed. The same goes for the kitchen - you can look right in at the guys cooking, and all the food handled in a way that even made me - heavily pregnant at the time of our stay - completely at ease. The food itself was delicious, especially the vegetable thali! Also the way the indian food was adapted to a 3-year old danish boy's palate (at our request) was amazing. Chicken Biriyani all the way!

The only thing that might be seen as a minus is the location. Secret Garden is not directly on the beach. For us that was not an issue. The walk is not too long - about 10 minutes on short legs/ with a huge baby bump... Still, I thought I would mention it.

If we ever find ourselves in that corner of the world, we will most definitely come and stay again. We felt safe and welcome: The place doesn't offer luxury but lovely, clean huts, tasty food a great atmosphere and a helpful and lovely staff who are part of our best memories of our time in Goa.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank albertsmor
MK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

Second time back and so lovely to see everyone again.The food was wonderful. I was made to feel so welcome I am going back in March with my children ! Thank you for your hospitality and can't wait to see you again soon.

• Stayed January 2014
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

I chose to stay at the secret garden because of the generally excellent reviews on this site. I enjoyed my stay but felt the place was slightly over priced compared to other accommodations in the area , it also has the feeling of being slightly neglected. The yoga mats are really dirty and the rooms are not cleaned, a friend staying there asked for her room to be cleaned during her stay, two days later nothing had happened. The staff are very friendly and the huts are nice, the food and drink are good. However I feel the place needs a facelift, the communal chillout area was scruffy and a little shabby the restaurant area is dark and a little uninviting. It would not take much for this to be a fantastic place, just a little more effort and attention to detail.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank McNoogle
kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

We were travelling as a family group of eleven including several children and arrived on the night bus from Hampi. We were told the bus would get to Patnem around 6.30am. However wonderful Nazir and Monica were not fazed that our travelling circus rocked up 4am, even though we were not due to book in till midday!
This lovely peaceful haven was one of the best places I have stayed in India, clean, safe, friendly, great food and run by such good people. When you consider how low the prices are by western standards and what you get in return it makes me wonder why we ever want to stay in hotels. There is great ambiance here, which is reflected in all the guests. Just a shame that we only had two days here at the end of our trip. Much better than staying on the beach, no crows, dogs or crashing waves meant sleeping was good in the best beds and the first hot water we had on our trip. Would definitely stay here again, thank you very much, Lisa x

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank kentlisa
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

The great place ever ! I planed to stay only one week but the place and the owner, Nazir, were so wonderful that I stayed 3 weeks there ! I loved my room wich in fact was a little independant house (called "Sun Flower"), everything was very clean, calm and convenient. Nazir makes the best food inSouth India (loved the breakfast with the "chaï" - ginger tea). Secret Garden is a very peaceful, cosy, and friendly place : the others guest used to chat all together at night in a very warmful spirit.
Plus, the garden is an amazing place and I loved waking up with the birds songs.
It's very well located between the party place (Palolem) and the chill place (Patnem).
If you like great place with great people, Secret Garden is the place to be.
I wil back next year in january, please book me a room Nazir and wait for me :)
Gaëlle (Paris / France)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Gaelle K
Cupar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

I stayed at Secret Garden for just under a month in October and struggled to leave to go home. The resort is a tranquil little slice of paradise and for me Secret Garden became my own personal sanctuary where I could relax and unwind (away from the noisy, commericalized beaches and tourist traps) during the second half of my stay in Goa. I stayed in the Rose hut and it had an incredibly comfortable bed, clean bathroom, and a great view of the yoga space below. I felt secure with the locked gate every evening and especially enjoyed the amazing food and drink. I will never forget morning chai, or Nazir's speciality teas (tulsi and ginger delish) and the evening meals were outstanding. I look forward my return trip and visiting my Secret Garden family again soon.

Room Tip: Rose and Lotus have the best views, with Lily and Sunflower being the quietest. All are fabulous...