Rapopo Plantation Resort
US$189
US$183
  • Breakfast included
Gazelle International Hotel(East New Britain)
US$223
US$192
  • Pool
US$153
  • Breakfast included
Rabaul Hotel(Rabaul)
Agoda.com
  • Pool
All reviewslobsterdive shopland tourhis teamswimming with the dolphinspapua new guineaport moresbyactive volcanothree nightssmall beachamazing locationclear watersmoking volcanothe food is greatpool sidethe general managernew britain
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed three nights at the resort as part of attending a local festival. Rooms were ice and comfortable. Service was excellent shout out to Joe who drove us around and was such a nice guy. Food at the resort was excellent. However, their pool was a center piece, very nice. It is isolated from town,but that was ok by us since we attended the festival every day. Also, need to reset electricity in rooms on occasion, but worth it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank William S
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed there for 4 days. The Resort Bus picked us up and the drive was less than 10 min. Checkin was quick and we were surprised how neat and clean the garden was, very well looked after.
Our Room was overlooking the huge 25m Pool ( with a swim up Pool bar ) and in the Distance we could see the Volcanos and at night there were beautiful sun sets.
Rooms were spacious with Queen beds, Aircone, Fan, flat screen Tv with a Movie Channel and complimentary Coffee, Tea and biscuits were also available.
If you are in need of a second bed, there is no problem with that. Its a proper comfy one which they will provide.
The Bathroom was spacious, but needed a bit of cleaning in regards to Mould on tiles, the Toilet needed a bit of Bleach clean and the Rain shower was clocked up on one side. The sun lounges were not comfortable due to missing cushions, but hardly anyone used them anyway. Also some Curtain were of the rail, but that can be easy fixed, only if noticed.
No free Wifi !!
A Continental Breakfast was included in our Room rate. The scenic view from the Restaurant was great. We also had Lunch and Dinner at the Resort which was delicious. Prices were not too bad. Try the Lobster !!!!
Every night there were locals who were selling, wood masks, and shells......
While enjoying the Beach walks we met many friendly Locals. Snorkelling, we got told is great, but take Reef shoes with you also when walking at the Beach. !!!! In some parts its not the cleanest. The Resort is a bit remote. Next bigger Suburb with Markets was another 10 min drive by Bus, which can be waived down from the Road site. It cost around $1.00.
I am not 100% sure but I think Tours can be booked at the Resort, which brings you to the Volcanos, Japanese Tunnels and other sightseeing areas, so as boat tours and swim with the Dolphins.
At the Airport bring some time with you, because they go through all your luggage by hand (arriving and departing )they are very strikt.
No duty free Shops, only a very small store which sells drinks and Snacks..
We enjoyed our short stay and like to thank Brian and his lovely Staff for everything. We will be back one day !!

Room Tip: ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank hhx2_12
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Great resort hotel , in a slightly isolated location .
Incredible view of the local volcanos , great pool , great meals
Comfortable accommodation.
Spare beds are added to room , rather than permanent fixtures .
Great snorkelling just off the beach .

Great place to visit
Islanders incredibly friendly .
Children friendly resort and town .
Internet wifi rather expensive though.
Best buy local SIM card for phone.

Room Tip: Ocean view a must
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Tom K
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I just returned from a 3 week trip to Papua New Guinea and Rapopo Plantation Resort was absolutely my favorite hotel. Not only does it have all of the amenities including a lovely restaurant and free WiFi – it provides these services in a setting that is charming and relaxing. I was in New Britain for the annual Tribal Mask Festival, which I enjoyed immensely. It’s not as high profile as the Sing Sings in the Highlands so it draws far fewer tourists. Yet, it has a wide diversity of tribal participants performing their dances in traditional tribal attire and masks. It was festive, fun and dusty so returning to Rapopo Plantation for a hot shower and good dinner was very much appreciated. Also, the ambiance in the hotel was very friendly. I was travelling solo but other guests invited me to join them for meals and conversation.
I f you are planning a trip to New Britain – I highly recommend you stay here, even though it is expensive.

Room Tip: My room overlooked the pool and was quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank Sandra C
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I had pretty low expectations to begin with because of my experiences in Port Moresby, but I was very pleasantly surprised with everything at this resort.

The lawn was beautifully manicured with great views of the volcano. The small beach was clean and actually useable as opposed to many beaches in PNG that are covered in trash from the nearby villages.

Rooms were a bit outdated, but were clean. We went for a 4 day weekend over Easter and they did end up running out of towels, but the staff worked very hard and towels were available again within a few hours. I would highly recommend bringing your own towels for beach and pool though. This was something we had forgotten.

The restaurant staff was helpful and fast. We booked our stay through wotif.com and it included breakfast and dinner. Breakfast was good. It was cooked to order and the staff was happy to accommodate special requests like "crispy bacon" for us Americans. Dinner was good as well. It was to order as opposed to buffet style, which was my fear when we booked with the special deal. The chicken schnitzel is a good choice for anyone who's been missing American-style fried chicken. We meant to order the lobster, it was huge and everyone who had it said it was delicious, but had too many drinks and forgot. The soup wasn't a good choice any of the nights though as it lacked flavor. Our meals also came with dessert. The fried banana was my favorite. Cheesecake was also good.

I really enjoyed the diving through the dive shop on the resort. The dive masters were Westerners and were enjoyable for a chat and much more attentive than other dive masters I've been diving with in PNG. Good idea to get a quote from the dive shop for your tours and diving beforehand

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple