Schulphoek House
US$114
Hotels.com
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewswine cellarscallopsvegetable gardenguest houseocean facingdecorated roomsbreakfast and dinnerself catering cottagecatfishuninterrupted viewspacked lunchrecommend staying herefantastic viewsour honeymoonjacuzzi bathwine loverscrashing waves
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed the first night in the honeymoon suite which was very comfortable with a nice view, dinner was good but you are cajoled into buying a bottle of wine from their cellar which was overpriced. We shifted to the " Scallop" for the next two nights which whilst comfortable, the room opened out onto a patio which was shared by the other rooms and left little in terms of privacy as everyone else is sitting outside their rooms also. We booked on the basis that this was 5 star accommodation, however it was 4 at the very most. Way overpriced for what it was in our opinion.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rossco888
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Our 2nd stay in this great b&b. Our 1st visit was several years ago so we wondered whether it would would be as good 2nd time round. I shouldn't have worried, it was. Fabulous location right next to the sea. There's a lovely swimming beach 10 minutes walk away (the sea is very cold but wonderfully refreshing). Our room was spacious and very comfortable. Meals are usually around a communal table, which is a great opportunity to meet the hosts and guests over a glass (or more) of wine. The food was really good, home cooked and freshly prepared. And you get to choose your wine from the extensive cellar at the b&b. The hosts are perfect, nothing is too much trouble. I can't imagine not coming back again...

Room Tip: Eat in and you can drink as much as you want !
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jack64
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My son (20) and I stayed here in Sept 2013 and it was a highlight of our trip. Petro and Mannes are superb hosts, catering to all your needs. The twin room was spacious and double beds for both of us. Petro chose a bottle of shiraz for me which is the best I've ever had - now I'm in the UK I can't find it :-(. Mannes and my son got on famously, a late night of whisky drinking ensued..... The weather was terrible when we stayed and our planned cage shark diving and whale watching was cancelled. Petro arranged white water rafting and quad biking in a local wine estate. It was brilliant! I'm 48 & its the first time I've been white water rafting so I was terrified - it was adrenaline fuelled fun (apart from the last set of rapids called judgement day, I chickened out on that one). Thank you Petro and Mannes for such a wonderful stay. I intend to come back in 2015, got to do the cage shark diving!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I was a part of a group vacation to South Africa recently. Three families traveled to Hermanus and had the privilege of staying at Schulphoek Seaside Lodge. There were 13 of us in total (6 adults and 7 children). Let me be clear, we took two flights for a total of 22 hours and then loaded into a bus for a 1 1/2 hour drive to the beautiful lodge. Unfortunately, our trip was somewhat delayed and then we happened upon poor weather for the drive. Our entire group arrived 1 hour beyond the start of dinner. We had weary hungry children, adults who just wanted to be pampered, and so much luggage we were unsure what was to go where.

Truthfully the moment of arrival was the last stressful minute of our 2 nights in Hermanus. We dropped off our luggage, smiled at the warm inviting rooms, and shuffled off to dinner. This was exactly what we needed and couldn't believe our good fortunes.

The poor weather continued throughout the weekend and our scheduled excursions were cancelled due to safety concerns in the ocean. Not to worry, Petra immediately scheduled us a private van and guide making several lovely suggestions for how to spend our day. Mannes welcomed us back to dinner that evening recommending a private hour for the children (and their own personal menu to boot) followed by a fantastic adult meal for ourselves. The children were happy and cuddled in the cottage with movies provided by Petra. We were picking our personal wines in the cellar to match the creations in Mannes' kitchen. Such style, grace, and hospitality.

We absolutely loved our time at Schulphoek. Petra and Mannes have a fabulous house and welcome the smallest of travelers with kindness and elegance. There aren't a lot of locations that happily host children in the environment that Schulphoek provides. Let me say, not only were our children welcomed, but the entire staff went out of their way to provide a luxury experience for each little person.

Hermanus and Schulphoek set the bar for the remaining vacation. Each meal was compared to the talents exhibited by Mannes. Many times when faced with a decision of where to go and what to do, we wished that we had Petra to give clear insight of what would be best for the large group.

We are a group that firmly believes you listen to the locals and take their recommendations. I'm glad we did and that Schulphoek Seaside Lodge was recommended to us. Our only regret, was that we did not stay longer.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SStrat
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This venue is a must for all visitors to Hermanus. The welcome from Petro and Mannes is sincere and the effort they and their staff put in to making your stay a success is remarkable. Don't book any outside restaurants during your stay and enjoy Mannes's food and the excellent wines they have on offer in their extensive cellar.

In the right season, I believe May to November, whale enthusiasts can watch from the lounge area and, if lucky, can have a close up view of one of nature's marvels

Room Tip: All the rooms are good but only one offers the opportunity to view whales
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple