Cretan Village Hotel
Faedra Beach Hotel(Agios Nikolaos)(Great Value!)
US$115
US$111
Naiades Almiros River Hotel(Agios Nikolaos)(Great Value!)
US$69
Blu Acqua Hotel(Agios Nikolaos)
US$98
US$96
  • Breakfast included
Daios Cove Luxury Resort & Villas(Agios Nikolaos)
US$425
US$397
Hotel Bridge(Agios Nikolaos)(Great Value!)
US$69
Orbitz.com
  • Beachfront
Hotel Atlantis(Agios Nikolaos)(Great Value!)
US$58
  • Beachfront
All reviewsagios nikolaossalt waterspecial thanksyou're tiredmariacookerseahoneysupermarket
Reviewed 21 August 2010

These people should not even be runnning a buisness, rude, food was nice but the same thing day after day, how this holiday is advertised as al inclusive is an absolute joke, after reading through the other reviews my oppinion is exactly the same, You don`t pay to go away and be spoken to like crap, charging for ice cream, everything was cheap rubbish, I understand the country is struggling finacially but we sat there one night listening to the staff say "there english just rip them off and make some money". There ws nothing for my children to do at all, and after a while you get fed up with just staring at the view because that was the nicest bit. Don`t bother waisting your money going here is all i can say.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank ami32
Reviewed 8 August 2010

I stayed at the Cretan Village Hotel near Amoudara in Crete with my family in May. First off, the relaxed atmosphere is created by the maverick owner, Marika, her daughter and manager Dragan. The facilities are pleasant, with landscaped pool area, multi-level restaurant area, comfy chill-out seating area, small desk area with internet access and about 40 villas strewn across a steep hillside. These are punctuated with colourful planting, patios and terraces. Inside, the villas are pretty basic but everything is there that you need. I liked the home-made food and the variety of it, including the inevitable supplies of chips to satisfy the children. There is a local beach on the opposite side of the road and many more less commercialised ones a short car journey away. Agios Nikolaos is the big lure, just ten minutes away by car or sightly longer away by bus. The bus stop is close to the resort. All in all, a well-priced, small resort with real characters running it.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank gillupton
Reviewed 17 July 2010

On the 25 June 2010 we left for a all inclusive 14 day holiday to a 4 star hotel in crete.We arrived at the cretan Village Aparthotel at 9am on the 26 June.At 12 noon on the 29th June ,3 days later I was forced to move my family to an other hotel for their own safety.The hotel that you placed us into was a danger to my 5yr old grand child ,my partner and my self.Please view pictures for details.The hotel was placed on a hill so steep that the taxi drivers refused to go up it ,stating that their vehicles would be damaged .Out side my hotel room was a road so rugged that all 3 of us tripped and stubbed toes and feet.Right out side my hotel door was a 2 feet wall with a 200 feet straight drop onto rocks below.The balcony had a 2 foot fence with a 15 feet drop.The walk to my hotel room was so severe that all 3 of us had great difficulty getting to it.My self and my partner both injured our ankles and feet.The final straw was when my 5yr old grand daughter trip for the tenth time.The pool was 2 meters deep square with no shallow end.If in Britain, this hotel would be closed by health and safety.For you to place my family in such a dangerous place is unforgivable.We were forced to make alternative arrangement for the fear of a fatality..The all inclusive was at most full board with alcohol drinks .No snacks ,bottled water or coffee provided between meals.The food was in most part disgusting.There was no entertainment at all provided by the hotel.The location of the hotel was isolated .In summery the hotel was no better than a hostel.I am out of pocket to the sum of 1200 euros.This was the cost of an alternative hotel that I was foced to make..This hotel will seriously injure or kill someone in the future.The hotel refuses to refund any money when leaving aerly.

10  Thank barneydonnelly
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Very bad all rounder .I can only say that the good reviews for this place are made by people who are easily pleased .Rooms and view are the best thing about this place although even this could of been improved if there were more staff to maintain the cleanliness and upkeep of the hotel and ground.Pool turned green on the second week and the trees are so overgrown all over the grounds i nearly had my eye out .All inclusive this hotel isnt and at best is full board with too many restrictions on what you can have and at what time,although finding anything to eat that tasted good was hard and we ended up eating out alot . This in it self proved very costly as the nearest town is an hours walk so a taxi is a must costing 9 euros each way .All the other bad points have been pointed out by mummy of three and mike who were there the same time.Security is also an issue and everyones passport are left behind the desk at night with no one watching over them , we took our 's as we did nt like the thought of them going missing and not being able to escape this nightmare.Just like to thank evryone else who was there as the good company got us through this bad situation....

7  Thank dazza12
Reviewed 4 July 2010

I can honestly say that I have never been to a resort that is run so badly. From beginning to end our holiday was a nightmare. On arrival at the resort (after a 2 hour coach ride from Heraklion airport, which was actually good timing as for others it took 3-4 hours), there was no-one to help us carry our luggage up the steep hill out of the front of the hotel. After lugging our 4 suitcases, 4 hand luggage bags, 2 small children and infant in pram up the hill we went to reception where they told us that the room was not ready yet (1:30pm), so to have lunch and then someone would take our bags up for us. They also took our passsports 'to keep them safe'. Our first meal was lovely, apparently as there were only two families on all inclusive which had both arrived that afternoon (from the same flight), they had not done the usual buffet, so my husband had lamb chops and myself and our two boys had gorgeous omelettes. We were even offered ice cream for the boys for pudding, although they made sure to tell us that it is not usually included in the 'all inclusive package'. After eating we got some directions from a woman who could barely speak english as to where our apartment (2 bed) was. Basically, up 3 long, steep flights of stairs, round a corner, and up another set of wooden stairs. Even after following their instructions we were still unable to find the room as there was no number on the door. Once we found someone to direct us we got into the room, and to give them credit, it was gorgeous. Lovely balcony with beautiful sea views. No microwave or kettle, but it had a hob, fridge and coffee maker. One room with two single beds (one with mosquito net over) and one with double (with mosquito net over), and our requested cot. For a short time, we were content. Until we realized our bags were nowhere in sight, and my husband had to trek off to find them, eventually locating them abandoned in a car park at the top of the resort. When we went down to dinner we were met with a buffet, basically consisting of potato wedgy type things dripping in oil, pasta in thick sauce and meat which was pretty awful. They had salad on offer, but as a family of which most members do not like tomato, the only thing to eat was cucumber. They had coleslaw type things but to be frank they looked awful. Fortunately they had fresh bread (although no butter), and chocolate mousse for pudding. To be honest, I was expecting the food to be a bit strange, traditional greek foods etc, but it really wasn't, just the cheapest plain foods they could find, with a bit of spicy veg on occasions thrown in. Throughout the course of our 2 week stay the food was almost the same every day. With the oily potato wedges at almost all meals (with the exception of a few of the lunch meals which had chips instead), nasty tasting meat, thick pasta bakes with bacon, mushroom or tuna, and jam-packed quiche or plain pizza. On three occasions we had spaghetti which was quite tasty (bolognese or carbonara), and on a few lunchtimes there were chicken nuggets or turkey escalopes, but the salad and bread remained the same throughout. The only pudding offered after lunch was watermelon, and after dinner it was either watermelon or some strange little pastry things that were far too sweet and sickly (and I have a very sweet tooth). There was only ever one pudding option, and on some days there was only watermelon. We waited for more chocolate mousse for the entire fortnight, during which time it only came out on the night we arrived and the night before we left. Breakfast was identical every day. Plain (cheap) cornflakes with milk, bread, jam, butter (thank god, but only ever in the morning), cheese and strange ham, which was more like salami. Tea, coffee, water, orange juice and apple juice (or should I say very strong cordial) were the only drinks available before 11am. You could have a whole apple, orange or kiwi if you wanted, although I don't think it was possible to get into the oranges with the cutlery on offer! They did have a plain yoghurt type thing which I gave to the boys with jam in it though, which went down quite well. Basically, after one week we were bored, and after 10 days we could hardly bear to eat any more of it. Breakfast was 8-10am, Lunch 12-2pm, Afternoon snack 5:30-6:30pm (either plain lemon cake or rich tea type biscuits with tea and coffee), and dinner 7:30-9:30pm. Drinks were cheap versions of apple and orange juice, lemonade, coke and fizzy orange. Local beer and wine (one of each) were available from 11am, and local spirits were only available after 6:30pm. In the afternoon the staff watched over you like hawks while you were getting your drinks/food, which made us feel really uncomfortable. The day after we arrived we decided to get the air conditioning turned on (3 euros per day) as it was over 40 degrees and we had got quite bitten the night before with all the windows open, but it took them until day 6 to get it working, and they responded as though that it was an inconvenience for us to tell them it was not working. We had the air conditioning for 4 days before the temperatures dropped and we decided to get it switched off to save on the extra expense. We had to push the boys’ beds together to cover them both with the net as there were so many mosquitos (and fleas!), and our poor baby was left with no net as there wasn’t one, so he got totally ravaged by them. By the time we returned home he looked as though he had the chicken pox and they actually stopped us to check at the airport to make sure he didn’t! The afternoon after we arrived we went down to the pool (down yet another set of steep stairs from the reception and restaurant), which was a nice, salt water pool, although the sun loungers and general pool area were pretty unsanitary. The toilets were disgusting. We did see a man cleaning out the pool every night though, so thank god for small mercies. We went up to the bar to get drinks (drinks were not permitted to be taken up to the rooms by the way, and any bottled water you needed for in the rooms you had to pay for), where I was asked if I could bring the glasses back up with me. I was happy to do this, although I did find it somewhat unusual. The next day Kristina (who was behind the bar from about 3pm to about 9pm) told me that actually we were supposed to return all of our glasses to the bar after every drink, at which point they would refill the used glasses. Even when we were in the restaurant eating our meals! Unfortunately Kristina did not go the right way about telling us this, making quite an issue of it, clearly not realizing that no-one had informed us that it was their policy. Katerina (who was behind the bar from breakfast until Kristina took over) was lovely. She was really kind, very helpful with sorting out baby food and giving us things to keep our baby entertained, and really made us feel at ease. All in all, she was definitely the resort’s one saving grace. The nearest sandy beach was about 10-15mins walk away, and the nearest town (Agios Nikolos) was 10 mins by car and a 9 euro taxi ride away. The shop next to the resort had hardly any products, not even any nappies. Fortunately, there was a better shop in the resort next door, which also had evening entertainment, although we didn’t find out about this until our second week at the resort. 4 days before we left we were in the reception area having a few drinks and watching the television when the owner of the resort came in and started yelling and screaming at us because our three year old had pulled a small branch off of one of the trees. We tried to explain to her that we hadn’t come to her resort to p*** her off or damage it, and that he is a three year old boy who doesn’t always understand what he is doing is wrong, but due to her limited understanding of English she flew off the handle even more and started accusing us of telling her to ‘p*** off’ and tried to get us kicked off the resort. This attempt did not work, but it did manage to ruin what little enjoyment were actually having on holiday. We spent the next four days longing to return home. Only a few days before that incident a young girl had been refused a drink of coke, and upon later conversation it was found that it was because ‘too much coke is bad for kids!’ Surely the responsibility of the parents, and none of the resort owner’s business? It was supposed to be all inclusive after all! To top it all off, when we came to leave they tried to charge us 42 euros for the cot! So basically, it was a disaster. Definitely a no go for anyone with children under the age of 10 (any children at all really), or anyone with difficulties climbing (hundreds and hundreds of) stairs. It would probably make quite a nice couples resort if they set it out as such, improved the food, gave it a thorough clean, and added a little entertainment. You would definitely benefit from hiring a car if you do (for some strange reason after reading this) decide to stay there. Apparently Dragan (behind the bar after about 9pm) was kind and helpful, although I spent most of my evenings in our apartment as the children were asleep. I can only advise you to avoid this resort, as it is desperately in need of new management and is entirely un-child friendly.

11  Thank mummyxthree